Weird Linux Problem

Vlad

Still Fresh
Every time I mount my gp2x, it changes it's device location. First it was /dev/sda, then /dev/sdb, then /dev/sdc, and now /dev/sdd. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I just have it down as /dev/sd(whatever it is) in fstab, and I just type mount /mnt/gp2x, which connects it no problem. Any ideas/suggestions?

you're not unmounting it before you issue the next mount.

Vlad posted on Feb 7 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
Every time I mount my gp2x, it changes it's device location. First it was /dev/sda, then /dev/sdb, then /dev/sdc, and now /dev/sdd. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I just have it down as /dev/sd(whatever it is) in fstab, and I just type mount /mnt/gp2x, which connects it no problem. Any ideas/suggestions?

You're not doing anything wrong. It's the usb-storage module and the hotplug system that does that (quite irritating, aint it?), since it's not releasing the sda[bc] device before reassigning the other.

There used to be a workaround for this besides using udev, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. These days I just deal with it and if I can't remember what node I'm up to, the following command comes in wonderfully handy:

fdisk -l | grep sd

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, glad I'm not destroying anything major. I'm going to try unmounting as opposed to just letting it disconnect itself, but I don't know how well that will work. Either way, thanks for all of your help.

Back