What will Pyra replace for you?

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
While a Pyra will replace Pandoras for some users, what else do you see yourself replacing with the Pyra?

If you are a Pandora owner that plans on buying a Pyra what do you see yourself doing with your Pandora?

I don't currently use a smartphone for typical use, and hate having a leash, so for me the Pyra will replace the mobile phones I try not to carry, with the added benefit of me not feeling guilty (hopefully) for turning off 3G if I am not expecting to be contacted.  I think I might be able to use the Pyra for more things that I do with a laptop or desktop computer, so while it won't replace those it will reduce my use of them.  I may return my Pandora to the original purpose of just playing games, maybe around the house.

It will replace my Linux Notebook for all day use(mostly SSH, IRC, webbrowsing) and of cause my Pandoras.

It wont replace my CadNotebook(Windows Notebook with Inventor Professional and Autocad) and it wont replace my Xeon Workstation(also used for Cad, Videoediting and 3D Rendering.

If RAWmagic runs well it might partly replace my Camera Notebook(atm. a MacBook with Photoshop and Lightroom)

My Pyra will replace my Pandora. My two Pandoras will at some point go to my two daughters, when they're old enough. At the moment, I can't really give them a Pandora yet. One of them would try to eat it or bang it against random objects to see what happens (babies are like particle physicists in that respect), and the other would use crayons for a stylus.

I hope my every day Laptop.

With HDMI it needs a lot less power than my Laptop.

All I might want a new Computer for is some Gaming then.

But depends on what the Pyra (and ARM architecture) is capable of.

I think it will be very much like my Pandora. My Pandora replaced all my consoles, so basically the Pyra will replace my Pandora 8^D

I am very excited about the upcoming Pyra, it is at the top of my wish list.

I forgot the phone.

Hope it will replace my E90 Communicator.

Would be a big benefit if I only have to carry one device with me at a time.

It won#t replace my consoles.

Maybe fro some games but it will never be able to make my Wii U and 3DS unused.

Games are simply too good.

Bevor the Pyra do replace my Pandora, i need all the main Apps to run first on the Pyra: all Emus up to Nintendo DS and PSX N64,

Then i would give the Pandora to my Dad..

I also wants the Pyra for Dreamcast Emulation, and mybe a a Musik Tool because hopefully Rackarak will run (the Linux E-Guitar Amp Software)..

Sometime i need a Camera, so Pyra wouldt replace my Phone...

According to his Youtube Scills, i also would use it as Utube Player to replace my Phone for this Use...

But until then, theres a lot of time where i can my Phone and my Pandora use for this (expekt Dreamcast as i only have a CC Pandora)...

My pandora. Not expecting it to replace anything else. I think I'll prefer a lighter, smaller and more task-oriented device for a phone, a bigger screen for a laptop, more processing power for desktop, and so on.

I don t know: mybe there is a Backwart Compabibetly build in on the Pyra, and whe just have to get our SD Karts out from the Pandora and stick they in the Pyra ..

In this Case, The Pyra will replace the Pandora when its got his first full Batterie Loading..

I expect it to replace my Galaxy Note 8.0 phone/tablet (and maybe even my laptop for some tasks, depending on the Pyra's actual performance). I haven't been using my Pandora lately and I'm really looking forward to having an always connected pocket device with a physical keyboard again. I've gotten myself a decent compact camera again, so I don't need a camera in the Pyra nor the one in my tablet. I just hope the 5" screen will be big enough for annotating PDFs.

Wifi Hotspot with 3G in it.. Pyra will take care of the 3G connection :D

I also think it'll replace my Pandora as well because the Pandora case is really driving me batty.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Pandora/Pyra does not replace my laptop, tablet, phone and TV (and gaming devices if I would have any), since those dedicated devices still have their strengths. I'm not going to watch movies on a 5" handheld when I'm at home and I can use a 55" TV or a beamer instead. I'm not going to visit this forum on my Pandora if I can use a laptop or desktop PC instead. And so on.

