What`s The Point ??

Deserthamster

Still Fresh
Why did the BLU GP32 creators add the option to enable/disable the backlight,by holding the Select button down ? I have found at least 2 problems with this.

1) Playing the GP32 with the Backlight off is pointless because the amount of tint on the screen.

2) The Select button is commonly used by games/emulators, which can prove awkward when playing and all of a sudden the Backlight switches off, due to holding it down too long.

Deserthamster posted on Mar 23 2005 at 12:35 PM said:
Why did the BLU GP32 creators add the option to enable/disable the backlight,by holding the Select button down ? I have found at least 2 problems with this.

1) Playing the GP32 with the Backlight off is pointless because the amount of tint on the screen.

2) The Select button is commonly used by games/emulators, which can prove awkward when playing and all of a sudden the Backlight switches off, due to holding it down too long.

Well I can think of a good use for this option, you can set a list of MP3s playing and turn the backlight off to save batteries!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but how would they know if it was on or off?

Maybe some blind people reading this could answer..

no... wait...

Deserthamster posted on Mar 23 2005 at 11:35 AM said:

What ??? Are you actually saying that an unlightened BLU screen is too dark? Hmmm... i haven´t seen one alredy, but that´s really disturbing... especially since the screen of the NLU was some of the best unlit screens ever. I almost can´t believe believe this merit has been given up just like that. But at least, its Gamepark... sigh. :( I´m sticking to my Nlu no matter what, why should i pay money for Hardware that´s basically the same as those i already posess, with new features as well as new flaws.

Just route the BLU switch to another button. It's a good idea to be able to turn the BLU light on and off (saving batteries during flashing, file transfers, mp3s and stuff that you don't need the screen for), but it'd be even better if you could just wire the thing to another button, or a switch or something. Or just take it out completely, the DS can only toggle the light via software.

The light off option is getting on my tits and has made Earthworm Jim 2 (megadrive) almost unplayable as the select button feels perfect for his gun.

Why they couldn't have had it as a combination of buttons is beyond me , Say a+b+r .

craigix posted on Mar 24 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
Yeah but how would they know if it was on or off?

Maybe some blind people reading this could answer..

no... wait...
Nope they could. They have that thing that narrates everything, sorry to ruin your joke.

I think its pretty shitty. THey should have made an extra screen off buttun which turns the backlight and LCD screen off while listening to MP3s. Press it once, turns backlight off. Hold it down for 2 seconds whole screen turns off. Now where did that idea come from? *cough* PSP *Cough*

kotd posted on Mar 25 2005 at 04:13 AM said:
I think its pretty shitty. THey should have made an extra screen off buttun which turns the backlight and LCD screen off while listening to MP3s. Press it once, turns backlight off. Hold it down for 2 seconds whole screen turns off. Now where did that idea come from? *cough* PSP *Cough*

And I bet if they had an extra screen light off button, we would still try and use it in an emulator whish would lead us right back to post No 1 again :lol:

Hmmm... perhaps some sort of additional switch on the back along the lines of the power switch would have been better? *cough* FLU *cough*

J(ohn)

Back