What simple game controller to use for emulators

hmc

Hi guys,

when gaming with the Pandora, I usually don't use a seperate game controller.

However, I'd like to be able to play some 2-player games with my daughter in emulators such as SNES, MD etc, using TV-OUT.

What kind of external game controller can you recommend for it?

I don't know anything about game controllers, so please be patient ;-)

I don't need anything fancy. It should be easily available in Germany, cost less than about 15 Euros, have a USB connection to the Pandora with a long enough cable so that my daughter doesn't need to sit on my lap while gaming, and it should be convenient to use and have all the needed buttons for older games, i.e. navigation, A,B,X,Y, Start, Select. 

Also, is there any special configuration needed for such controllers, or are they used as HID devices by Linux and just need appropriate key assignment configuration in the emulators' or games' configuration?

Thanks!

USB controllers won't work transparently with programs that haven't added support with them because Pandora's controls are totally different events. But QJoyPad should work in converting USB gamepad input to look like Pandora native input.

Don't forget the USB Hub requirement for a wired controller (unless using an adapter to the OTG port?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lioncast-USB-PC-Controller-Gamepad-im-Snes-Retro-Style-Neu-/190706268108?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele_Controller&hash=item2c66fab7cc

and will see how it works.

I'll use an OTG adapter probably, as it is clumsy to put a hub in between.

I considered the following one, because it looks nicer and it mentions "USB 2.0" in the title, but I fear the offer may be faulty with saying it's USB 2.0. Why should this be USB 2.0?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spielsteuerung-Spiele-Controller-USB-2-0-Joystick-Fur-Laptop-Pc-Computer-/400531508642?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele_Controller&hash=item5d4189cda2

That other one you considered, is the same as the one I have.

Mine was also advertised as USB 2, no idea why, I too cannot see why it would be.

Works well though, hopefully your one does too, it looks decent

Back