What Should I Do With My Gp2x?

Thraka

Hey all. It's been a long time since I've been here. I bought my GP2X off the first lot available from http://www.gbax.com/ (preordered!) I was soooo excited when I got it. I was so happy to open the box and just sit back and admire it. After getting my SD card loaded up with some games, updating the firmware (or whatever I did back then) I played it for 20 minutes. After that, I put it back into it's box, and in the garage. I have not touched it since.

Why?

The stupid joystick. I've advocated a DPAD for soooo long after I used the 2X. I keep coming back every now and again. And now I've found that there are DPAD mods available! But a few things concern me..

1) Is there a DPAD mod for my very first version of the GP2X? (Am I MK1?)
2) What is the difference between the latest hardware available (if I was to buy brand new now) and my original version?
3) Should I sell mine and buy a brand new one? Perhaps I can buy a new one with the DPAD mod, and save cost on having to ship my GP2X out for someone to mod for me. (I dont want to install it myself)
4) Should I scrap it and just get some emus for my Nintendo DS? I'm going to go check out the scene but from what I last read, It doesn't require anymore hardware hacks to get custom code running on the Nintendo DS and there are some awesome things that can be done with touchscreen.

Please help me guys, I'm at a crossroad and with not having used my GP2X very long and hating the stick, I love it so dearly. Games like the SNES are available on DS via the GBA slot, and there are so many cool GBA and SNES games. But the GP2x has so many great things too! :(

You can give it to me if you like. You will have good karma, and your aura will go a lovely shimmery-pink colour.

Thraka posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:54 PM said:
Hey all. It's been a long time since I've been here. I bought my GP2X off the first lot available from http://www.gbax.com/ (preordered!) I was soooo excited when I got it. I was so happy to open the box and just sit back and admire it. After getting my SD card loaded up with some games, updating the firmware (or whatever I did back then) I played it for 20 minutes. After that, I put it back into it's box, and in the garage. I have not touched it since.

Why?

The stupid joystick. I've advocated a DPAD for soooo long after I used the 2X. I keep coming back every now and again. And now I've found that there are DPAD mods available! But a few things concern me..

2) What is the difference between the latest hardware available (if I was to buy brand new now) and my original version?
3) Should I sell mine and buy a brand new one? Perhaps I can buy a new one with the DPAD mod, and save cost on having to ship my GP2X out for someone to mod for me. (I dont want to install it myself)
4) Should I scrap it and just get some emus for my Nintendo DS? I'm going to go check out the scene but from what I last read, It doesn't require anymore hardware hacks to get custom code running on the Nintendo DS and there are some awesome things that can be done with touchscreen.

Please help me guys, I'm at a crossroad and with not having used my GP2X very long and hating the stick, I love it so dearly. Games like the SNES are available on DS via the GBA slot, and there are so many cool GBA and SNES games. But the GP2x has so many great things too! :(

Dpad mods work with the MK1

The new GP2Xs have a brighter higher contrast screen with no scanlines. The viewing angle is not quite as good. I like the new one better.

The stick in the new ones is rotated so it now responds better to ordinals, no more diagonal bias. The stick is not that bad on the new ones. I still prefer a pad though.

DS? Well the screen on that is only 3" and has a resolution on 256 x 192. Not quite high enough for most emulators especially Megadrive, NeoGeo where they are 320 x 220. The CPU is slower and the RAM alot less so many systems would not be too great on it. Don't expect full speed CPS2 or NeoGeo for DS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thraka posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:54 AM said:
Hey all. It's been a long time since I've been here. I bought my GP2X off the first lot available from http://www.gbax.com/ (preordered!) I was soooo excited when I got it. I
1) i think its the same except for a 45 degree twist... tho dont quote me :p
2)latest has a new menu but you can make a skin for... but hardware? as i said 45 degree stick rotation (for dead zone), new stick you can just buy a new stick and before you do a D-PAD mod i would buy BOTH new sticks for gp2x store and maybe that will fix it :) i likem :)
3)try the sticks in 2) first then get back to us..
4)you could but i wouldn't not yet, again try the sticks!! :D
also its very expensive to get a card for DS.... 512mb=$129.99!! vs. 4gb sd=$55!! yeah.

hope it helps (get both of these caps!)

