What Is The Name Of The Company That Makes Pandora?

gsx82

Still Fresh
Hello Pandora Community,

I sold my GP2X about 8 months ago and have missed it from time to time. I decided to check the GP2X forums for the hell of it and stumbled upon the Pandora. From looking at the specs and potential , I am blown away that this device was designed and developed by from what I can tell 7 people, or am I wrong is there more? I must say I am very excited about the pandora, its like everything I ever wanted my GP2X to have has been put in the Pandora. I know that the specs are on the wiki but I would like to mention the specs I am most excited about:

The raw CPU power is sweet, 600mhz Cortex A8 vs 200 MHz ARM920T. I would assume that the Cortex A8 would be faster clock for clock compared to the Arm920T. It looks like the Arm920T can do 1.11 MIPS per 1 MHZ and the Cortex A8 can do 2 MIPS per 1 MHz. So even if the Cortex was down clocked to 200Mhz it would still be faster. I think the GP2X had 16K/16K of L1/L2 cache, I wonder what the Pandora CPU will have? Probably 32k L1 / 32k L2 ???

The PowerVR GPU is also an awesome advantage, the fact that we can finally have hardware accelerated hand held games in an open source system takes the cake for me. I watched a video of Quake 2 running on the Pandora dev board and I assume it is running in software mode because I don't think there is an opengl driver for the GPU yet. Anyway , the speed of Quake 2 was amazing, if anyone tried playing qauke 2 on the GP2X it was a slide show, like 4 FPS. It must have been running like 100FPS on the pandora, I can't wait to see it with the opengl renderer.

128 MB of RAM is good but not as exciting as the CPU and GPU. The keyboard is the other huge deal for me, trying to run a shell on the GP2X with the onscreen keyboard had great wow factor but it was to slow for me to really do anything useful. The Wifi and bluetooth are great aswell. Anyway, I guess I'm just blabbing about what everyone else has been talking about for some time now. I'm just anxious to get a Pandora in my hands.

Oh yea, my question was "What is the name of the company that is developing the Pandora"???? Is the company name OpenPandora or what?

Thanks

AireTamStorm said:
Read the FAQ.

To be fair, the Faq only mentions the companies that are NOT making the Pandora, and it looks like the original poster read at least some of the FAQ already.
Do we know whether any sort of formal Company or Limited Liabilty Partnership was created for this endeavor (AKA, who do we sue when the battery overheats and burns my double-wide down)?

I don't care really, but its not something that to my knowledge has been mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
ingrin said:
To be fair, the Faq only mentions the companies that are NOT making the Pandora, and it looks like the original poster read at least some of the FAQ already.
No company is listed. Therefore, there is no company.

Although we are guessing, there is a company called OpenPandora Ltd been set up not too far from the lead developers other business premises.

When asked about who the pre-order emails came from Craig said probably Open Pandora.

Seems like a fair bet to me. Besides, you will know who the company is before you can part with any cash.

As to suing someone, why does a limited company or limited partnership help? If there is a limited anything it means their liability is limited to their investment, which could be £1. That's why companies (hopefully) get insurance.

TaG said:
Although we are guessing, there is a company called OpenPandora Ltd been set up not too far from the lead developers other business premises.

When asked about who the pre-order emails came from Craig said probably Open Pandora.

Seems like a fair bet to me. Besides, you will know who the company is before you can part with any cash.

As to suing someone, why does a limited company or limited partnership help? If there is a limited anything it means their liability is limited to their investment, which could be £1. That's why companies (hopefully) get insurance.
The sueing thing was a joke (I guess I should confess and say I don't live in a double-wide trailer either).
I imagine an LLC would make the most sense given the small size of the group and the general flexibility they allow.

Maybe they should use Craig's last name for the company name. He's got a classy last name, like it should be on fancy gold watches or really expensive department stores.

Ravnos said:
Maybe they should use Craig's last name for the company name. He's got a classy last name, like it should be on fancy gold watches or really expensive department stores.
hahahahahah... didn't expect that comment.
:lol:

gsx82 said:
I think the GP2X had 16K/16K of L1/L2 cache, I wonder what the Pandora CPU will have? Probably 32k L1 / 32k L2 ???
GP2X has 16KB L1 instruction cache, 16KB L1 data cache, and 0KB L2 cache. The Cortex-A8 in the Pandora will have the same amounts of L1 cache but 256KB of L2 cache.

Officially, it's a startup that's still in stealth mode.

My theory is that the Pandoras are self-aware, building more of each other, and selling themselves to people to spread their power and gain funds for world domination.

CraigIX, ED, MWeston, and the others are a carefully put together scheme to make it seem like it's people who are selling the Pandora.

Exophase said:
gsx82 said:
I think the GP2X had 16K/16K of L1/L2 cache, I wonder what the Pandora CPU will have? Probably 32k L1 / 32k L2 ???
GP2X has 16KB L1 instruction cache, 16KB L1 data cache, and 0KB L2 cache. The Cortex-A8 in the Pandora will have the same amounts of L1 cache but 256KB of L2 cache.

So the GP2X CPU had no Level 2 cache and the Pandora CPU has 256KB of Level 2 cache, got it... thanks for the info Exophase.

atomicthumbs said:
Officially, it's a startup that's still in stealth mode.
Which doesn't make a bit of sense. What possible purpose does it serve to hide the name? They have a website, actually several websites, made by the members of this company explaining what they are making. What are they afraid of? The system (is *SUPPOSED* to) come out next month, and we still don't have a name for the company. They are (again *SUPPOSED* to) start taking pre-orders this month - and we still don't have a name for the company.

And before someone jumps in with "It's OpenPandora LTD, idiot! Read the thread!" No official confirmation of that has been given - which is why people keep asking. Especially if that *is* the name, why not just pop in for 5 seconds and say "Yup - that's it!" and put the annoying question to bed? It's not annoying that people keep asking - it's damned annoying that no one official ever answers.

And there's no reason for them not to.

Perhaps since they are are pitching this as a rebel open device, for now it is more prudent to make it seem like a collective of talented people frustrated with the status quo rather than a corporation?

Just a theory.

A company would separate the device from the community. I'd say it is more appropriate to call the driving force a for-profit organization rather than company, if that makes any sense.

Ravnos said:

Yes! :lol:

I'd buy a Rothwell Pandora.

Back