Release What about NDS emulation? Do you think it is possible?

Rivroner

What about NDS emulation? Do you think it is possible?

I am not very interested but i think a lot of people are :D

Its feasible once people get to know the system hardware, and besides, its not very practical, seeing how the resolution on the DS would only fit side by side unless you tilted the machine, which would then suck, but even so, it just wouldn't be practical. Gamestop now sells DS Lites for like $90, so just pick up one of those if you really wanted to play a DS game. I don't really know about GAME or other European retailers, if they had the price drop as well.

I think Exophase said he would consider adding DS emulation to his emulator gpsp. Some of their hardware is similar so it would be better to start with a GBA emu base. That said it is certainly not a trivial task. Especially since, The best NDS emulator at the moment NO$GBA is closed source.

Its feasible once people get to know the system hardware, and besides, its not very practical, seeing how the resolution on the DS would only fit side by side unless you tilted the machine, which would then suck, but even so, it just wouldn't be practical.
Side by Side isn't that bad, Many games only display minimap info, etc on the 2nd screen. You can get a 1:1 and a 2:2 scaled screen side by side with the Pandora orientated normally. The 2:2 screen would be almost exactly the same size as a real DS screen (the difference in screen size is ~0.05 inch). If you don't mind filtering you can obviously do better.

psymastr said:
Its feasible once people get to know the system hardware, and besides, its not very practical, seeing how the resolution on the DS would only fit side by side unless you tilted the machine, which would then suck, but even so, it just wouldn't be practical. Gamestop now sells DS Lites for like $90, so just pick up one of those if you really wanted to play a DS game. I don't really know about GAME or other European retailers, if they had the price drop as well.

17d542.jpg

Add a 96 pixel virtual gap and you have 1:1

Yes, I understand that, but the pixel density would make them out to be like a gameboy micro. Now, I don't know about you, but have you ever seen a GBM's screen? Its tiny!

Why would it be impractical? One less device to have to carry around.

And on the subject of pixel size, a lot of games don't even need the bottom (or top, depending on the game) screen very often, or really at all. Examples: Megaman ZX, Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS... To me, quickly switching between the two screens would be fine.

A Beaver said:

And on the subject of pixel size, a lot of games don't even need the bottom (or top, depending on the game) screen very often, or really at all. Examples: Megaman ZX, Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS... To me, quickly switching between the two screens would be fine.
EBA and Ouendan DO need the top screen if you care at all about story ;)

Meh, I dunno, whatever even if there is a NDS emulator, I've already got my DS + R4, so Im all set :D

Gamestop still sells DS lites for $129.99... I know this, cause I just sold one to a customer right before we closed... I think they're still 109.99 used, that could have gone down though. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new DSi is going to be. Although, that's partially because I have co-workers planning on getting it, and I can't wait to whip out my pandora and trounce it.

Well, some say it's possible, others disagree...

We will have to wait, and let time tell. One thing I know is that it's not coming anytime soon, so don't get rid of your DS yet :D

fischju said:
17d542.jpg

Add a 96 pixel virtual gap and you have 1:1

How about this then?

Image.jpg

This wouldn't work for games like Arkanoid (in which case your design would be better) but for games that seldom use the second screen, you could use the above instead. Add a button for switching between the two, and you're set...

D.

This idea was mentioned in GP32X, so I thought I'd throw it into the pot:

You could tilt the Pandora on its side. Controls would be an issue though - you'd get an awful cramp if you played like that too long. ;)

But on the other hand you could play Brain Age this way without having to rotate the handheld :D

i think screens would fit if it was like you would just have to turn the pandora like heres a rough scetch kinda:

p&|a then put this on the screen [][] it would be smaller but still

I think a smooth interface would be possible just through some creative coding. If You are playing a game like Metroid, Why not set one joystick to provide touchscreen input? It would be difficult, but well worth it.
Another thought, on-the-fly screen rotations. hit a key and when we had this = = we now have this = ||. I hope that came out as coherent.

A Beaver said:

Or you could also have the botom screen right or left of the top screen. Wich is even better at the games like MMZX , EBA , NSMB and MKDS

Back