What Are Your Favourite "gimmicks"

devlkore

^_^
Website
www.sparktasty.net
Heyo,

This isn't directly related to GP32, but I'm gonna make a shooting game and I was looking for some ideas. I've already got quite a few, but you can never have too many :D

Anyway, in the genre of scrolling shooter (eg, DoDonPachi, Gigawing, noiz2sa, Mercs, etc) what are your favourite gimmicky features? That's not to say that these features are bolted on and crappy, but it's the laser in (Do)DonPachi, the reflect barrier in Gigawing, the powerup/bomb system in Metal Black and the black/white switch in Ikaruga that makes each game different from each other.

LA!

Just post some of your favourite shooting games and the features you like from them. Don't worry about complexity, that's for me to worry about if I like the idea.

BYEEEEE!!

PS (To the mods): I didn't know where to post this, move as necessary (although I wanted non-devvers to see this too).

i think here will be ok, it is gp32 releated :) most games have a couple but,

what i like to see is lots of different power'ups stupid amounts of different guns etc etc etc.

I need to know what it is you like about the games, if you've got anything you love about Metal Slug/Contra/etc, feel free.

sensible GP32, do you prefer being able to choose different guns or do you like switching between them when you pick them up?

I don't mind if anyone rants on for ages about any games they like, the more info I have, the better chance I have of making a good game. I already know why I love the shooting games I do, but that doesn't help me make a game that anyone else will play.

BYEEEEE!!

umm everything about metal slug is good i think because:

sence of fealing good killing the other people :D
good controls,
nice pick ups,
good paste,
kool anime,
good graphics,
sence of acheivement after every level

even though i luv this game its king of short, the only down sider for me.

What I like about good action games:

Lots of weapons, and having them all at once, so you can switch freely between them.
Lots of nice pixel explosion effects (I`m currently working on doing something like that in Fenix)
Good soundtrack, one that rocks the house
I don`t like to high difficulty levels! :D

What I like about charge_man:

Cool, I've got some ideas for explosions using faux tube like graphics, but I've yet to test my ideas out.

The shooting game I want to make will hopefully not be short, I'm planning on having the levels generate themselves, and hopefully, the bosses too. I don't know what music I'm gonna use, but I do want music, no point in killing things if you can't raise the roof while showing off :D

The biggest thing for me to decide is what kind of weapon system and power up system to use (hence this thread).

LA!

Keep 'em coming.

BYEEEEE!!

Quiest posted on Mar 6 2005 at 01:59 AM said:

Lots of weapons, and having them all at once, so you can switch freely between them.
Lots of nice pixel explosion effects (I`m currently working on doing something like that in Fenix)

hahahaha fealing hurt.... <_<

anyway when u put on a song can u make it so its a on going nice rythem and a song that gets you in the zone...

also i could make a song on fruity loops :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have any examples from any commercial games of this.. but A HUGE explosive powerup would be sweet. (A rare powerup that could only be used once...)
Like a huge projectile that pretty much cleans the entire screen of enemies...

Some sort of a heat seeking missle powerup... (Temporary)
It worked pretty well in a game that me and some friend made in a game programming class... :) (Plus my bro got an xbox because our game was the best....)

It would be interesting to have a power up that if you pick it up it powers up the enemies.... That would be an unexpected surprise.... :huh:

Why don't you search for original ideas instead of merging old concepts? Do you want to create a good clone of other games or a revolutionary shoot'emup?

You could create a good plot, so the player wouldn't have the feeling of destroying suicide enemies.

Oh! And intelligent enemies: that would be a very original idea for a space shooter!

In the Thunderforce series on the megadrive, When you changed or picked up a weapon this muffled female voice would tell you what weapon it was. Such as bwade (blade), wazer (lazer) etc.

Have you choosen the style of shoot-em-up yet ? Horizontal, Vertical, Space, 3D, Top down ?

Trooper

sensible GP32 posted on Mar 6 2005 at 01:25 AM said:
i like having a couple in stock, but its the moment of picking a new 1 up and not knowing what the hell it does that i love

Not a war shooter - but ive always liked the Rtype pwer ups - that kinda add to each other - just an idea!!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Have you choosen the style of shoot-em-up yet ? Horizontal, Vertical, Space, 3D, Top down ?

If anyone could make a star fox (snes) like game for the GP32 I'd marry them...well, maybe not but anyway...

In my shooters, I like the really fast paced ones where you can hold down the button to shoot.. Also I like having like a few basic groups of power-ups and then being able to upgrade them seperatly.. such as lasers, missiles, shields, etc. (or is it ect.?)

Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga had really cool and (at the time) innovative gimmicks. Silvergun started you out with all your weapons... you didn't ever pick up weapons in the game, and never picked up powerups either, instead you leveled up like in an RPG... each weapon had it's own experience, the more you used a given weapon, the more powerful it became.

In contrast, Ikaruga had only one main gun in the game, which never powered up either. Instead, you had two different colors of the same weapon, light and dark, light was strong against dark enemies and vice versa.

Both games also used the play mechanic of absorbing your enemies shots to power up your 'super bomb' attack, which always put you right in the line of enemy fire... you wanted to absorb those bullets, but you had to be quick or of course you would die.

Great shooters the both of them.

GiG posted on Mar 6 2005 at 01:21 AM said:
Why don't you search for original ideas instead of merging old concepts? Do you want to create a good clone of other games or a revolutionary shoot'emup?

You could create a good plot, so the player wouldn't have the feeling of destroying suicide enemies.

Oh! And intelligent enemies: that would be a very original idea for a space shooter!

I didn't want to get ideas from old games and just mash them into one game, I wanted to hear what people liked and why. Most of the ideas I have already aren't in any/many games that I've played, but I was inspired by the things that already exist.

LA!

I don't know about having a plot, that's a lot to ask for my first game, isn't endless killing enough?
There will probably be a engrish intro with or without a plot.

BYEEEEE!!

nothing TOO hard. Cumulative pick-ups are a good idea, it might be one of the incentives to play; seeing what the next pick-up would do.

nice big bosses would be nice. Uh, can't think of owt else atm.

engrish is a quality idea, incorporate it and make it as bad as possible! :D

Quiest posted on Mar 6 2005 at 12:59 AM said:

Yeah lacuna had the best soundtrac ever, something like that

In my current idea, you'll all be glad to know that the difficulty will kind of be up to the player on the fly. I don't mean cheaply setting it in a pause menu, I mean it will (hopefully) be dynamic so you can make it as easy or hard as you want while playing.

Of course, there will be insane points and maybe secrets for those willing to push their limit.

Keep spewing up the ideas. I didn't even know about Radiant Silver Gun's systems until it was posted here, as I have yet to play it.

Nova posted on Mar 6 2005 at 11:29 AM said:
Quiest posted on Mar 6 2005 at 12:59 AM said:

Yeah lacuna had the best soundtrac ever, something like that
It sure did!

Back