What Type Of Usb Cable Do I Need For Gp32?

Cacique

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

I just got a GP32 and am eager to try it out...unfortunately I didn't get the USB cable with it. I looked at Lik-Sang and Play-Asia and a couple of others but they're sold out. Is it a proprietary cable or can a standard cable work.? If it can, which kind do I need, I've seen lots of USB cables with different connectors at Radio Shack... Mini 4 Pin A, Mini 5 Pin A, Mini 4 Pin B, etc., etc.. If it's not a standard, can you advise a place to buy this cable?

Thanks!
Jason

do you have a USB SMC Card Reader / Writer or a Digital camera that takes SMC Cardss ?

Really?

Who did you get it from?

They have cheated you!!

It should be under the white cardboard type thingy that the gp32 was on.

If you got it from anywhere but ebay, you should recieve one free of charge.

do you have a USB SMC Card Reader / Writer or a Digital camera that takes SMC Cardss ?
Hi,

No, I don't have a card reader/writer, or compatible camera (my camera uses SD.) Is the card reader/writer a better option than buying the cable?

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

Who did you get it from?

They have cheated you!!

It should be under the white cardboard type thingy that the gp32 was on.

If you got it from anywhere but ebay, you should recieve one free of charge.

I bought it off the Korean ebay website. Unfortunately my Korean is not very good, so I didn't realize this when I bought it.

it's a really good question actually... I didn't know there were so many standards...

having a quick look, there's at least 4 pins at the gp32 end... who knows which way they're wired up though, so i'm no help really...

you could try http://www.gbax.com for a replacement... they're based in the UK. there's an american-based vendor that could help too, I think...

Hi,

No, I don't have a card reader/writer, or compatible camera (my camera uses SD.) Is the card reader/writer a better option than buying the cable?

Jason

Card reader is easier and faster. You won't have to mess with quirky drivers and such with a reader.

unless he/she has a gp32 with the old korean firmware (not unlikely considering it was from eBay Korea) and an unformatted SMC...

you should get a card reader, you can get a 7 in 1 reader for a few dollars on ebay. I got mine on ebay and it is tons faster than using the USB cable. well worth the few $$

I think that you can format the SMC on windows as it was a floppy, selecting FAT16.
damnit! where were you last week when I asked that question ;) :lol:

it ended up taking me 5 hours screwing with different windows xp drivers till i finally got it

you need the usb to format the card for the first time

No you don't, SMC cards come pre-formatted. I have used over 15 cards and haven't formatted with PC-link a single time. I just take the card out of the box and drop the directories and .FXEs, ROMs etc. to it from windows and a card reader. I never once had a corrupt SMC.

The BLU and regular GP32's take different USB cables. And neither of them are standard (I think), so be careful. You might want to see if you can get one from one of the importers (lik-sang, gbax,gp32z,playasia)

I didn't realize there were so many types of USB cables too.....until last year I lost the cable for my HP digital camera and had to figure out what type of replacement cable I needed.

It sounds like the card reader is the way to go, and I can get my hands on one without much trouble. However, the firmware on the GP32 is Korean, so do I need the cable in order to update the firmware, or can I do the firmware upgrade with the card reader too?

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

you do the firmware upgrade using files stored on your SMC... If you can get files onto your SMC, you can do the firmware upgrade :)

Alrighty then, I'm off tomorrow to buy a card reader/writer.

BTW, all the resellers are out of stock on the cable (lik-sang, play-asia, gp32z, etc.) but you can order them direct from gp32.com if you can figure out the Korean. They're 11 000 won, or about $7 US, plus shipping of course.

http://gp32.com/consol/consol_ace_view.asp?indexNo=11&p=2

Thanks again for the help.
Jason

Back