What SDHC class is best for the Pandora? Class 4? 6? 10?

lobski

I currently have a 32gb SDHC Class 10, and I hear it's bad for read/write speeds for smaller files. Which is bad, because apps that write to the SD write/read small files, like Firefox etc.

What class is the best for the Pandora?

Quite a few folk use class 10 cards without any issues to my knowledge and in some cases, such as running Daphne (laserdisc emu) they notice an improvement in the smoothness of playing speed. So its probably fine.

When you talk about the speed of reading and writing small files, it's not the class that you're interested in. The class only relates to the continued write throughput/speed on large write operations. What you need to concern yourself with is the I/O operations measure, which unfortunately, is something that it's hard to get good data on.

Toms hardware have done a couple of SD card labs with the benchmarks that you need. Though if you've got anything less than something like a Sandisk Extreme, it's likely that the I/O measure on your card is likely to be relatively bad. Samsung's SD cards are good middle grounds in terms of price/performance on the I/O side, I run my OS off them.

I notice a big difference between Class VI and X. X being superior. And also Class XVI SDXC seems a tad quicker than the SDHC Class X.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your use is just to play MP3 files and load tiny games - then class 4 will probably be OK.

If your use is to play MP3 files, movies, download files, etc - then class 6 will probably be OK.

If your use is to boot from the SD card, run desktop applications while downloading files and playing MP3 simultaneously, then you'll need the Class 10 or better cards.

My Humble Opinion Only.

My only problem is that when using Firefox or Midori, the file access light comes on and makes the browsing experience very slow of freeze for a few seconds. I am talking about the leftmost green light. What can I do to lessen this?

Back