Web Browsing

There probably won't be any flash support for a little while, but probably support for the likes of youtube etc.

Kloplop321 said:
no linux port for ARM flash? :(
Someone might try to extract the flash player library from the N8** firmware, but it could be difficult and isn't guaranteed to work anyway. Adobe's going to be open sourcing the flash player soon (I think, I could be wrong though), so that would give us flash player at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there will be flash support but maybe not at first, we are not Nokia, give us some time to get this stuff done :)

Also note that Gnash (open-source Flash alternative) already supports YouTube/Lulu.tv/insert-random-FLV-site perfectly. For other Flash movies it's not so great - yet - but it should be functional enough to work for most purposes.

Gnash is probably the best bet at the moment. There are lots of licensing issues with flash and they won't open source it.
They did release the file format as open source a while ago, but it was nothing that the community hadn't figured out anyway.

For videos alone, I've had a much better experience with swfdec, although gnash is a bit more complete overall.

chris_r said:
Gnash is probably the best bet at the moment. There are lots of licensing issues with flash and they won't open source it.
They did release the file format as open source a while ago, but it was nothing that the community hadn't figured out anyway.
I didn't exactly mean open source it. I thought they were going to release the full documentation for the API or something like that - something that would allow the community to write its own flash player programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
About web browing, I want to make a suggestion, just for the record. I've already made that suggestion in the past, but I think it's better not to forget it.

As we are not going to have a flash player until a few months have passed (or someone has ported swfdec or gnash), I believe it would be interesting to have an Mozilla extension (something like a greasemonkey script) that detects flash players (like YouTube, Metacafe, podcasts and so on) and replaces the missing flash player with a direct URL to the file.

For example, replace the player with an URL like: video://youtube.com/get_video.php?videoparameters...

Then, the system is configured so the video:// and audio:// protocols are handled by the bundled or preferred media player.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, I think, and it would be very useful.

Back