What NeoGeo Roms to Use?

manic23

Still Fresh
Can someone please point me in the direction as to what ROMs to use for the NeoGeo Emulator gngeo?

I am not asking for the location of the ROMs, as I know that is against the rules here, I am simply asking what set to use and if there is a DAT for the ROMs anywhere. NeoGeo ROMs have always confused me, there were NeoGeo arcade machines and also a home console, what one does gngeo emulate?

There is no documentation supplied with gngeo, im guessing you are expected to magically know how to use it and what ROMs to use via some kind of witchcraft or black magic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Use the latest set. also, be sure to have the neogeo.zip file in your roms folder or it won't work.

You can always use clrmamepro to update your roms to the latest if you need to...you just have to find the right dat file to feed your clrmamepro.

Hope this helps. I personally am using 0.146 roms.

By the way, this probably should have been posted in the Support section.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest set of what? MAME Roms? is there a dat just to extract the NeoGeo files from a full MAME set then? if so what about the home console neogeo, does gngeo support that?

ROMS?! We don't pirate roms here sir.. Good day sir.. I SAID GOOD DAY

edit: Look for something called a goodset. It's considered to be "correct".

ROMS?! We don't pirate roms here sir.. Good day sir.. I SAID GOOD DAY

I know we don't which is why I clearly stated in my first post that I was not asking for the location of ROMs just what ones to use.

Mame roms should work.

I think there's also neogeo-only rompacks with all the versions, encrypted, non-encrypted etc..

I use FBA for neogeo games and works great, is gngeo better ?

GnGeo has weird audio issues for me. The timing seems to do strange things. Last Resort shows it particularly strongly, the first stage music sounds like it has a swing beat (it shouldn't, of course).

The latest set of what? MAME Roms? is there a dat just to extract the NeoGeo files from a full MAME set then? if so what about the home console neogeo, does gngeo support that?

Yes. MAME Roms. The ones that are Neo-Geo will then work with GnGeo...assuming you have also placed the neogeo.zip file in your roms folder.

The ones that are NOT Neo-Geo games...presumably do not show up in the menu...I personally have not tried this.

Info: neogeo.zip is the bios file.

I heard there's a free neogeo bios around, which enables region free, and maybe other stuff.

Info: neogeo.zip is the bios file.

I heard there's a free neogeo bios around, which enables region free, and maybe other stuff.

Oh, yes, there is one out there. Otherwise, the entire emulator would be pointless and work for nobody.

I leave it at that.

But, as to which ROMs to use...which was the original question...I can say I am using MAME 0.146 just fine with GnGeo.

I can't seem to run Samurai showdown 5, metal slug 5 and snk vs capcom chaos to name a few. I either get a black screen with a "Z80 error" message or something like my romset is too old. Just wanted to know if the problem is with my romset or with the emulator.By the way this emulator is great. It suits better for me than Fba for neo-geo games. Why FBA doesn't have graphic effects options such as scanlines, scale 2x, etc?

I use FBA for neogeo games and works great, is gngeo better ?

Tried GnGeo, and it's indeed better !! It's Faster !! And I didn't hear anymore those (very) little scratches in sound. (I used the SAME roms I use for FBA)

I can't seem to run Samurai showdown 5, metal slug 5 and snk vs capcom chaos to name a few. I either get a black screen with a "Z80 error" message or something like my romset is too old. Just wanted to know if the problem is with my romset or with the emulator.By the way this emulator is great. It suits better for me than Fba for neo-geo games. Why FBA doesn't have graphic effects options such as scanlines, scale 2x, etc?

metal slug 5 and snk vs capcom works well for me both in gngeo and fba

Can someone please point me in the direction as to what ROMs to use for the NeoGeo Emulator gngeo?

I am not asking for the location of the ROMs, as I know that is against the rules here, I am simply asking what set to use and if there is a DAT for the ROMs anywhere. NeoGeo ROMs have always confused me, there were NeoGeo arcade machines and also a home console, what one does gngeo emulate?

There is no documentation supplied with gngeo, im guessing you are expected to magically know how to use it and what ROMs to use via some kind of witchcraft or black magic?

Any help would be appreciated.

I created a DAT file from my GnGeo directory, see here...

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2936-gngeo-083/page__st__40#entry178826

Here's the FBA DAT file...

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6543-final-burn-alpha-ported-to-pandora-faq-in-first-post/page__st__540#entry136477

And here the quick steps to generate a new ROM set using clrmamepro...

Is someone still playing Neo Geo? I play neo geo when I was young and now I start to play Neo Geo Games again. Are there some new game for Neo Geo just to try them.

Back