Was Thinking Of Getting A Gp2x Over My Slim

1magus

I'm trying to decide if this is right for me and I'm hoping that some GP2X experts here could help me out
Now for my PSP I use it for NES, SNES, GENESIS, Sega CD, and other homebrew games I was wondering if the compatibility for these emulators are better than on the PSP? EXP: THE Snes emulator cannot run Kirby Super Star or Super Mario RPG
If these work at full speed than thats good but something else bugs me
Back when I considered a GP2X for tis TV OUT abalities I noticed that people claimed it had problems with GBA games and PSOne games now PSOne games I can live without but has the compatibility increased on the GBA Emulator or is it still a mess?
Also what is the maximum resolution that the GP2X is allowed when running on TV OUT?

The Gp2x roughly has the same compatibility for SNES games than the PSP, so no Kirby SS and no Super Mario RPG. Genesis and NES are fully supported and fullspeed. GBA is fully supported as well, and runs better than SNES by far.

PSX support (i.e. PSOne) is under development. I wouldn't bet much on this emulator, thought...

The TV-Out supports up to 720x480, but this high value makes little sense since all emulators and games run at 320x240 or near values.

juanvvc said:
GBA is fully supported as well, and runs better than SNES by far.
Did you intend to say that ? This sounds completely wrong to me. GBA emulation is really far from perfect. The proportion of games running correctly is, as far as I know, much lower than for the SNES.

To be honest, I would not say to a potential GP2X buyer that GBA is correctly emulated. This is just wrong.

Or maybe I have missed a major update, and in this case I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
hal9000 said:
Did you intend to say that ? This sounds completely wrong to me. GBA emulation is really far from perfect. The proportion of games running correctly is, as far as I know, much lower than for the SNES.
I suppose that depends on the game, but according to my subjective and average experience the GBA emulator works great. With the same CPU freq, both emulators achieve similar results in FPS, but the frameskip mechanism in GBA is superior and runs smother than the one in SNES. I suppose that the lower screen resolution in GBA helps a lot.

Of course, I'm speaking about the very last version of GpSP, that was an enormous enhancement in performance and stability.

For example, test Super Mario World 2 in SNES and GBA: it is absolutely unplayable on PocketSnes at any frequency rate, but works OK (not perfect) on GpSP.

Anyway, I prefer SNES than GBA for its screen size and games :)

juanvvc said:
hal9000 said:
I suppose that depends on the game, but according to my subjective and average experience the GBA emulator works great. With the same CPU freq, both emulators achieve similar results in FPS, but the frameskip mechanism in GBA is superior and runs smother than the one in SNES. I suppose that the lower screen resolution in GBA helps a lot.

Of course, I'm speaking about the very last version of GpSP, that was an enormous enhancement in performance and stability.

For example, test Super Mario World 2 in SNES and GBA: it is absolutely unplayable on PocketSnes at any frequency rate, but works OK (not perfect) on GpSP.

Loaded comparison, Super Mario World 2 is a special chip game. I appreciate the compliment though, even if it is completely wrong ^_-

The performance on gpSP for GP2X is not going to be comparable to its performance on PSP (sorry, PSP is just a lot faster). Compatibility should be closer to the same level. I am interested in improving it more.. the code I left off at is faster than what's out now, but there's a whole lot of additional stuff I wanted to do before I can even think of releasing another version.

Exophase said:
juanvvc said:
hal9000 said:

Loaded comparison, Super Mario World 2 is a special chip game. I appreciate the compliment though, even if it is completely wrong ^_-

The performance on gpSP for GP2X is not going to be comparable to its performance on PSP (sorry, PSP is just a lot faster). Compatibility should be closer to the same level. I am interested in improving it more.. the code I left off at is faster than what's out now, but there's a whole lot of additional stuff I wanted to do before I can even think of releasing another version.

So you are saying I should stick with my PSPSlim or a :gp2x ? Cause as far as I can tell the PSP Slim has some problems with emulation I think.

TylerAW said:
So you are saying I should stick with my PSPSlim or a :gp2x ? Cause as far as I can tell the PSP Slim has some problems with emulation I think.
It is not that easy. I wouldn't dump one for the other. They both have some plusses and minuses. I would get both or keep the PSP. PSX and GBA will never be as good on the GP2X as they are on PSP. Other emus are about the same on both. All emus on these systems have "problems" they are not perfect for either. It is just the nature of emulation on low powered devices like handhelds. MAME can be a bit better on the GP2X just because it is a better port. The GP2X is also nicer to play vertical games like Pac-Man etc because it works better rotated as the controls are then like an original Gameboy.

