Whaty's the deal with the TurboGrafx-16 resolution

Rambozo

Why is it that some TG-16 games (Like Ninja Spirit and Military Madness) run at full screen on the GP32 under GPengine, but most do not, instead running in a square portion in the center of the screen? Is there any way to make them all fullscreen, or is there a list of which ones run at fullscreen.....?

it's to do with the way they were programmed. the PCengine supported different graphics modes, as do most home consoles that run through TVs. the TV adapts to the screen res much like a PC monitor, but a fixed res display such as the GP32 can't/doesn't.

You can't.

The PCE had 2 modes - 256 and 320 horizontal. Vertical resolution was always 224. Most games used 256, but some used 320.

The only way 256 res games can be full screen is *if* the emu author adds some type of stretching. But that could look bad depending on how it's done, plus it'll take up more CPU cycles since everything on GP32 is done by software.

PocketNES has stretching, and it runs fine. And it looks decent too, despite the aspect ratio being way wider than the GP32 in relation to how tall they are.

Yes but PocketNES is for the PocketPC and it's not a PC Engine emulator, so don't compare them. GPVSGB has stretching but obviously GB games aren't too complex, GPEngine can't even get full speed at 133 Mhz. Stretching will still add some slowdown that we can't do with.

Rico posted on Apr 29 2003 said:
Yes but PocketNES is for the PocketPC and it's not a PC Engine emulator, so don't compare them. GPVSGB has stretching but obviously GB games aren't too complex, GPEngine can't even get full speed at 133 Mhz. Stretching will still add some slowdown that we can't do with.
How odd, I could have sworn that PocketNEs was an emulator for GBA, seeing as how I have it here, running on my GBA and all. If the GBA hardware can emulate NES perfectly even with stretching, you'd think the GP32 could as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could get military madness working at all I would be happy, but I've gone through about 10 or so roms and NONE of them work! :eek:

Ninja Gaiden won't work either :angry:

Rambozo posted on Apr 29 2003 said:
How odd, I could have sworn that PocketNEs was an emulator for GBA, seeing as how I have it here, running on my GBA and all. If the GBA hardware can emulate NES perfectly even with stretching, you'd think the GP32 could as well.
Are we talking about NES here or PCEngine? ;)

Note: I'd like to see GBA even try to emulate the PCEngine at all :lol:

Well, then go try PCEadvance by Flubba, one of the guys who works on PocketNES for GBA. It's amazing for what it is, but it's dead slow, glitchy as hell and very limited in general because the GBA simply has too many limitations.

PocketNES on GBA is a different story - it's near perfection. But only because Loopy, the original author, used the GBA's internal sprite/background hardware to render NES graphics. Otherwise it would literally be impossible. The GP32 has no such graphics hardware, but must rely solely on its CPU to render graphics, so yes it's faster than GBA, but the GBA can still do some things pretty well if programmed properly.

Also, PocketNEs does not stretch, because that implies making the image larger. It _scales_ down the image because the GBA screen is too low res to fit every line of resolution at once.

As for GPengine, I'm sure some sort of fast horizontal stretch could be implemented once the emu is optimized more, without causing that much of a perormance hit. But I wonder how good or bad it would look unless some complex and slow interpolation algo is applied. Personally, the square shape unstretched doesn't bother me at all. And some games ARE full screen as noted. :) It's all good!

to clear up the confusion:

there is a version of pocketNES for GBA and a similarly-named (but very different) version by someone else, for pocketPC. All they share is a name, by coincidence I believe..

The real question is: How do we kidnap loopey and make him work on gp32 emulators while imprisoned in one of our homes? <_<

Meonlyeviler posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
The real question is: How do we kidnap loopey and make him work on gp32 emulators while imprisoned in one of our homes? <_<
Lure him with promises of numerous whores made entirely of candy?

So Rambozo to clear up - 1) I was thinking of a different emulator, 2) It makes no difference because it was a NES emulator anyway, and 3) The GBA can barely run the PCEngine as I expected.

Basically it would be doable, maybe slower, but depends on whether Black-- feels like it. Go bug him, and stop with the attitude already ("I could have sworn that PocketNEs was an emulator for GBA") it's getting tiresome.

- Rico

Rico posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
So Rambozo to clear up - 1) I was thinking of a different emulator, 2) It makes no difference because it was a NES emulator anyway, and 3) The GBC can barely run the PCEngine as I expected.

Basically it would be doable, maybe slower, but depends on whether Black-- feels like it. Go bug him, and stop with the attitude already ("I could have sworn that PocketNEs was an emulator for GBA") it's getting tiresome.

- Rico
"GBC"? Wow, a PCEngine emulator running on Game Boy Colour? I'm Impressed! :lol:

Oh and don't give me attitude. You're the one who made the mistake(s).

That said, I'd love to see stretching implemented, but if not then I think I'll live. I'm too blinded by the quality of titles like Ninja Spirirt and Devil's crush to care about the screen size...alot. :)

First it's the use of 'crypt' instead of 'encrypt', now it's one letter off ... you've got to learn to be a little more tolerant of others when they post. Not everyone can be expected to write regularly with no mistakes or spelling errors whatsoever. For example, you capitalised 'Impressed', misspelt 'Spirit' and missed out a space in 'a lot'.

- Rico

Well, I guess it isn't a mistake that you referred to a NES emulator to gauge the speed possibilities of a PC Engine emulator then... must just be massive ignorance, especially after it was pointed out in a prior post that comparing the two just doesn't fit.

Also Rambozo, take a guess at whom most of the people on these boards will support - someone who has posted hundreds of messages helping people, or someone who whines, complains, rants and raves all in their first few posts.

Now, both of you be gentlemen and lets just drop the darn subject!

BTW, Nutzo - Good job on a clear, concise, well written post.

Alright, I agree, I'll drop the subject. Now would be a good time to lock the topic, but I don't think anyone except hando can.

Back