What Is Your Definition Of Hardcore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

codeninja

Nintendog has been one of the biggest success stories of this holiday season's games; well over a million in US alone and over 4 millions in the world. Along with Animal Crossing, way more females purchased the games, who usually don't buy games. On the otherhand, many hardcore gamers were not impressed with the game at all, and some called it gimmicky. The game doesn't enjoy strong typical hardcore gamer following like Ico, which failed at the market place.

Street Fighter, Megaman and Castlevania series have their strong followings. None of them will make it to top 10 sale list, but small and very vocal "hardcore" followers will buy every version of the games as long as they make them.

GTA is a mixture of both groups. IMO hardcore audience alone is not big enough to push a game above 500k mark. GTA game itself is not a casual game, but it's got enough to appeal to casual gamers, although many of casual gamers probably stop playing the game shortly after killing some prostitutes and run over a few pedestrians.

I think, there are ways to succeed with or without the support of hardcore crowd. However, casual gamers, if we call them gamers, holds the real key to the financial success.

not to sound "uncivil" but how many different hardcore threads are actually needed? Everybody's definition of hard core is different. Look at the GP32 scene. To most the GP32 and now GP2x scene is hardcore because only hardcore gamers and collectors are going to buy an unknown system. Jo shmo off the street isn't going to even know what it is let alone buy one.

From a gaming standpoint, again, everyone's definition of hardcore is different. Nintendogs is not hardcore. The Suffering or GTA is hardcore. You have your cult following games that could be considered hardcore. But thats me. From a sales standpoint, yes a 1 million seller game is going to be perceived as a hardcore seller compared to something that sold 10,000 copies despite what type of game it is.

So lets argue again in a third thread since the meaning of "hardcore" in gaming all means something different to everybody.

not to sound "uncivil" but how many different hardcore threads are actually needed? Everybody's definition of hard core is different. Look at the GP32 scene. To most the GP32 and now GP2x scene is hardcore because only hardcore gamers and collectors are going to buy an unknown system. Jo shmo off the street isn't going to even know what it is let alone buy one.

From a gaming standpoint, again, everyone's definition of hardcore is different. Nintendogs is not hardcore. The Suffering or GTA is hardcore. You have your cult following games that could be considered hardcore. But thats me. From a sales standpoint, yes a 1 million seller game is going to be perceived as a hardcore seller compared to something that sold 10,000 copies despite what type of game it is.

So lets argue again in a third thread since the meaning of "hardcore" in gaming all means something different to everybody.

If you don't like this kind of thread, please do me a favor not to reply. Yes, the meaning of "hardcore" in gaming all means something different to everybody, I'd like to discuss about it. What's wrong with that idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back