The main thing that can be a plus on the GP2X is the screen aspect and resolution match many emulators better so you don't have to use the scaling and filtering that you do on PSP which results in some loss of sharpness. If you don't mind that filtering on PSP then there is not much advantage.

I prefer the GP2X mainly because it's the underdog. People look at it and ask "is that some sort of Gameboy or PSP?". And I can reply "No, it's a GP2X".

Support something a little different, there's enough mainstream in the world already.

slaanesh said:
I prefer the GP2X mainly because it's the underdog. People look at it and ask "is that some sort of Gameboy or PSP?". And I can reply "No, it's a GP2X".

Support something a little different, there's enough mainstream in the world already.
It is kind of cool to have something that "no one else" has like the GP2X. I feel more L337 as any boob can wander into a store and buy a PSP :p

I like the scene around the gp2x very much. People get to know each other if they are active in the forums and you can see how developers work right on the spot. Everyone will offer you help if you ask the right questions. Also if you wish to develop yourself, there is so many ways to do that. The gp2x supports fenix and gamemaker, there is toolchains for SDL, Allegro and a lot more. Even for that there are dozens of tutorials, an active community that can help and so on and so on.

So I would always choose the gp2x over the psp-slim if I had the choice. Lately there is more flaming and more stupidity in the community though. But still not as much as there seems to be in the psp scene as every idiot owns a psp.

xnopasaranx said:
I like the scene around the gp2x very much.
Seconded.

xnopasaranx said:
Lately there is more flaming and more stupidity in the community though. But still not as much as there seems to be in the psp scene as every idiot owns a psp.
True, but there are cycles to the stupidity. When a new console comes out (Especially when the company is new to portables like the GP32 or PSP), it seems that there are less idiots in the community, but as time goes on, the console spreads out and more uh... "less savoury" people come on board. :p (Ugh, that could come off as a pun. I didn't mean that. <_< )

The gp2x is better why it has a new d-pad and touch screen, The gp2x is made for emulation and they play far better than psp also gp2x has a cradle which you can connect hard drives and control pads psp can't do that, avi movies drag and drop no need to convert psp can't do that, here are differences in the emulators:

1)genesis emulator gp2x is perfect,psp horrible sound and slowdown in most games
2)pc engine gp2x looks crystal clear,psp screen it looks blurrish
3)Neo geo mvs gp2x superb,psp the roms need to converted which is crap
4)mega cd gp2x very good,psp is not available
5)snes gp2x good,psp not perfect no way near as gp2x

Here are the few examples nothing on the psp plays perfect when it comes to emulation and psp is not made for emulaton if you looking for good emulation console get gp2x f-200 i wouldn't bother with psp slim they are to big,horrible screen which looks blurrish to play and why did sony make 4.3 screen am sure we don't need a wide screen format for games that only suits movies which looks rectangle funny style for playing games,gp2x has better screen no blurish problems and is the right size to play games.

DaveC said:
TylerAW said:
It is not that easy. I wouldn't dump one for the other. They both have some plusses and minuses. I would get both or keep the PSP. PSX and GBA will never be as good on the GP2X as they are on PSP. Other emus are about the same on both. All emus on these systems have "problems" they are not perfect for either. It is just the nature of emulation on low powered devices like handhelds. MAME can be a bit better on the GP2X just because it is a better port. The GP2X is also nicer to play vertical games like Pac-Man etc because it works better rotated as the controls are then like an original Gameboy.

The main thing that can be a plus on the GP2X is the screen aspect and resolution match many emulators better so you don't have to use the scaling and filtering that you do on PSP which results in some loss of sharpness. If you don't mind that filtering on PSP then there is not much advantage.

Well I set my emulators to 4/3 or Zoom 4/3 there never is loss of quality except with the GB/GBC/GBA emulators.

sukhigp said:
The gp2x is better why it has a new d-pad and touch screen, The gp2x is made for emulation and they play far better than psp also gp2x has a cradle which you can connect hard drives and control pads psp can't do that, avi movies drag and drop no need to convert psp can't do that, here are differences in the emulators:

1)genesis emulator gp2x is perfect,psp horrible sound and slowdown in most games

Here are the few examples nothing on the psp plays perfect when it comes to emulation and psp is not made for emulaton if you looking for good emulation console get gp2x f-200 i wouldn't bother with psp slim they are to big,horrible screen which looks blurrish to play and why did sony make 4.3 screen am sure we don't need a wide screen format for games that only suits movies which looks rectangle funny style for playing games,gp2x has better screen no blurish problems and is the right size to play games.
Ok that is a tad harsh on the PSP its a good system, also we ported a Pictodrive to PSP a bit ago but I do agree that emulation has major problems with the PSP :( so after all these replies I still just don't know.

