What Are The Conditions For A Successor Development?

Vitel

Website
vminko.org
I understand that we need a new ARM CPU, etc etc. But how many Pandoras have to be sold to make you devs develop a new version?

Vitel said:
I understand that we need a new ARM CPU, etc etc. But how many Pandoras have to be sold to make you devs develop a new version?

3 Million

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate,
They have not even (properly) finished the original!

Dude! If they did start trying to release a new/updated model, imagine the uproar!
If you want more power and expandability, buy an eeepc. They're pretty cool. I have one "somewhere".. (I don't know where it is)

Vitel said:

Where have you heard that "we need" a new ARM CPU?

The question per se is ok, but there is no answer, because time will tell. No trolling. Just a premature question imo.

Pretty funny how Pandora's not even in our hands yet and there's so much emphasis on "Pandora 2." Might sound bad to some, but in a way, I think it's good... means Pandora's got at least that much interest that people are looking forward to a possible 2nd revision.

:D

I will buy two of them as well. They have a lifetime user from me since they have done everything with the user in mind even if P1 has shortcomings (which I doubt it will) OP started and was created by users for users. Did (insert any company here) ever join a forum and ask users what they wanted?

From an R&D cost standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense to start figuring out the workings of a second Pandora until you've thoroughly milked the first one. I would be like, "Ice cream cone dropped" if this happened in shorter than 6 years.

Chip said:
Nobody is even thinking about a new version until this one is out the door.
I am.

Do you mean none of the OP team?

But honestly, the Pandora will last me what I hope to be years and years.

Personally I'm hoping for side projects like an ARM tablet for example. I don't think about a Pandora 2. There has to be the process of building up a good infrastructure first. Software will be the main challenge(distribution, attracting devs, etc.). When there is a mature infrastructure, Pandora2 will be an option, I suppose. Pandora One might offer enough resources of horse power and optimization potential to last pretty long till a successor is needed, I think.

does any modern company ever stop to consider what users wanted. period. ?

from Henry Fords "any colour as long as it's black" to Sony's total disregard for what customers wanted and their use of rootkits for their own benefit, companies have only one interest, bottom line, you make what's most profitable and then tell people they want it with slick advertising and viral campaigns, by the time most people walk in the store 9 out of 10 times they are just there to hand over the money, the decision was already made for them when the advertising agency started the campaign, there are exceptions, but they are far and few between (Wii was the last one, that was partially advertising, but it's popularity obviously caught Nintendo on the hop, nobody could have expected such an old tech machine to do so well)

MS took the same attitude with Vista, but it was such a turkey for such a vast majority of users that it failed to fly, Gamepark had the same attitude, here's what we want to make, now just give us the cash, car manufacturers are busy making cars nobody wants (but the advertising and social pressure convince people they want em long enough to sign the HP documents), people are building cramped and cheap "starter" homes, not what people want, but all they can afford in an artificially inflated market.

even bankers, ISP's, politicians, lawyers, not what you want, but they sure as chips know how to charge you for the privilege of being ripped off and abused, it's a global mindset, a result of the decay of decency and honour, it's more "expedient" and "profitable" to rip off people for all you can get, but the reason the honour code was so rigid was that it helped to underpin the whole of society, with trust comes stability, with a lack of it, hostile anarchy, it's a case of "as you sow so shall you reap".

hobbyman II said:
does any modern company ever stop to consider what users wanted. period. ?
Um... this one? The whole project has been one long string of user feedback.

Chip said:
Nobody is even thinking about a new version until this one is out the door.

Except all the people making Pandora 2 threads :(

Honestly with the current hardware specs I don't know what else you would want. Just the nature of the Pandora insures it will last a few years. Plus, Craig will have an app store so the OP team doesn't need to rush new hardware they can make some money on that.

Chip means first things first, that's all. His post is so short, I can't see a possibility of a hidden meaning. I find some resposes kind of irritating.

Back