What have you bought recently?

Pen holder arrived with ten more nibs. That gives me a total of a least twenty I can sporadically lose!
IMG_1048.JPG

I read that without looking at the picture and had a bunch of questions regarding suggestions for my use. Now I think you might not be able to help with my questions...

- RFID blocking credit card holder for those stupid PayPass cards. There seems to be no way to disable touch-to-pay functionality or at least to lower the no-password limit to zero. I've tested this with multiple POS terminals, works flawlessly [evil laugh]. Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? :D
View attachment 30837
See, my bank hands its clients free card holders (branded with the bank's name of course). You know, those little flip-open plasticky two-cards holders, kinda like this one but a little classier :
Plastic-Credit-Card-Holder.jpg
It has a small pouch in it, like what a wallet has for bills and receipts. I filled it with a layer of aluminium foil, so it's wrapped around my card when it's closed, and it works like a charm while staying hidden. Plus it doesn't cost a nickel.
As for the tinfoil hat, there is a risk indeed. But still much less than getting your smartphone robbed...

Last edited:
Yes, I first of all made a little pouch by wrapping aluminium foil around my card, then taping up free edges, and putting tape over the folds and across the top edges - and then I cut a little bit out of it so I could remove the card. That christmas I got some manufactured cardboard ones, but those open at the side so I still use my old tinfoil cover for my main cashcard.

Oh laaaawdy I'm insane.
wacom studio pro 13 512gb
wacom%20mobile%20stuido%2013%20gallery%20g2.jpg

12 month financing..
giphy.gif

but I got the four year freaking warranty.
giphy.gif

Since I did my research here. Buying from wacom directly was cheaper but theres many issues.. They will only issue returns if the damn thing is unopened and there is a 10% restocking fee! So screw that I'm taking my money and lobbing it at amazon. I read the terms of the warranty and it even has a lemon law in it. For four years. FOUR YEARS!
giphy.gif

Also because at this point I can be declared mentality incompetent and unable to make rational, logical, or normal decisions.. I jumped the gun
And since I two of the... one three two.. FIVE Yes five books on the page I bought the other six... three. Three.
http://www.davidrevoy.com/article195/article-books-i-recommend-for-learning-to-draw-and-paint (Also this guy.... I really like him..)
giphy.gif

So yes.... I feel I have gone a bit.. a teeny--weeny--bit over the deep end. And I didn't even stop at the line. Nope I ran up a tree spun on a branch, did a triple back flip and landed across the line scoring 9 from the russian judges.
tumblr_mbddzaPjSV1rpduwho1_500.gif

May the all the gods have mercy on all my souls. I think I lost it, if i ever had it in the first place!

Last edited:
That costs a certain price. If you create some art on it, I hope you'll share a bit here.

Yes, I first of all made a little pouch by wrapping aluminium foil around my card, then taping up free edges, and putting tape over the folds and across the top edges - and then I cut a little bit out of it so I could remove the card. That christmas I got some manufactured cardboard ones, but those open at the side so I still use my old tinfoil cover for my main cashcard.
I made some for all of the card slots in my wallet in the same way, many years ago. They have been living in there ever since.

That costs a certain price. If you create some art on it, I hope you'll share a bit here.
I already have been, but then the first cintiq crapped out. I was mulling over the price of fixing it vs risk and reward.. The chances of failure and even the fact the thing may crap out anyways. However with that being said I got the parts to fix the first cintiq as well as this guy. I am viewing this as a bite the bullet and wrap myself around the tools.

I have a thread in the off topic discussion is a mini blog of my artwork and what I am doing to experiment and grow. My findings and things. I'll take any feed back as well or if anybody has any suggestions of where I should look. I just discovered David Revoy's work. He is the creator of the Pepper and Carrot comics, while his style a bit typical, what makes him magical is the fact everything is open source. So he releases the Krita files, his brushes he made, and etc to the public. He does tutorials and even shows how he makes each comic.

