What Manufacturers make Snapdragon SOCs?

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Someone recently told me that Qualcomm don't make Snapdragon SOCs, but rather license the design like ARM.  

If that's the case?,  who does manufacture Snapdragon SOCs, Samsung and who else?

Someone recently told me that Qualcomm don't make Snapdragon SOCs, but rather license the design like ARM.  

If that's the case?,  who does manufacture Snapdragon SOCs, Samsung and who else?

I think there's a misunderstanding here. Qualcomm does all the CPU, GPU, baseband etc design in-house. The part they don't make is the physical manufacturing of the chips themselves, something they contract to pure-play semi-conductor foundry named TSMC. This practice is the same for every other mobile SoC vendor in the industry except for Intel and Samsung, both of whom own and develop their own

fabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ sorry , the way I wrote that came across a bit ambiguous. Yes , from what I have been told, Qualcomm do all the designs , but others actually manufacture the SOCs. Seems that's true from what you said - thanks for confirming.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ sorry , the way I wrote that came across a bit ambiguous. Yes , from what I have been told, Qualcomm do all the designs , but others actually manufacture the SOCs. Seems that's true from what you said - thanks for confirming.
If I understand Exophase correctly, there's still a big difference compared to ARM: ARM design their stuff, then license the blueprints to whoever wants to manufacture them. Qualcomm design their stuff, hire an external company to manufacture it, then sell the actual chippage.

Back