Whats about an official Pandora Game Controller?

Kimundi

Well, after seeing that some people seems to want small gamepads for multiplayer purposes, and that there could be some possible incompatiblities with the USB port (low spec not working), I thought that maybe the Pandora Team could create an official Pandora Game Controller, consisting just of the Game Controls that are build into an regular pandora.

Imagine it that way: Take a pandora, remove the lid and the keyboard, and then replace the motherboard with a usb gamepad controller IC and a 4 port usb 2.0 hub.

It would be attached via a removable usb cable (normal USB A for the pandora side, and mini usb for the controller side) and would expose 3 usb ports (the fourth would be internally wired to the gamepad controller IC)

Of course the Pandora Crew should not be botherd with something like that now, but maybe later after the second batch has been sold, it could be an good accesoire, also for people who would not want to buy a pandora, but are looking for a good, small usb gamepad.

I also made a image (althought without usb ports):

I'm fine with my logitech dual action thanks
Logitech-DualActionUSB-L23-.jpg

player4 said:
Cute. But why would you want one?
Multiplayer perhaps? Of corse if you don't want the second person leaning over your shoulder you'd have to play on a tv. Doubt many people will actually end up doing that.

Considering controllers such as the logitech one can be picked up anywere cheap now days it seems kinda pointless. I'd prefer the devs to spend their time and money on making better software for the pandora myself.

Kimundi; your picture very much reminds me of the wii-mote for some reason. :p

I like the enthusiasm, but the idea doesn't fly. You'll almost always be able to get a better controller at cheaper prices elsewhere, since there are bigger companies working on these.

Not that I'm a big fan of the PS3... but the PS3's wireless controllers operate over bluetooth, as do the Wii's... and the Pandora has built-in bluetooth, so... problem solved, right?

PS3 controller is my plan if need a seperate controller, for now. not as comfortable as my 360 controllers, but there are some third-party wireless PS3 controllers out there that might work out.

ravyne said:
Not that I'm a big fan of the PS3... but the PS3's wireless controllers operate over bluetooth, as do the Wii's... and the Pandora has built-in bluetooth, so... problem solved, right?
Right - certainly PS3.

Kisama said:
Yigguth said:
I'm fine with my logitech dual action thanks
Logitech-DualActionUSB-L23-.jpg
I love that controller. Works great for me, as well.
a have one in the series, but it has problems. the dpad is pretty nice, but the whole analog/pov toggle is horrid, the software is murder, and the buttons are too hard to press fast.

The day I want an extra controller is the day I mod a standard NES controller to work over bluetooth.

Well, I agree that for ergonimic handling a bigger controller like Dualshock3 / Wiimote / other Gamepad would be better, but that is not what my idea is about. :p

My Idea is to have a Gamepad/Usb Hub Hybrid that is small enough to have always with you, and that could fit in any pandora case that provides enough room for smaller accesiors like usb cords. It would be for situations where a second gamepad / a usb hub would be handy but you didn't know that you would need it. It could also act as an Wired Remote Control for Mp3 Playback :wink:

I actually tried it with paperfold versions of the pandora and the gamepad , and they fit quite well in my old, generic Nintendo DS Bag along with an 1.5 m USB Cord and enough room for some sd cards or similar small things.
It also doesn't feel uncomfortable, Its like holding a Wiimote sideways (it even has the same dimensions), just not so thick.

Also keep in mind that you would need to use a usb hub or an USB OTG Host adapter for usb gamepads anyway, because they usually dont't use the High Speed USB Mode.

I admit that this would probaly not make it to something official produced by the Pandora Team, but I think a Kit consisting of a custom PCB and Pandora Spare Parts (Buttons/Rubber Pad) + Case should be possible

Other possible (and very specific :lol: ) Scenarios which attempt to show you that my idea is not fully worthless :p :

It could push new customers towards the Pandora, for example if someone plans to buy eee pc/laptop/umpc/whatever to use it for games/emulators and is looking for a small Gamepad, and he finds this he would stumble over the pandora, and may find exacly was he is looking for (I know, very unlikely scenario ^_^ )

Or if someone is interested in the Pandora, but wants to test the Game Controls before buying an expensive device.

It could also be useful for Developers on the Pc, who wants to create software for it, but would not want to buy the pandora, but need to know if you can use it properly whit the pandora controls.

The same goes for Beagle Board developers who want to code for the Pandora...

Truth be, if that thing used bluetooth and a rechargable battery I would want two. This way I could play multiplayer with my GF with ease while at her place, and even show off to my friends rather easily.

Do I think the devs should build it? Not really, I think they did an amazing job with the hardware (from what little has been showcased) and I would love the device if the software was so to speak as hand crafted as the hardware.

Besides, one less thing I need to buy means the sooner I will likely have excess funds to spend on the dev fund, TV out cables and a good TV to output to while home.

I tried loads of control pads and none of them were any good, i don't think companies take their time on pads, the best control pads are made by Nintendo they have accurate button layout and controls especially Gamecube,N64 are one greatest pads i have ever used, i easily recommened Logitech dual action pads they have awesome analogue sticks.

As soon as anyone gets the PS3 controller working on a Pandora through bluetooth they need to setup a good tutorial. I can't get it working on my Gentoo box or through Ubuntu. It's pretty much a hit and miss thing. Once one person gets it working though then it will work for everyone.

One question is why would you want to have another controller for your Pandora? Do you plan on using video to play single/multi-player on your TV? I just can't see anyone wanting to play two player on the Pandora screen.

I hope that the games and emus will network wirelessly with at least all Linux ARM devices like the Touch Book or maybe even other PCs. In that case the player using the other device would need to worry about a controller, as you've already got one.

^ If that question is directed at me, I don't plan on multiplayer. I just need that one PS2 controller, the one I ordered, and with it I can play games on my PC and my Pandora while enjoying 12 feet of length and a big screen.

Back