So it does not replace any of those devices. But when I'm on the go, or if I'm not at home or at work and I want to travel light, then a Pandora/Pyra is an excellent substitute for all of those devices. It may not be the best at everything, but it's certainly good enough. Yes, a big keyboard is better than a handheld keyboard, but when I have to go to meetings and take notes, I don't bother carrying a laptop with me -- the Pandora keyboard is good enough for me. When I'm in a tram or subway, I'm not going to try to use a laptop or even a tablet, but a Pandora is fine.

In some things, the Pandora/Pyra is actually the best, and there is nothing that can replace it. In most things, the Pandora/Pyra is not the best, but just good enough. The real strength of the device is that it is good enough at so many different things :) .

It's like a Swiss army knife: sure, there are better knifes, better screwdrivers, better everything. But to have 'good enough' compact versions of all of those things at the same time, always with you, that is the nice thing about them.

Let me add some perspective to emphasize this point.

The main technological breakthrough of the 20th century was the invention (first theoretically, then practically) of the general purpose computer. One machine that can do essentially anything. Before that, there would be dedicated machines for anything: one machine to compute logarithm tables, another machine to process census data, yet another machine to compute missile trajectories. The realization that universal machines are possible, that code is data, was probably one of the most important insights in the history of mankind. The tremendous rapid progress in engineering made general purpose computers enormously much more powerful, affordable, practical and portable in just a few decades. The computing power of one smartphone probably exceeds the total computing power of the entire world around WW2.

Yet, in recent years there has been an odd reverse trend. General purpose computers are everywhere, but they are increasingly used only for specific, restricted purposes. A GPS device probably has a powerful general-purpose processor, but it is only used to compute paths. A music player or media player is only used for decoding some specific data formats. A smartphone, tablet or smart TV can theoretically run any software, but typically you're not allowed to install arbitrary software on it or to get full control over the device. In a sense, a lot of companies have decided that general-purpose computers have to be restricted, effectively going back to the non-Turing-complete special-purpose machines of the early 20th century. They give various reasons for these restrictions: anti-piracy, user-friendliness, security, etc. The most important reason is of course that they hope to get more profits out of it.

In this context, a hacker-friendly, fully open handheld device, which is extremely versatile both in terms of hardware and in terms of software, is something of great value to me.

Well, since I don't have a Pandora, the Pyra will definately be 'replacing' that. 

I will be using the Pyra mainly for computing, programming, the 3G connnection, and gaming. 

I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 and two laptops; one for gaming and general purpose computing, and the other for messing around on (I am on that one right now since I am on a vacation, and it is ancient.)  The tablet I mainly use for drawing and internet browsing (even if it is rather cumbersome and annoying and...)

While the Pyra cannot completely replace some of these functions, I feel that the Pyra will be an amazing tool to use.  In fact, if I can connect a Wacom tablet to it, it will probably replace a lot more then my technology...

Also, I do love opensource.  :D

-Glyph Reader

I just hope the 5" screen will be big enough for annotating PDFs.
I do this for 3 Years now every week at University.

Don't know what for you need a bigger screen.

Xournal already works perfectly.

Higher resolution would be nice some times.

It'll probably replace my aging laptop and some of my gaming consoles.

Won't be replacing my desktop computer as, contrary to my own initial belief, even laptops cannot do that. The big screen and ergonomics just cannot be beaten (and the price also, desktop PC parts are surprisingly cheap these days).

I just hope the 5" screen will be big enough for annotating PDFs.
I do this for 3 Years now every week at University.

Don't know what for you need a bigger screen.
An 8" flat surface to annotate A4 pdfs is a pretty big difference to the 4.3" inches of the Pandora.

Xournal already works perfectly.

Higher resolution would be nice some times.
Honestly, I don't really like Xournal. I hope there'll be an Android compatibility layer of some sort so I can use Lecture Notes, which is way, way better. (Just not open source, sadly.)

In addition to the higher resolution the higher performance and RAM of the Pyra will help a lot, I imagine. (At least with lecture scripts of 200 pages.)

Back