What Will Happen To All The Devs?

vapourstreak

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
when the pandora comes out, which devs will stay with the wiz an dwhich ones will move to the pandora? I would expect most to move to the pandora, but I cant really buy it because they're probably going to be sold out in a few days.

My theory, there will be some division amongst the two, but at the same time there will also be some who will dev for both. It'll be interesting to see who goes where I agree, but I'm guessing that it'll be split a little more evenly than anyone would guess (due to different devs having different preferences in what their handheld is like and can do...)

With this forum covering all 3, I would expect some cross-platform devving to go on. But some (with the opengl option and faster speed) will probably just go the 'pandora way'.

Seeing how the basis for a good share of the devs environment is cross-platform portable code(using the likes of SDL and such) them both being healthily supported is almost a given.

Split? Yeah, I don't think so. Most devs do open source code, and even the ones who don't are liable to either dev for both or give the source to someone who will port it. Since both platforms use ARM it'll be easy to port a lot of things, with not very much complexity in the platform specific parts of either. Most things done for the Wiz will be easy to port to Pandora, and most things done for Pandora that wouldn't be easy to port to Wiz would have probably done been done for Wiz to begin with (if Pandora didn't exist).

Anything I currently write is written in Fenix, and there's guaranteed to be a runtime for both the Wiz and the Pandora.

When I have both systems, only time will tell which one stays in my handbag and that I guess will be the one I will primarily code for.

I wasn't meaning a split that way, I was more aiming at splitting the devs across the two platforms, not the projects... there will always be the ones who buy both, but some will choose one or the other and dev for it, simply based on some of the common purchase deciding questions: What can I afford? What do I want to play with? Where are my cohorts going to? etc.

I think what was misinterpreted was that I was talking devELOPERS and you were thinking devELOPMENT, or maybe it wasn't my comment that led to your *shrugs* not really sure... and on that note I do agree with what you are saying Exophase, two very similar platforms that will form two very like-minded communities... and with these new handhelds being added to the mix it'd be nice to see if the GP2X still retained some devs and some new devs flooded in...

^ WarmFluffyUK: heh, I still have a hard time deciding whether I'm grabbing the GP32, GP2X or Zodiac for an outing, although if it's gonna be > 5 hours I always take the GP32 ;) And due to my rechargeable batteries getting killed off, I've been favoring the Zodiac, which is complete opposite of 6 months ago 'cause the rechargeables were still kicking and the zod's lithium was lasting 20 minutes :p

Hooka said:
I wasn't meaning a split that way, I was more aiming at splitting the devs across the two platforms, not the projects... there will always be the ones who buy both, but some will choose one or the other and dev for it, simply based on some of the common purchase deciding questions: What can I afford? What do I want to play with? Where are my cohorts going to? etc.
What I meant by community is #gp2xdev (this is the legendary awesome community, not GP32x :p) and I suspect that most people there will go one way or the other (or stay with the GP2X, which also seems a popular option) unless the other communities change their attitudes to donations radically. Projects will be ported between machines of course by other people, but developers don't like buying machines and there is a lot of politics that doesn't really leak through to GP32x.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I need to get 3D game demos to show, I'm going to get a Pandora first... and then see what I can afford from there. I would like to get both, just because I like gadgets, but on that note, I still don't have a GP32, etc... so it's all about money and I suspect I'll only end up with Pandora, keeping my 2X. Or worst case, just being stuck with my 2X :p

Hooka said:
I am such a consumer whore I have a shirt that says so!
This one? :)
tpb2%20-%20photo.jpg

Orkie said:
Agreed, the community is almost guaranteed to split.
No I don't think it is. As much as you seem to relish the idea of some drama like that, I just don't think this is the kind of place to do it.

The war of the niche handhelds. What a brilliant move for us that would be :huh:

We should all encourage and help devs on all open platforms because eventually it will help us, splits in the open community are exactly the kind of thing Sony/MS/Apple love and I don't doubt they are involved in some of it.

There may be devs who favour one platform over another but that doesn't mean they won't develop for the other one. A good example is zx-81. He favours the psp over the GP2X but still ports his excellent emus to GP2X and updates them as well

craigix said:
No I don't think it is. As much as you seem to relish the idea of some drama like that, I just don't think this is the kind of place to do it.

The war of the niche handhelds. What a brilliant move for us that would be :huh:

We should all encourage and help devs on all open platforms because eventually it will help us, splits in the open community are exactly the kind of thing Sony/MS/Apple love and I don't doubt they are involved in some of it.
Nah, I'm just a little sore about all the abuse that has come my way over the last few months - I'm sure you understand ;).

vapourstreak said:
any devs who want to say what they're gonna develop for?
Me already working on 3d game engine for Wiz that will be sufficent for wide range of game genres.

Back