Release Wesnoth 1.9.6

ivanovic

Wesnoth 1.9.6 is out now!

This is a development release, so it is likely to have some issues you would not expect in a stable series. Things are still in motion, many changes are happening and especially translations are incomplete since barely any translation team has started working on this new line. This is intentional since their work would be wasted otherwise if the stuff does still change further. So if you are using a translation of Wesnoth and see some English strings: this is no bug.

If you find any issues with this release, please report them at http://bugs.wesnoth.org.

Some things for you to keep in mind:

* 1.8.x saves are likely not to be compatible with 1.9.x games. This is no bug and you can install both, 1.8.x and 1.9.x in parallel to play them. Eg you will have by far more players on the multiplayer server for 1.8.x than you will find for 1.9.x. On the other hand 1.9.x does feature many great changes, especially seeing all the new terrain graphics in action is really lovely.

* The new download has more than 300MB.

In general Wesnoth is identical on your Pandora and on your normal desktop system. That means that you can of course move savegames between the two and stuff like this. The same applies for multiplayer games with Windows, OSX and Linux users. I hope that you will enjoy this new release.

Download Wesnoth 1.9.6-1 (310.1MB)

Wesnoth 1.9.x is also available via the OpenPandora Package Repository.

I stopped playing Wesnoth after getting my arse kicked. Deciding then to save it for the Pandora.

Hopefully that wait will soon be over and I can stop denying myself this gem.

I stopped playing Wesnoth after getting my arse kicked. Deciding then to save it for the Pandora.

Hopefully that wait will soon be over and I can stop denying myself this gem.

Was your arse kicked by the random number generator in charge of hitting/not hitting as well? :p

Battle isle.

Maybe strategic RPG? But it does not have the RPG features of fire emblem for example.

what kinda game, genre, do you call this game?
Turn based strategy game with role playing game elements.
Ok, I ask cause I see everyone had been talking about it and how good it is. I was trying it last night. It looks very nice. I failed miserable on the novice level though. I'm more of a third person action genre.

Ok, I ask cause I see everyone had been talking about it and how good it is. I was trying it last night. It looks very nice. I failed miserable on the novice level though. I'm more of a third person action genre.
Yes, this happens. Wesnoth is very challenging and you should start with the tutorial. The game is, differing from many modern days games, more based on defence than offence. Just rushing your enemy will likely give you a bloody nose where careful advances are more likely to be successful. And yes, our difficulty levels are, uhm, "retro". Meaning even in novice difficulty level it won't be a piece of cake but at least a slight challenge.

Back