What Is New?

mahavailo7

Still Fresh
hey ya'll, I bricked my gp2x maybe a year or so ago, and never got around to buying a new one. But I was looking at the corpse the other day, and was thought to check back in on the forums. Ya know, see if it's worth upwards of a hundred dollars to get a new one. I ran through the topics quick and noticed there is another new handheld out? What the deal with that guy? How's the psx4gp2x prject been? any emulators shoot up in speed or quality lately? Tell me all the neat stuff that's been going on

thanks guys

mahavailo said:
hey ya'll, I bricked my gp2x maybe a year or so ago, and never got around to buying a new one. But I was looking at the corpse the other day, and was thought to check back in on the forums. Ya know, see if it's worth upwards of a hundred dollars to get a new one. I ran through the topics quick and noticed there is another new handheld out? What the deal with that guy? How's the psx4gp2x prject been? any emulators shoot up in speed or quality lately? Tell me all the neat stuff that's been going on

thanks guys
Welcome back,

Yeah, the new console is just pretty much the same thing, but with a white finish, a touchscreen, and an 8-way dpad. There are some programs that don't run correctly on it, but it is mainly due to the firmware it has.

The psx emulator can run Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee near fullspeed. There are speed improvements in other games as well. I can't comment on that, since I don't have a gp2x. ;) PocketSNES has fullspeed super nintendo with sound and transparencies at a small overclock for almost every game that doesn't use a chip (Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc). Genesis always was and still is fullspeed. But there is now support for the sega CD. There is a new emulator, that seems to be better than DrMD. It's "PicoDrive". I believe that MAME is now fullspeed with sound at around 220Mhz, if I am correct. It also has increased compatibility.

That is only a quick wrap up of what has happened. I'm sure that people can elaborate on what I have said, and maybe even correct me on an area where I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
mahavailo said:

thanks guys
U sure you can't unbrick the GP2X you already have?

Just wondering

I wouldn't know how to do it, and I know that a lot of people get kinda TOed at people who go on about fixing or sending in their bricked systems

say, I don't mean to sound completely noobish, but what's the deal with mame? I always hear people getting all excited over it, and even thought to download an emu once, but I'd have no clue what to download to play on it. It's like arcade stuff, right? Raiden and metal slug sort of deal?

edit: also, has there been any talk of n64 emulation going on with the gamepark hardware? I downgraded my bro's psp a while back, and the daedelus n64 emu was very impressive, running mario kart at near full speed. With that in mind, I had gotten the crazy idea that one of the brilliant minds in the gp2x community had maybe started a project of some sort, or are there too many hardware limits? chips that can't be emulated efficiently?

Last I checked MAME only supported older (1980s and back) games since MAME's pretty inefficient to begin with, though a lot of optimizations have been made to speed it up .. gngeo2x is more refined overall but only runs Neo Geo games. There's another emulator for CPS2 but I forgot its name and I don't recall how it runs.. last I saw pretty slow with sound, pretty fast without.

N64 is impossible at playable speed on the GP2X due to the lack of a 3D accelerator. There's just too much to do in software; the PSP is much more powerful..... the new handheld in the works should be more than up to the task though.

I haven't tried MAME, but CPSemu (the CPS2 emulator you were referring to) runs great. Fullspeed with sound and all. GnGeo2x works well to, from what I was able to test anyways since I can't figure out the romrc.d files.

alright, sweet! Thanks Gp2x community!

yeah, that's what I figured; think I remember hearing about that before, just wanted to make sure, right?

there's a new system? What's the story on that?

fullspeed snes? Does chrono trigger use a special chip? cause I could never get that to run fullspeed at all.

kingbuzzo said:
fullspeed snes? Does chrono trigger use a special chip? cause I could never get that to run fullspeed at all.
no, but it use transparency that is heavy demanding on emulation.

mahavailo said:
alright, sweet! Thanks Gp2x community!

yeah, that's what I figured; think I remember hearing about that before, just wanted to make sure, right?

there's a new system? What's the story on that?
Here's a pretty informative link for you:

LINK

It sums up the new console well. And here is the huge thread where people talk about it:

LINK

Back