This is massive because now I can see what people do instead of just scratching my head. I view this as an investment in my future, and the 4 year warranty wasn't even a consideration of NOT to get it. Wacom makes great products, but their customer support team are the most infamous for being the worst out there. At least now I have a safety net if I get a lemon, or a dud, and four years is a long time. IF it craps out in two years I'm still okay and set. If craps out three times they'll get me a new one an and apology letter.

the extra 99 dollars was worth it.
The specs of the top of the line model are i7 processor 16gb of ram! A 512gb ssd. Windows 10 pro (Might try a dual boot with linux mint as Krita supports this model) This is the most expensive thing I have ever bought, but this is a tool. This isn't a toy...

wanted to buy a new cake pan, a cookbook, some shoes, and a new jacket because during semester breaks i get to work more and have some extra money.
then i realized i only need a new pair of summer pants and maybe a new game (oceanhorn) so i bought that instead. might still get the cake pan though because i'm sure my old one will rip apart the new york cheesecake i'm planning :|

@jeeks: can't you throughly clean a pan where you cook meat, and use that? (and find a lid that somewhat fits?)

See, my bank hands its clients free card holders (branded with the bank's name of course). You know, those little flip-open plasticky two-cards holders, kinda like this one but a little classier :
Plastic-Credit-Card-Holder.jpg
It has a small pouch in it, like what a wallet has for bills and receipts. I filled it with a layer of aluminium foil, so it's wrapped around my card when it's closed, and it works like a charm while staying hidden. Plus it doesn't cost a nickel.
As for the tinfoil hat, there is a risk indeed. But still much less than getting your smartphone robbed...

Nice hack with the alu foil.
What makes you think that I have a smartphone? :) Joke aside, I do own one, but it's just a clapped out nokia nseries waiting for retirement. The robber would break out in tears :)

@jeeks: can't you throughly clean a pan where you cook meat, and use that? (and find a lid that somewhat fits?)
I'm not sure if when jeeks refers to a cake pan, he means what I would call a cake tin - that is a metal open container in the shape of a cake (such as round with straight sides). I roast my meat in a casserole dish, or a larger ceramic dish, because the oils might leak from the corners of a metal case (cake mix is more viscous and thick than oil). They both have rounded corners, which would make a funny looking cake. On the hob, where I have what I would call pans, I've never knowingly eaten any type of cake that could be cooked with one of those, and I only have two which can also be used in the oven (because they have metal handles), but those have rivets holding the handle to the pan, which would be caught in the shape of the cake if the mix filled it that high, and might interfere with the removal of the cake after cooking. Some cake tins even have clamping sides that can be released to make cakes that can't sensibly be inverted to knock out.

@FBnil whoops, wrong word, @levi is correct, i meant a cake tin XD apparently "cake pan" isn't really that common except when you use it in combination with "bundt" or "springform" ._.' i'm hanging around in american baking forums too often...
the thing i want looks something like this :3 my current one is a springform type which needs a good amount of force to get open which is no good for fragile cakes :/ the fluffy/airy ones like to drop when disturbed and dry out if left too long in a hot tin (tbh cakes are a pain in the ass to handle, but they taste sooo good).

@jeeks

Have you checked a thrift store? The ones here have a crazy amount of pots and pans usually for cheap. They'll be used but many of these older pans are higher quality than the crap being dragged in from China.

@levi, cast iron pans can be used in the oven, and don't have rivets or screws that will mess up the cake. Additionally, some are deep and shaped more like a cake pan/tin(?), so those might work. I wouldn't advise it though, especially since a decent cake pan can be had fairly cheap. Brownie pans, on the other hand, can be difficult to find. They are rectangular and kinda resemble some others except that they aren't square. I didn't believe that was what they were really called until I saw one in a store with the label.