sukhigp said:
The gp2x is better why it has a new d-pad and touch screen, The gp2x is made for emulation
No it isn't. GPH thinks it's being used as a media player, as far as I know.

sukhigp said:
and they play far better than psp
Not really.

sukhigp said:
also gp2x has a cradle which you can connect hard drives and control pads psp can't do that
I don't get why people want to use external controllers with a handheld, seems incredibly defeating. Harddrives, who cares? Being plugged into the cradle takes away the portability, you'd be better off just plugging it into a desktop if you want that.

sukhigp said:
, avi movies drag and drop no need to convert psp can't do that
Unless all your movies are 320x240 then you're much better off reencoding for the platform in the first place, unless you want to waste both storage space and processing time.

sukhigp said:
, here are differences in the emulators:

You must have missed Notaz's release of picodrive for PSP, which, while not as optimized as the GP2X version, is reported as playing Genesis games very well (no horrible sound and slowdown at all)

sukhigp said:
The only PC-Engine emulator that people consider especially good for GP2X has locked frameskip and needs overclocking to play fullspeed (I intend to change this though)

sukhigp said:
You're so incredibly lazy. I'm sure the PSP one performs better.

sukhigp said:
Again you're wrong, see point 1.

sukhigp said:
I'd like to see how accurate this is for a) games that can be played using the hardware renderer only in SNES9x TYL and B) games that require all the effects SquidgeSNES has off by default, which would probably put the dual core optimized SNES9x TYL (running on faster hardware) ahead. I've only tested one game, which was pretty slow on SNES9x TYL (didn't test it on GP2X, was told it was much faster), but this could be pretty isolated. The game might have used per tile scroll mode which could throw off everything.

sukhigp said:
Here are the few examples nothing on the psp plays perfect when it comes to emulation
That's a bunch of garbage. Some things play better on GP2X, some things play better on PSP. Go test GBA and PS1 and get back to us.

sukhigp said:
and psp is not made for emulaton
PSP is made for games, probably more so than GP2X is (GP2X uses a media player SoC, PSP actually has video/audio acceleration...). And commercially developed emulators exist for it. What platform is "made for emulation" anyway, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you mean something like Transmeta Crusoe.

sukhigp said:
if you looking for good emulation console get gp2x f-200 i wouldn't bother with psp slim they are to big
No one actually objectively thinks a PSP Slim is too big.

sukhigp said:
,horrible screen which looks blurrish to play
Aside from refresh problems the screen is actually pretty good, the lighting and viewing angle are better than GP2X and it doesn't have the interlacing problems (that are, in fact, still noticeable on MK2, I don't know how bad it must have been on MK1 for people to claim they're gone)

sukhigp said:
and why did sony make 4.3 screen am sure we don't need a wide screen format for games that only suits movies which looks rectangle funny style for playing games
There's no reason 16:9 (NOT 4:3, that's what you're defending) must be inherently worse for games. Nintendo DS makes games work on two vertically oriented screens, that's totally different. I don't think wide screen is a big leap by comparison, and yes, it does favor movies as well.

sukhigp said:
,gp2x has better screen no blurish problems and is the right size to play games.
Correction, right size to play some consoles and other platforms. On the other hand, the aspect ratio on PSP better suits it for playing GBA and a lot of arcade platforms, and gives it the ability to play wider screens on some console games as well (PC-Engine can be up to 512 wide, SNES has a 512 wide mode) without losing detail (but not maintaining aspect ratio)

I see your posts on a lot of forums and you come off as a raving fanboy in all of them >_>

First of all sony releases sony psp which had no tv out then releases psp slim with tv out what other features did it have nothing at all i think it's point less buying a psp in the first place the tv out feature on psp slim has to be played holding the system in hand which is quite lame, the tv out feature using the gp2x cradle is much better, connect control pads to play games on tv which is good as home consoles psp can't do that in other words psp slim it's not good as gp2x because it doesn't have a good accessory like gp2x you can even play 2 player using gp2x cradle psp can't do that i would definetely consider a gp2x over psp slim here are some other facts gp2x better than psp slim:

1)gp2x can connect control pads, psp can't do that
2)gp2x can connect pc hard drives, psp can't do that
3)gp2x can connect keyboard,mouse, psp can't do that
4)gp2x can play multiplayer games on console or tv without buying another console, psp can't do that

The gp2x is an winner with the gp2x cradle which you can connect various accessories externally psp slim doesn't have a accessory like this which is psp slim is not good as gp2x looks like gph had more brains than sony and people call psp slim machine advanced it's just console in hand and nothing special about it gp2x is an cool console in home or outside if anyone is considering buying gp2x f-200 also buy gp2x cradle which expands the gp2x entertainment. I only bought gp2x because it had a cradle othwerwise i've would of kept my psp slim and ds lite.

