What Programming Language Is This?

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
The copy and paste didnt come out too well but i think its intact enough to answer my question. Can someone please tell me what programming language this is? Anyone know of a good website to get help with this sort of stuff?

void main()
{
signed int8 out_data[3];

set_tris_a(0x01); // PortA outputs except for NES_DATA (RA0)
setup_timer_1(T1_INTERNAL); // Scan the NES controller
usb_init(); // Initialize USB subsystem
setup_wdt(WDT_ON);

Edit: Took out a bunch of the code so this is easier to read.

how much of a difference is there between c and c+ and c++?

Edit : is there such a thing as C++?

There is. It's C+ that doesn't exist. C++ is called C++ because in C, "++" increments a variable.

The main differences between C and C++ are classes and how variables are managed. C++ also introduces the "bool" type, but this can be mimicked in C.

Depends which you prefer. Most modern GUI programming is done in C++, as it has more features and is object-oriented(ish).

Are they similar enough that if you know one you pretty much know the other? Sort of like Portuguese and Spanish?

Certainly anything you program in C will compile as C++. C++ tends to be more forgiving, however, and even if you stick to C features you can't guarantee C++ code will compile as C. They are basically the same language, but C++ has many useful features. It can be said that C is easier to use, however, being a simpler language. I use C because I feel comfortable with it. Plus, it stops all the sloppy coding :)

Seeing as how you know C do you know of any books or websites for the beginner? If i was still in school id probably just make it an elective class but im not in school. And its just a hobby so signing up (and paying for) a class seems a bit extreme.

Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 05:49 PM said:
Seeing as how you know C do you know of any books or websites for the beginner? If i was still in school id probably just make it an elective class but im not in school. And its just a hobby so signing up (and paying for) a class seems a bit extreme.
"The C Programming Language" by Kernigan and Ritchie. They created C, so they're book is pretty good :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I am messing around with BASIC. Its very easy. I have a decent grasp on what is going on with the stuff i have tried however simple it is. Is it any use to learn more basic or should i just scrap that and begin with C?

Edit: I guess i should have mentioned that i am mostly interested in learning C for the purpose of programming PICs

If you want to program PICs, then BASIC is fairly useless apart from the "thinking" part. (Ie. find out what code to write to solve a problem).

Didn't really read any books, just looked at peoples code and played with the compiler until something worked :D and I understood what it was doing :) Best way to learn most things IMO.

You may find this website useful: http://cprogramming.com/ not only do they have lots of articles and tutorials, but they also have a forum to ask questions in.

Squidge posted on Feb 1 2007 at 12:16 PM said:
You may find this website useful: http://cprogramming.com/ not only do they have lots of articles and tutorials, but they also have a forum to ask questions in.

Awesome, thank you. So in my reading i have come across alot of assembly language stuff. What is that? Is it just another language and how concerned with it should i be?

Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:21 PM said:
Awesome, thank you. So in my reading i have come across alot of assembly language stuff. What is that? Is it just another language and how concerned with it should i be?

Come on, man. If you want to become a programmer, you're going to have to start looking up some things for yourself. ;)

saehn posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:24 PM said:

Come on, man. If you want to become a programmer, you're going to have to start looking up some things for yourself. ;)

shut up.

Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 03:09 PM said:
saehn posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:24 PM said:

shut up.

Wow, lazy and rude. :D

Fyvve posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:21 PM said:
Squidge posted on Feb 1 2007 at 12:16 PM said:

well, you can ignore and see how far you go, or learn it. you decide. A lot of people get away without learning any of it.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it for now.

Squidge posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:16 PM said:
If you want to program PICs, then BASIC is fairly useless apart from the "thinking" part. (Ie. find out what code to write to solve a problem).

Didn't really read any books, just looked at peoples code and played with the compiler until something worked :D and I understood what it was doing :) Best way to learn most things IMO.

Actually, there are quite a few PIC programming tools which use BASIC.

Back