What SD Cards Will Pandy Take??

Kumaki

I have a few Lexar Professional SDXC 128GB 133x speed cards that work great.  Wondering if higher-speed cards will work, because it is hard to find tham at 133x speed anymore.

I also got a SanDisk Ultra Plus SDXC 64GB 48 MB/s card that does not seem to work in the Pandy.

Does anyone have some good cards to suggest...or maybe even some I might buy?  I prefer 128 GB, but will also consider 64GB.

I have a lot of video files I want to have available for my Pandy....a lot of .flv files.  I have two 128 GB cards full already, and enough flv video to fill at least one more...and plans for enough video for yet another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm rocking Sandisk Extreme 64GB cards in my Pandora, so I'm surprised Ultra Plusses aren't working.  Did you reformat them?

I agree. extFAT doesn't even appear in the desktop if you don't format them to FAT32 (or installing community codec pack from the repo with a working SD card and then formatting it into NTFS)

I bought the card at Office Max.  The one that does not work.

I used the Panasonic SD Formatter to format it.

I think it automatically formatted to exFAT.  Could that be my problem?  Or is the card just not one that works with Pandy....or both?

And does anyone have any cards for sale that DO work?

Not sure how I specify what to format to in the SD Formatter, anyway....just did a quick format.

I dunno, atari_afternoon, I can't read German...and I have no idea how much 39 Euro is to American Dollars...or if they would even ship to the United States.

Yes, all SDXC cards are formatted to ExFAT by default.  ExFat doesn't work on a stock Pandora, but I think I saw somewhere today some old instructions where Notaz said how to enable exfat support using opkg.  I'll have to see if I can find them.

Otherwise, I can't recommend a specific format to format it as, I'm afraid.  Mine are formatted to ext4 format, as I don't use Windows, so don't particularly care that windows machines can't read them.

Edit: Here you go: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18363-superzaxxon-v172-released/?page=3#comment-396002

I'm rocking Sandisk Extreme 64GB cards in my Pandora, so I'm surprised Ultra Plusses aren't working.  Did you reformat them?

I agree. extFAT doesn't even appear in the desktop if you don't format them to FAT32 (or installing community codec pack from the repo with a working SD card and then formatting it into NTFS)
Would THIS ONE work??
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Write--SDSDXN-128G-G46-Version/dp/B00MBFPT1W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442707265&sr=1-1&keywords=SanDisk+Extreme+SDHC+UHS-I+128GB+80MB%2Fs

Any SD card larger than 32GB is likely to come pre-formatted as exFAT.   You'll need to find a solution to that (either a process to reformat it to something the Pandora supports, or adding exFAT support to the pandora) before you'll be able to use any new SD card of such a size.    Given that notaz has made it available in the repo, I'd recommend following the instructions to install exFAT that Levi linked to above.

-Neelix

Yes, all SDXC cards are formatted to ExFAT by default.  ExFat doesn't work on a stock Pandora, but I think I saw somewhere today some old instructions where Notaz said how to enable exfat support using opkg.  I'll have to see if I can find them.

Otherwise, I can't recommend a specific format to format it as, I'm afraid.  Mine are formatted to ext4 format, as I don't use Windows, so don't particularly care that windows machines can't read them.

Edit: Here you go: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/18363-superzaxxon-v172-released/?page=3#comment-396002

Thank you.  This solved my problem...the 64GB SD card that previously was not being recognized by my Pandy now is.
I had never installed exfat.pnd, so there were no error problems.  I also had recently updated the firmware.

I used the instructions you pointed to in the Terminal.  Beautiful.
Now I can make it work.
If only I could afford a 256GB card, LOL

I have filled an entire 128 GB SD card, and an entire 64GB card...and still need another 64GB card.  I also am going to need one more 128 GB card for all the video files I have.

By the way, SMPlayer2 SAYS it supports the .mp4 format, but it would not play .mp4 files for me, which is why I converted them all my .mp4 files to .flv files using Any Video Converter.

HEck, I'd like to be able to get a Pyra, but doubt I am gonna be able to afford one.
I can't imagine what a 512 GB card must cost, since I saw 256GB cards advertised at over 700 bucks.

While I would love 2 x 512gb cards when I get my Pyra... The price atm is just not justifiable to me.

So I will probably get 1 x 256gb, and leave the other slot open untill 512gb are relatively cheap.

With one slot open, what I might do is go through my movie / series / emulation collection and break it down into chunks... and put each chunk on a seperate sd card and print some custom labels for each... I.e. my Star Trek card, my Studio Ghibli card, my Playstation card, my GB/GBA card, etc... and sleeve them all in a mini zip folder.

Then it will almost be like a cart based handheld.

... will take me back to my childhood where I went *everywhere* with a little bag neatly containing 1 x Game Boy classic, charger (yes, I had rechargeable batteries), spare set of batteries, link cable, and the cream of my game collection in sleaves.

*'Link's Awakening' always had pride of place. It had a gold sticker, so you could tell it was good.

I dunno, atari_afternoon, I can't read German...and I have no idea how much 39 Euro is to American Dollars...or if they would even ship to the United States.

That´s why I had included "(The Qumox one, 128 GB, ~ 38 Euros =>  ~ $ 43)" :D

I only buy SD cards from Sandisk - had other brands in the past and they always gave issues after using it for a longer period. Not sure it is still the right choice but since I started to buy Sandisk cards (I think I started with that 5-7 years ago) I only had one SD card fail on me and never had compatibility issues on any of my devices. 

I only buy SD cards from Sandisk - had other brands in the past and they always gave issues after using it for a longer period. Not sure it is still the right choice but since I started to buy Sandisk cards (I think I started with that 5-7 years ago) I only had one SD card fail on me and never had compatibility issues on any of my devices. 

I have had a few PNY SD cards over the last few years, so far I haven't had any issues with them. I have more Sandisk ones for sure. Sandisk has such name recognition, it's hard to be a competitor, my guess this sale is just to reduce inventory. 

Back