What format = highest compatability PS1 games

andyhamer

I have ripped/converted all my PS1 games to .img in preparation, but have been reading a few posts recently that seem to suggest that bin/cue is the optimal format for compatibility, or at the very least certain games that have problems as iso,img etc (with sound & various other issues) don't seem to suffer the same fate in the bin/cue format.

Is this generally the case, should i convert (again) to bin/cue? to increase compatibility (a lot of my games are NTSC-J does this matter?) i would also be grateful if someone could suggest a Windows method (pref free) to convert to bin/cue (from .img) i have tried converting various games using both Magic Iso & Imgburn and tried the resulting bin/cue's in Epsxe (which supports bin/cue loading) to test, none of the ones i have converted has worked so far.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right that notaz has mainly designed it for bin/cue and this will have the better results. I've plenty that work fine in .img/mdf/iso format though, so when you get the Pandora you may wish to find out first and just convert those that have issues. Not sure on conversion programs but your probably better off re-ripping direct to bin/cue rather than conversion between various. Hope you get your unit soon :)

Your right that notaz has mainly designed it for bin/cue and this will have the better results. I've plenty that work fine in .img/mdf/iso format though, so when you get the Pandora you may wish to find out first and just convert those that have issues. Not sure on conversion programs but your probably better off re-ripping direct to bin/cue rather than conversion between various. Hope you get your unit soon :)

Thanks for the advice, you're probably right it's better to see what has issues first and then re-rip if necessary.. not quite sure why but i am feeling uncharacteristically optimistic lately and thusly "convinced" that i will be receiving my unit (1200-1300 Craig's queue) imminently!

so when you get the Pandora you may wish to find out first and just convert those that have issues.
I'd like to second this recommendation.

I originally ripped all of mine as the slightly more obscure bin/toc, and whilst these work with PCSX ReARMed I was noticing that a couple of games - specifically, those with redbook audio - were having their tracks cut off a bit at the beginning, which is probably due to the less detailed info contained in a toc file as compared to cue. All of the rips worked fine, though, so ultimately I only re-ripped four games (Rockman 8 - Metal Heroes, Mega Man 8, Lomax, and Rayman), those being the only ones in my collection that use redbook audio (in the case of the near-identical Rockman 8 and Mega Man, they only have one or two tracks of it, during the ending, but I re-ripped them nonetheless).

I've got several games in eboot format that work just fine, as well as a couple that don't.

To name a few that do run, Grandia Disc 1, Megaman 8/X4/Legends, and Policenauts Disc 1. I imagine it all has to do with how you rip the image and not the resulting format per se.

*edit- Clarified the games that do run.

Bin cue has always been best ps1 format .However different img files should not make much of a difference i find alcohol and imgburn to be the best for ripping ps1 games nero can be a bit of a pain cdrwin is outdated now. ;)

Back