When I think of a tin I think of a container, sometimes they contain cookies or mints, and in the past they were used for many things that are now sold in blister packs or other plastic containers. The only other I know of as tin is actual tin (which is where the things I call tins got their name, even though they are/were other metals, and were sometimes just coated with tin. I guess the things I call tins would more properly be called cans, although when I think of a can it is much deeper than a tin, and usually cylindrical, with ammo cans being a notable exception I have used for lots of stuff since childhood. Oh, I guess cans are a bit thicker and tougher than tins, although not usually as thick as ammo cans. Tea tins are deeper than most tins.

I love containers and bags. I haven't purchased any recently (so I am still off-topic). I will sometimes buy things just to make use of their container.

@jeeks, those are some fancy looking pans. Looks like it would make things much easier, but I am not the one that bakes things like cake. We have single piece ones.

Have you tried using a baker's spray with the pan(s) you have? It is kinda like the typical oil sprays, but with flour in it. I like the texture itgives things. It may not be for everyone since it does add the flour taste to the cooked item, and it probably contains chemicals some may wish to avoid.

BTW, the American way is the right way. :p
[doublepost=1502122022,1502121750][/doublepost]Oh, and most cheesecakes over here are made in pie crusts/pans. We usually buy a disposable pan with Graham cracker crust for cheesecake. I don't know if the NY variety are those ones that don't have a crust around the edges or whatever.

@DrHAX sadly, there are no thrift stores in my town D: there'll be a fleamarket on sunday though; maybe i'll check that out :) but it seems like people around here use their cake tins until they fall apart since i haven't seen any nice used ones yet o_O

@rygD my bakeware somehow gets fancier every year :| my cakes too... if it gets colder around here, i'll try to make some buttercream roses (that shit falls apart so fast when it's hot) :D
haven't baked anything in a cast iron pan yet, the main reason is me not owning one (arrrgh i want one so badly!). some bread recipes i have say to bake the bread in a cast iron pan to get a really good crust, so once i have one, i have to look into that. regarding oil spray, i've recently spotted some, but didn't buy it (i don't have issues oiling pans/pots/tins by hand). i usually use parchment paper to prevent sticking, and sometimes aluminum foil. the texture you get with an oiled pan works for some cakes but doesn't work for others (japanese shortcake is horrible with a "crust", whereas baked cheesecake isn't really good without one).
new york style cheesecake is steamed; usually in an oven, but i'll be using this recipe :D i'm curious if it'll work out okay, but that woman knows what she's doing, so if i pay attention to the text, i'm sure i'll get something yummy out of it :> i've never made a dessert in a pressure cooker, and i feel like i have to make one just to prove a point XD

I love cheesecake too much, so I am glad I suck at making it (otherwise I would make it all the time and would eventually not be able to fit into the kitchen to make it).

@jeeks, I don't know why I decided to get a couple cast iron pans. I think it had something to do with me not wanting to ruin the other pans, or because I used a metal spork (my primary eating implement) to grab something out of a pan and was scolded and told I would scratch the pan coating. I use them for almost everything. I got the second one, which is a bit thinner and lighter, because the angle between the side and the bottom of the first made it difficult for me to make omelets. That same angle may be ideal for some baked dishes (I think some people use cast iron pans to make their cornbread).

Now I need to go cook. :-|| Stupid thread making me hungry

@rygD i have the opposite problem: i can cook and bake a variety of different stuff (including all my favorites) and all comes out pretty well, but i don't make them because, well, i could make any of them pretty much all of the time, so i wait until i really, really want something (which rarely happens). so i just cook random new things and sometimes get obsessed with them because i suck at the first try (first macarons were little meringue poops, ugh).
although one time i craved a silly kiddie birthday cake (complete with chocolate coating and gummy bears on top) so i just made one. no special occasion whatsoever. it was a weird day, but the cake was really good :D

where did you get those pans by the way, and who made them? i've seen some mixed reviews for some stuff i saw online, and i'm not sure if they're user error related, or if the manufacturer is just kind of shitty :/

Back