What program to create a CD-IMAGE from MP3 on Windows ??? (SOLVED)

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
For a lot of time I used CDemu to create a virtual AUDIO-CD just feeding directly to it MP3 files... it was a must, but at the time I was on Debian, and now that I'm stuck on Windows I just can't find an alternative...

I'm searching for something FREE and not too invasive to temporarily mount a bunch of MP3 as an Audio-CD...

either something that can create directly a file with a CD-IMAGE (.cue/.bin or something like that), or a virtual drive that just create instantly an audio cd from those MP3s...

I need something simple because is something I do a lot of time with games that need audio tracks...

For now I tried without success:
  • ImgBurn + WinCDemu: the first can create a .CUE from a list of MP3, but the second can't load that .CUE (maybe it just want a proper full image...)
  • cdrtfe: can create an audio cd from MP3s, but can't write it to a file...
  • InfraRecorder: can create an audio cd from MP3s, but can't write it to a file...
  • Windows Media Player: can create an audio cd from MP3s, but can't write it to a file...
  • CDBurnerXP: can create an audio cd from MP3s, but can't write it to a file...
  • Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE: can create an image from a list of MP3, but it must be registered
  • TotalMounter: can create a writable virtual cd-rom, but crashed my PC and I had to remove it...
  • PowerISO: can create an image from a list of MP3 and the unregistered version doesn't limit what I need to do !! :D (just uncheck crapware during installation... and I'm confidend It could become portable after some fiddling)
  • Alcohol portable: it just mount/dismount easily bin/cue images and doesn't need to be installed

So, my BEST combination of softwares to do what I want is this: PowerISO + Alcohol portable !!

I'm pretty happy with those :D

Last edited:
I'll admit I haven't used windows much in a long while, but didn't Windows Media player have a burn to CD option that worked on any file that media player could decode, including MP3s?

I'll admit I haven't used windows much in a long while, but didn't Windows Media player have a burn to CD option that worked on any file that media player could decode, including MP3s?

It can burn an audio cd, but not to a file

CDburneXP ?
It can create Audio CD and ISO image of MP3.

Same issue as the others, it can create an audio cd from MP3s but it just burns it to a physical support :(

All those programs are able to create an image from a CD and write an image to a CD, but no one is able to actually create an image from an audio cd "project"

EDIT:

Oh, and by the way, I'm not an expert but as as far as I know, ISO files can contain only one track, so them are not right for an audio cd, like instead other formats as .bin/cue or .nrg or .ccd, etc...

Last edited:
From here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...age-file-from-the-windows-command-line#223335
Creating a simple CD ISO
I've found a significantly easier approach, and it doesn't require Cygwin: CDBurnerXP

It's not really advertised on the site, but it includes a command-line edition, as cdbxpcmd.exe. There is also some documentation about the command-line options.

Of particular interest are the -iso and -format options; used something like:

Code:
cdbxpcmd --burn-data -folder:input -iso:output.iso -format:iso -changefiledates

to generate an ISO called output.iso from the files in the input folder

I just spent 45 minutes researching your problem, hope this helps.
Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE edition does that. You have to register with your e-mail for a free license key, so expect spam.
It creates a bin/cue image from MP3 files. I mounted it using Daemon tools lite. VLC refused to play those. Windows Media Player did though.

I just spent 45 minutes researching your problem, hope this helps.
Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE edition does that. You have to register with your e-mail for a free license key, so expect spam.
It creates a bin/cue image from MP3 files. I mounted it using Daemon tools lite. VLC refused to play those. Windows Media Player did though.

Thanks, I'll try it

First of all Ashampoo BS indeed worked in a simple way, just put the MP3s in the list and write the image (cue/bin)...

the strange thing is that the generated image results "locked" if I try to open it with WinCDEmu... but it's not locked at all... so I'll have to do some trials with other Virtual Drives programs to see if the issue is in the file or the driver.

Anyway, I didn't like very much the "nature" of ABS, so instead of installing it, I extracted the program files with innoextract, so to have some kind of "portable" program, and it worked, but some functionalities are missing this way... and one of them is the possibility to register it... so I don't know what's happening after 10 days of use.

I'll keep searching for something better, then if really I can't find more at least now I know there is something I can use.

Nope :( Something is wrong in the images created by Ashampoo, I was able to mount one of them with OSFMount, and VLC sees on it just the first track but anyway it isn't able to play it... the other Virtual Drive programs I tried weren't able to mount it at all :(

Damn :(
[doublepost=1476999116,1476995546][/doublepost]WARNING !!! I just lived my first Blue Screen of Death in Win 8.1 after more then a year of use !!!

I tried this "TotalMounter" program that can create WRITABLE virtual cd roms !! The first strange thing is that the image was only ISO... but I tried anyway to burn an audio cd on it... the first minute was ok, but then BSOD ... even after restarting for three times... I wasn't even sure if Win8.1 had some kind of safe-mode, but the old good F8 key opened a "restore previous working configuration" screen that made the job, and the pc finally started without TotalMounter

Older versions of Nero Burning Rom... but not sure if they have malware/companion software.
Also: install virtualbox, run a linux distribution, and give the VM access to your CD... should work.

Older versions of Nero Burning Rom... but not sure if they have malware/companion software.
Also: install virtualbox, run a linux distribution, and give the VM access to your CD... should work.

The VM thing is a little overkill... I'm starting to have a look at commercial softwares now, seems like I have really limited choices with free things
[doublepost=1477002969,1477002794][/doublepost]
According to this Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_image_software
WinCDEmu should do it all alone (create a BIN/CUE image and mount it)

o_O if it's true I just can't see that option, maybe from command lines ?!

EDIT: oh, well, it is able to create ISO images from a real CD... the same thing of all the others

Nope :( Something is wrong in the images created by Ashampoo, I was able to mount one of them with OSFMount, and VLC sees on it just the first track but anyway it isn't able to play it... the other Virtual Drive programs I tried weren't able to mount it at all :(
Have you tried the Daemon tools lite & Windows Media Player combo?
Is the latter not an option for you?

Have you tried the Daemon tools lite & Windows Media Player combo?
Is the latter not an option for you?

I still didn't tried Daemon tools because it was my preferred software until years ago it was filled with crapware, so I uninstalled it and never came back, but how are you suggesting to use them ?
Maybe Daemon tools lite is able to manage a writable virtual cd rom ?

The last time I searched I found only this
Daemon Tools will NEVER EVER
-----------------------------------------------
(1) support Floppy Disk Drive emulation.
(2) support CD-Burner-Emulation
-----------------------------------------------
We don't implement it so please don't ask for FDD-support or CD-Burner-Emulation anymore
Thank you

but seems like the "Ultra" version has this functionality now

I just can't find out if the "lite" version can do this too.

Because, if I'll have to pay for a software, I'm more prone to go with "PowerISO", that is able to create a bin/cue directly from a list of audio files (plus many other images conversion things that could be very useful)
[doublepost=1477072856,1477070831][/doublepost]OH YEAH !!! I just found a pretty little working combo !!!

PowerISO + Alcohol portable !!

The first one is the unregistered version, and it has no limits of time, and seems not even limited while writing CD images (I filled an audio CD) !! (Just be sure to uncheck every crapware during installation)
The second one is free for not commercial purposes and it is able to mount cue/bin without issues !!

(Maybe just PowerISO alone could have done everything, but his virtual drives require a reboot everytime I want to disable/enable them, while Alcohol can install/uninstall them instantly)

Last edited:
Back