First, you can get aq D-pad mod for shipping to Germany I think.

2nd, I have a DS and a GP2X. I end up playing my 2X about 95% of the time because of the high quality emulators for it. The DS is a no-comparison device. It's great for crappy 3D and good 2D commercial games, but the Emus suck on it.

Result=If you love emulators, stick with the GP2X and mod it to meet what you want. I've modded mine so that I get 4-6 hours continuous play OC'd @ 266Mhz

-Kensupen
(edit spelling)

If you want to make your MK1 stick a bit better, get one of the MK2 caps. That alone improves things soo much.

Thraka posted on Feb 1 2007 at 01:54 PM said:

If you haven't tried Dr.PocketSNES and gpSP for SNES and GameBoy Advance emulation I'd say give GP2X a chance there. gpSP will have dynamic recompilation in the near future which may improve its speed quite a bit! Reesy worked some real magic putting together the GP2X port of PocketSNES!

purple_goat posted on Feb 1 2007 at 07:16 PM said:
also its very expensive to get a card for DS.... 512mb=$129.99!! vs. 4gb sd=$55!! yeah.
What exactly do you mean? A 512MB SD card doesn't cost $129.99!

So is the general feeling that I should sell my MK1 and get an MK2? If I buy it from GBAX.com is it possible to just get it modded already with a dpad?

Mudi posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:03 PM said:
He's comparing DS flash cards to GP2X SD cards.
Despite the fact that almost nobody uses the cards with built in flash - everything decent has an SD slot of some kind :)

Thraka posted on Feb 1 2007 at 02:05 PM said:
So is the general feeling that I should sell my MK1 and get an MK2? If I buy it from GBAX.com is it possible to just get it modded already with a dpad?
I think you should get a davec dpad mod on your mk1

I have a similar problem with my mark1 gp2x.
I find the diagonal bias makes it unusable in many games unless you are very acurate.
I checked the german site for the dpad mod but it seems its only for mark2 gp2x.
Does anyone know if this can be adapted?

hitbyambulance posted on Feb 1 2007 at 03:53 PM said:
the newest MK2 device i bought - the stick is pretty ok. i don't have much of a problem with it ... it certainly beats the PSP one (and the Game Gear and Lynx pads).

quoted for truth

elecdrum posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:56 PM said:
I checked the german site for the dpad mod but it seems its only for mark2 gp2x.
Does anyone know if this can be adapted?

That just means he is probably out of one of the versions. There are two types made one for M1 one for M2.

Thraka posted on Feb 1 2007 at 02:54 PM said:

The DS isn't so great with emulation compared to the GP2X. Here's a split screen video of the GP2X vs. DS vs. GBA emulating SNES, NES, and even Atari 2600. The resolution and speed just isn't there.

SNES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3bZxwBGgo

NES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudRkevL1wk

Atari 2600
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPU8U8xy5Go

NES: NTSC/PAL at 256 x 240
GBA: 2.9" LCD at 240 x 160
DS: 3" LCD (each) at 256 x 192
GP2X: 3.5" LCD at 320 x 240

Fat Agnus posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:24 AM said:
Thraka posted on Feb 1 2007 at 02:54 PM said:

The DS isn't so great with emulation compared to the GP2X. Here's a split screen video of the GP2X vs. DS vs. GBA emulating SNES, NES, and even Atari 2600. The resolution and speed just isn't there.

SNES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3bZxwBGgo

NES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudRkevL1wk

Atari 2600
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPU8U8xy5Go

NES: NTSC/PAL at 256 x 240
GBA: 2.9" LCD at 240 x 160
DS: 3" LCD (each) at 256 x 192
GP2X: 3.5" LCD at 320 x 240

Seconded.

The GP2X and PSP are toe to toe right now emulation wise, with the DS as a distant third.

I should know, I own a DS+SC myself.

DS is great for its purposes, but an emulator it aint.

Back