TylerAW said:
DaveC said:
TylerAW said:

Well I set my emulators to 4/3 or Zoom 4/3 there never is loss of quality except with the GB/GBC/GBA emulators.

No, you are missing what I am saying. Yes you can "zoom" to 4:3 on the PSP but you are doing fractional scaling then applying a filter to get that "zoom". This creates some fuzziness of the image and a slight loss of contrast. For example native resolution of Genesis is 320 x 224. The PSP screen is 480 x 272. In order to get a 224 high screen to "zoom" to 272 high you have to *average some pixels* as 224 does not go into 272 evenly. On the GP2X which is 320 x 240 you can display this 320 x 224 Genesis image at 1:1 pixel mapping with *no averaging or zooming* you will end up with a very small 8 pixel bar at the top and bottom but a sharper image. You can also do this same thing on the PSP but the image is substantially smaller and the borders larger as there is a bigger difference between 224 and 272.

But by your post you obviously don't care or you would know all of this. So for you this GP2X "feature" doesn't matter.

DaveC said:
TylerAW said:
DaveC said:
TylerAW said:

No, you are missing what I am saying. Yes you can "zoom" to 4:3 on the PSP but you are doing fractional scaling then applying a filter to get that "zoom". This creates some fuzziness of the image and a slight loss of contrast. For example native resolution of Genesis is 320 x 224. The PSP screen is 480 x 272. In order to get a 224 high screen to "zoom" to 272 high you have to *average some pixels* as 224 does not go into 272 evenly. On the GP2X which is 320 x 240 you can display this 320 x 224 Genesis image at 1:1 pixel mapping with *no averaging or zooming* you will end up with a very small 8 pixel bar at the top and bottom but a sharper image. You can also do this same thing on the PSP but the image is substantially smaller and the borders larger as there is a bigger difference between 224 and 272.

But by your post you obviously don't care or you would know all of this. So for you this GP2X "feature" doesn't matter.

Yes I know there is fuzziness but for the most part I only notice it on the GBA emulators I mean its res is lower than genesis ( If that were possible :p)

sukhigp said:
First of all sony releases sony psp which had no tv out then releases psp slim with tv out what other features did it have nothing at all
One, it was slimmer, two it has double the RAM (which the firmware is capable of using as UMD cache). What features does GP2X F200 have over the original? A dpad that doesn't suck and a touch screen, doesn't sound that amazing either. Why does an update have to be so incredible?

sukhigp said:
i think it's point less buying a psp in the first place the tv out feature on psp slim has to be played holding the system in hand which is quite lame, the tv out feature using the gp2x cradle is much better, connect control pads to play games on tv which is good as home consoles psp can't do that in other words psp slim it's not good as gp2x because it doesn't have a good accessory like gp2x you can even play 2 player using gp2x cradle psp can't do that i would definetely consider a gp2x over psp slim here are some other facts gp2x better than psp slim:

1)gp2x can connect control pads, psp can't do that
2)gp2x can connect pc hard drives, psp can't do that
3)gp2x can connect keyboard,mouse, psp can't do that
4)gp2x can play multiplayer games on console or tv without buying another console, psp can't do that
This is insane. Almost none of these features are things people actually want in a handheld, since they all completely destroy portability. Plus you need a BoB for each of them. Saying it's pointless to buy a PSP because it can't do some specific things that should know most people don't want but you is incredibly myopic. You basically take the same crappy argument and repeat it and over and over again. Yes, if you want all those things PSP isn't for you. If the author does I'm sure he already realizes that, and isn't going to suddenly go "WHAT? You can't connect a KEYBOARD to it? Fuck that!"

sukhigp said:
The gp2x is an winner with the gp2x cradle which you can connect various accessories externally psp slim doesn't have a accessory like this which is psp slim is not good as gp2x
You are a broken record. Saying the same thing over and over again doesn't make it more convincing.

sukhigp said:
looks like gph had more brains than sony and people call psp slim machine
*snicker*

sukhigp said:
advanced it's just console in hand and nothing special about it gp2x is an cool console in home or outside if anyone is considering buying gp2x f-200 also buy gp2x cradle which expands the gp2x entertainment.
You're just giving completely subjective labels to it again...

sukhigp said:
I only bought gp2x because it had a cradle othwerwise i've would of kept my psp slim and ds lite.
Yes, you are in love with the BoB, and now you have admitted that it's the only actual reason GP2X is so incredibly great. Wait what?

If PSP sucks so much why do you even have one?

Back