What can each of us do to help the Pyra ?

Kev2442

Still French
Hi all,
I just had this random thought : I've got a Colormunki Display, so once I get my Pyra, I can calibrate it and post the color profile. As the screen is pretty much the same across batches, it could be included in future Pyra OS versions.
So now, what can you guys do, especially things that requires hardware and benefits most of us ?

Let's put "made by users for users" to the test ;)

Sounds cool, isn't it supposed to generate different profiles for different lighting conditions? I can't do anything aside from testing :).

No, because all screens apart from eink are light generators, so can be considered to have an absolute tint to them. Your eyes will adapt though, so if you're in indoor lighting (the most tinted common environment) and you look at a calibrated display it'll look a little too blue momentarily, but then your eyes will adjust. Calibrating a screen is more about ensuring there's the most difference between different colours, so you can identify them more easily in theory at least. For general users I've never felt the need, but then I don't print much stuff. It really comes into its own when printing, because if you know exactly what colour your producing on screen, and you know how the printer responds, you can preview how things will look when printed accurately.

There is no need to stick to the device itself for giving an help, guides on the forum are always appreciated too, and also translations or optimized configurations for existing software (I remember for example the one for Handbrake to convert videos with the right size for the Pandora)

(One thing that I always found missing on the Pandora was a "suite" to manage ROMS... something that can convert archives/scan ROMS/manage lists for different emulators all in one... I have something somehow working with mc as interface with custom menus, with commands to use easily 7z and Advscan, but I suppose that with the Pyra more routes could be opened in that way)

Well, it's more about getting the most out of the screen, out of the box. As a portable device, it's indeed more about getting mostly correct contrast and colors under most use cases than precisely fine-tuning for work conditions.

I was thinking of D65 white point (6500K - natural sun light on a clear sky day) with average brightness : enough for outside viewing but not too much for low light either.

I don't think of any OS being tailored to a device to the point of including a color profile for its screen. That's too bad as many ads for TVs put emphasis on color and contrast.
The software correction is like the Pyra hardware : we make it as good as we can with what we have. Like CPU optimization, but for the rest.
If we intend it to be a multimedia powerhouse (like a modern portable Amiga ?), we might as well perfect its natural qualities.

I can think of a few more things not exactly software-related, like tailoring the dead zones on the nubs, tinkering with the touchscreen, and so on.
By the way, does anyone happen to own a measurement microphone and is willing to do a true neutral equalization for the speakers ? If no one is already on it, I might get one for myself and share the results then :p

There is no need to stick to the device itself for giving an help, guides on the forum are always appreciated too, and also translations or optimized configurations for existing software (I remember for example the one for Handbrake to convert videos with the right size for the Pandora)

(One thing that I always found missing on the Pandora was a "suite" to manage ROMS... something that can convert archives/scan ROMS/manage lists for different emulators all in one... I have something somehow working with mc as interface with custom menus, with commands to use easily 7z and Advscan, but I suppose that with the Pyra more routes could be opened in that way)
I made Templates for Pocketdivxencoder and called it the "Pandora and Gamegadget Video Encoder"
https://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16618&p=198490&hilit=pandora+video+konverter#p198461

Maybe i can add Pyra Templates too :)

Aaand i have Access to the Sourcecode from the Developer of this Pocketdivxencoder.
Anyone Interrested to get it run on the Pandora too? :)

@ptitSeb sayed to me i must use Lazarus for this Sourcecode and i have to adapt some Commands.
But i never got it run with my Noob Knowledge :(

And i want my Youtube Account too for make many Videos with the Pyra too...
...(i think i have to buy a HDMI Video Grabber very soon) :)

Back