What Hw-mods Are You Fantasising About?

nim

Still Fresh
Orbital Frame Anchorage City of Linköping, Sweden
Website
www.myspace.com
ok, not enough daydreamy talk about the pandora going on to ease my impatient excitement :-||

so how are people planning to void their warranty when they finally get their unit?
..and such.

any cool ideas?

on the gp2x the usb port mod was so obvious but I guess I'll have to think up some other simple and fun first mod for my pandora :/

I have a little usb gps receiver which would probably fit in there... maybe the guy who did the mentioned gp2x mod who also did a gps mod will try it on the pandora if he buys one :V7

I'm guessing I'll want to put in line in and line out audio ports on the side or back...

another cool thing would be to put in the spindle-house of a retractable mini-B usb cable inside the case so you can pull out a male plug cord for external storage stuff, cell phones, port-modded gamepads (I was so solder-fun bored that I put my psx-to-usb adapter and put it where the smaller rumble motor was in my dual shock only to realise I should have put in a B type female as I have no A male to A male cables... :/) etc.. apart from making your use easier, it would be so cool to walk up to someone and pull out a usb cord for them from somewhere inside your pocket x¨D ...and... use it for... something...

another far fetched fantasy: putting in some fm soundchip(s) like opl3 or opm :3. there is currently a hw project to make a (midibox-like) usb-connectable device with several such fm chips, ... which perhaps I could scavenge upon to do such a pandora mod once they've finished it :)
ym2151.png

12000mAH_Emergency_Charger_5_In_1_Battery.summ.jpg
...then I have one of these 12000mAh external (psp etc) batteries
which I'm gonna repackage in some firm cloth tube so that it's a long semi-flexible cylinder instead, so it'll more easilly lie tucked along the bottom of a large jacket pocket or bag without obstructing anything else put in there, like the pandora :) so I hope the pandora will take 5V DC. (EDIT: mistaken. it has 2 flat batteries.. not 4 cylindrical :(()
lolbattery.jpg

then there's always painting it :/ fusion spray paint? is it worth it? and on black plastic? does it give a matt surface more like the plastic or glossy like regular paint?
415NDV4DMKL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

I want mine in medium gray... but if I'd paint it I'd probably go nuts :p

EDIT: oh yeah.. the most important mod and probably the most difficult I want to do is making the screen rotatable..
anyone looked up some of these patent infested swivel hinges that might work?
another way may be to install a pivot/bearing/hub behind the lcd that lets it pop out of the bezeled casing and rotate 90 degrees...
or just cut the whole casing upp above the hinges to let you strap it back on rotated, connecting via some connector and something strapping it firmly in place :/
any better ideas on how to do it?
and I guess making this possible with that ribbon cable won't be easier than the mechanical challange :/
esprade_c.png

sorry for the useless topic.. it's for therapeutic perpouses..

EDIT: another idea: heatsink. nice idea :) would be cool to mold your own heatsink.. and it'd look pretty with surfacing heat sink points on the bottom for contact with dock/cradle :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I thought about looking inside to see if there was any room for one of those tiny vibrating motors like the ones in cell phones, and possibly use that as rumble. I'd never have the balls to do that though, and even if I did, I'd have no idea how to get it working.
Also, I thought about making a USB thing the length of the Pandora with the USB in the middle and a button on each end, using that as extra shoulder buttons for PSX emulation. Again, even if I did make this, I'd have no idea how to get it to work.
I then thought of a custom harddrive enclosure that slips onto the bottom of the Pandora, that would be cool.
I know a guy that can do some pretty crazy airbrush shit, maybe I'll ask him to do something on the case.

PlopperZ said:
Last night I thought about looking inside to see if there was any room for one of those tiny vibrating motors like the ones in cell phones, and possibly use that as rumble. I'd never have the balls to do that though, and even if I did, I'd have no idea how to get it working.
Not sure how far it got, but there was a psp mod/concept which made small vibraters go when the speakers reached above a certain decebel reading.... this meant it didn't need to be coded into the games to switch on the vibrators.

cherrycyanide said:
Someone had the idea of putting an external screen for music listening. I would like to see that. Pandora DS...

How do you listen to music through an external screen? ;)

TaG said:
cherrycyanide said:
Someone had the idea of putting an external screen for music listening. I would like to see that. Pandora DS...

I think he means one so that you can have a display on the outside of the system for when it's folded for information on what you're listening to.

quadomatic said:
TaG said:
cherrycyanide said:

How do you listen to music through an external screen? ;)I think he means one so that you can have a display on the outside of the system for when it's folded for information on what you're listening to.

I assumed something like that (although it looked amusing at first read), are we talking about headphone listening, as the speakers would be under the closed lid. I know Craig has said there is very little room but if it is just to display track details, or possibly a reminder from a calendar/todo list, it might be pssible to take a small screen from an old mp3 player. Could be interesting.

pandora said:
PlopperZ said:
Not sure how far it got, but there was a psp mod/concept which made small vibraters go when the speakers reached above a certain decebel reading.... this meant it didn't need to be coded into the games to switch on the vibrators.

Portable flesh-lite?
Video Demo (now that Youtube has changed their adult policy).

quadomatic said:
TaG said:
cherrycyanide said:

I think he means one so that you can have a display on the outside of the system for when it's folded for information on what you're listening to.

no he meant you take lsd so you can listen to the picture.. sheesh.. read between the lines.. made me spell it all out x¨/

quadomatic said:
TaG said:
cherrycyanide said:

Yes thats what I meant to say. Ill be more careful with my wording in the future. I didn't think I would be taken literally. :)

one minor problem, the headphone jack is on the side.
i would rather have a top headphone mod than a screen, personally.

waffles said:
one minor problem, the headphone jack is on the side.
i would rather have a top headphone mod than a screen, personally.
You don't need a screen? :huh:

i would rather be able to get audio from it using my horribly long connection headphones without having it poke me.
dont get me wrong, a screen would be awesome, but i personally would rather have a extra headphone jack (also useful for multiplayer)

waffles said:
i would rather be able to get audio from it using my horribly long connection headphones without having it poke me.
dont get me wrong, a screen would be awesome, but i personally would rather have a extra headphone jack (also useful for multiplayer)
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you here.
You're saying that you'd prefer to have an extra headphone jack... then a screen.
:blink:
EDIT: and how would you play multiplayer games with no screen?

I'm pretty sure what he meant was that he'd rather have an extra headphone jack than an extra screen.

BigTruck said:
I'm pretty sure what he meant was that he'd rather have an extra headphone jack than an extra screen.
Oh Duh!
Please excuse my stupidity
EDIT: I spelled 'stupidity' wrong :p

Perhaps he means that the screen wouldn't stop at 180 degrees, but instead keep going backwards, thus making a tablet(but the buttons would be exposed on the bottom).

Back