Web Browser and TV

Cas

Hi

What is the best browser, I ask because I have been playing with Firefox and a website called

here in the UK called Catchup TV, Firefox and the Pandora just does not want to know.

Sometimes get sounds only then it all locks up, sometimes very very very laggy pictures

and sometimes sound.

Is this due to Firefox or the Pandors or both would you say ?

My broadbands OK I use this websiote to view TV on other machines here and it is all OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefox is currently the only browser that supports flash (which I'm assuming is what catch-up tv uses), but it's already fairly memory intensive so big sites tend to cause it to fall over. I would say that the best way is to watch stuff like this is to rip the flash from the site and watch it off-line

Apparently TI have a newer accelerated flash player which might go half way to making this experience better, but yes, rip them and watch them in mplayer would be the best solution right now.

Hi

What is the best browser, I ask because I have been playing with Firefox and a website called

here in the UK called Catchup TV, Firefox and the Pandora just does not want to know.

Sometimes get sounds only then it all locks up, sometimes very very very laggy pictures

and sometimes sound.

Is this due to Firefox or the Pandors or both would you say ?

My broadbands OK I use this websiote to view TV on other machines here and it is all OK.

I use Catchup TV pretty much 24/7 on various devices although it works well on the iphone, it's a bit awkward if you want to watch it whilst doing something else, to be able to use this on the Pandora would be incredible.

As freamon has said until we get a browser with flash support that's a bit less memory hungry (don't hold your breath) things like this are pretty much useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Can't speak about Catch-Up TV as I've never visited it. However since I got the WiFi sorted I've been able to watch iPlayer (rather than just radio on iPlayer) through Firefox v4b10 on the Pandora. The trick is to click the 'open in new window' button in the flash player, then close the original tab. It's a teeny bit clunky as it doesn't seem to support fullscreen, just going blank, and is a choppy sometimes, but zooming in and patience are our friends here. To be honest, I certainly didn't expect to be able to ever watch iPlayer programmes on the Pandora, so I'm impressed it works at all!

If you want to catch up with BBC Content have a look for Get_iplayer. Works on Windows and Linux.

I pretty much only watch BBC so I find it a great help. It means I'm not tethered to watching the programmes on line.

Both are command line but the Windows <spit> version does have a web page interface which allows you to use it as a PVR too. Programmes are downloaded in .mp4 format. Not tried playing them on the Pandora yet but there's no reason why they wouldn't work.

Hi

Many thanks for the replies, think I will wait for the flash player browser then :)

If you want to catch up with BBC Content have a look for Get_iplayer. Works on Windows and Linux.

<edit> Programmes are downloaded in .mp4 format. Not tried playing them on the Pandora yet but there's no reason why they wouldn't work.

If you get get_iplayer from the angstom repo then you need to downgrade libhtml-parser-perl to the lowest version available (the glibc one for arm v6) as the current version of the module was compiled with perl v5.10 and it doesn't like the perl v5.8 that presently on the pandora. I'm in the middle of making a pnd of it.

Unfortunately, bbc progs are encoded with x264, which don't play well on pandora (I've only tried them with mplayer though)

<edit> Programmes are downloaded in .mp4 format. Not tried playing them on the Pandora yet but there's no reason why they wouldn't work.

If you get get_iplayer from the angstom repo then you need to downgrade libhtml-parser-perl to the lowest version available (the glibc one for arm v6) as the current version of the module was compiled with perl v5.10 and it doesn't like the perl v5.8 that presently on the pandora. I'm in the middle of making a pnd of it.

Unfortunately, bbc progs are encoded with x264, which don't play well on pandora (I've only tried them with mplayer though)

Panplayer works quite well with a bit of overclocking.

I tend to download them and convert them using Handbrake.

Back