Warranty?

BCable

I know this information is out there, but searching came up with nothing and this forum is just plain ridiculous to keep up with anymore.

I read somewhere that overclocking will void the warranty. It sounded serious, so I was surprised. We have warranties for these things?? (AWESOME if we do!) I just didn't expect to, since it was a obscure, small company.

BCable said:
We have warranties for these things?? (AWESOME if we do!) I just didn't expect to, since it was a obscure, small company.
There are laws for this stuff, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
There are laws for this stuff, you know.

Actually I didn't know. Now I feel stupid.

They're required to provide one year warranty for acceptable use. Playing games and stuff, acceptable. Using it for an anchor, not acceptable.
Don't ask whether overclocking is covered under warranty. That was a mess that we're still waiting on the OPT to clear up.

Overclocking via software is very hard to prove. Overlocking via volt mods and such things can be proven a little easier. And expect to get no warranty whatsoever when you go the hardware route and you end up with a broken Pandora. Also, software overclocking will be limited to 800Mhz if I'm not mistaking.

Wootson said:
Also, software overclocking will be limited to 800Mhz if I'm not mistaking.
The default firmware might have a limit in the official "set your clock speed" application, probably more like 600Mhz (the maximum the CPU is actually rated for), but the speed and voltage is just a register in the CPU. "echo 900 > /dev/whatever/cpuspeed" (I forget what the actual device is) and it goes up. There's no way they can prevent it, and no real way to check for it.

Uh-oh, can of worms fast approaching.... Mali, shhhhh!

What's the Beagle Board warranty say about it? I'd imagine if there needed to be a template to start with that would be it right? Or is that too close to the PC's wildwest sensibility where you can do what ever you like and they dont have to fix anything?

I think i read somewhere that fiddling with the hardware doesn't automatically means you've voided your warranty. Mods to fit the second set of shoulderbuttons comes to mind. Of course, if you mod it, and BREAK IT while doing so, as in not treating it right (here darling, I'll get that soft pillow you like) or simply by doing a crappy job when doing the mod, they arent likely to fix you up. And i guess a case with a pair of drilled holes for extra shoulder-buttons should still be under warranty if the hinge breaks. And so on.

And, reading those that say they cant really tell if you have overclocked, thats true. But in al honesty. This is a enthusiast device made by a few blokes, if not in a basement, then at least not that far away from a basement. Every warranty is going to come out of their pockets. A big company have no real problem with a few 100 guys overclocking there product, and scamming there way in to getting a new product even as they rightfully voided the warranty. A couple of 100 people that does the same in this case would be a big deal... If you overclocked, and feel it wasn't related to your warranty issue, be honest and up front about it. I'm going to guess that anything other then CPU's GPU's and memory that are well and truly dead will get covered, but that is after all a guess.
I don't really see why they would say no to a warranty if you email them and say "Hey, i overclocked this thing of and on for 8 months. Last night when i was watching a movie @ 450Mhz or thereabout, the screen just went black. Sound keept going, so it seams to still work, but the screen is broken"
(On the other hand, if they tell you to return it at this point, and when they receive it it has a big star from impact damage in the screen... Guess your out of luck ;- )

The over all impression i have, is that they intend to adhere to the same policy they had for the GP devices and as far as i know, they were very reasonable.
B!

WizardStan said:
They're required to provide one year warranty for acceptable use. Playing games and stuff, acceptable. Using it for an anchor, not acceptable.
Don't ask whether overclocking is covered under warranty. That was a mess that we're still waiting on the OPT to clear up.

WHATS YOUR ORDER NUMBER!?

Mr B said:
I think i read somewhere that fiddling with the hardware doesn't automatically means you've voided your warranty. Mods to fit the second set of shoulderbuttons comes to mind.
That was a statement that Squidge made a long time ago, and I unfortunately perpetuated. MWeston came back and clarified that opening the case DOES void the warranty, at least officially. He gave an example of a loose ball of solder from an otherwise perfect mod job frying the board. You start tweaking things, you're on your own. They provide the EXT port for warranty acceptable modding.
That being said, if you do open it and solder a second set of shoulder buttons on, and you do make them aware of this if something breaks, they may, at their discretion, take it and try to help. Maybe. They're pretty good guys, and I like to believe if you don't hide things from them they'll be willing to help if they can.
Point being though, if you open the case, don't count on being able to replace the board if something goes wrong.

DEFCON 5 - I think this post can die now as it appears to have slipped Craigix's attention.

Please note: No order numbers were harmed whilst posting this reply.

hahahahhahaha! (@may88)

Poll:
Is anyone going to OC the Pandora even after the original thread which should not be named/linked to? (and anyone ballsy enough to over volt??!!)

WizardStan said:
It's two years warranty in EU
http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/index_en.htm (page nine)

nerach said:
It's two years warranty in EU
http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/index_en.htm (page nine)
Yet another thing in the long list of things I don't quite get right :)

Back