When Could I Get One?

The limit on how many units would be sold in the first batch was lifted during the pre-order period. Instead, the limit became a time deadline of the end of October 5th. Just under 4000 units were pre-ordered over the course of 6 days. 2000 pre-orders were made within the first 6 hours. They eventually let some more pre-orders trickle in and made the cut-off at 4000 (they could only make a maximum of 5000 Pandoras per month).

As far as when you'll be able to get your hands on an actual Pandora unit is concerned, the latest information we have on a time line is this "mini-roadmap" that's been posted on the OpenPandora website:

* Case Design: January 15th
* Case Prototyping: approx. 1-2 weeks later
* Final production and delivery: approx. 2 - 4 weeks later

So any time within the next couple of weeks i would be able to order one? i just splashed out on a big i7 computer upgrade and recently got a new phone so im low on cash..

about a month would be too late? hmm.

I'll see what i can do, i dont want to miss a batch and have to wait 3+ months after these to be able to order again.
Btw will PayPal be ok to order with by then?

Shadow of Chaos said:
So any time within the next couple of weeks i would be able to order one? i just splashed out on a big i7 computer upgrade and recently got a new phone so im low on cash..

about a month would be too late? hmm.

I'll see what i can do, i dont want to miss a batch and have to wait 3+ months after these to be able to order again.
Btw will PayPal be ok to order with by then?
That's the estimate for when the first batch starts shipping. Odds are strongly against getting one in the first batch since they're mostly all spoken for. A second batch is probably only a month or two after. So, assuming the first batch ships by March, it's my estimate that you should be able to buy from the second batch starting in May.
Don't quote me on that though, I'm just an optimist with some mild realist tendencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm jumping on the second batch for sure, already got the cash set aside. I miss being a part of the community more than anything else, even if I was a mediocre tiny part and only ever managed to crank out an SDL version of Connect 4 with no scoring ;) (that never even ran on a GP2X, either)

WizardStan said:
That's the estimate for when the first batch starts shipping. Odds are strongly against getting one in the first batch since they're mostly all spoken for.
Shadow of Chaos said:
may.. that means i wont actually get one til end of may or early june

oh well
There are something like 100 to 200 left over Pandoras due to canceled orders and such. If you want a first batch Pandora, I'd recommend still trying to get in on one of these units. Don't give up! :)

There are something like 100 to 200 left over Pandoras due to canceled orders and such.

As much as I would like to believe that, none have actually been produced yet. On the other hand, a production run is a production run and is set at a certain quantity for certain reasons, so it could be necessary to make up the numbers.

On the other, other hand, the whole taking of pre-orders hasn't been that much fun yet so it would be sensible to just stick the left over units up for sale immediately after the first batch has shipped. A first-come, first served between the first and second batch.

*refresh refresh refresh refresh refresh refresh refresh*

I should have clarified: There are supposedly 100-200 pre-order spots in line left due to canceled orders.

They are probably going to want to Bogart 100-150 of them to make sure they don't run out of replacements for Pandora's that turn out even after testing to be defective, although they said they had a lot of extra parts.

Even so, wile it may seem like there are tuns of people lurking around trying to pick up a first batch Pandora there probably are not so many that actually check for updates regularly. Some luck will still be needed but I hope that it is very possible to get a first batch Pandora.

However it is very possible that many of the Pandora's get used for promotional purposes. If one promotional Pandora brings in 10 second batch Pandora sales then it is worth it.

audovoice said:
They are probably going to want to Bogart 100-150 of them to make sure they don't run out of replacements for Pandora's that turn out even after testing to be defective, although they said they had a lot of extra parts.
They have already planned to produce 200 more for that purpose. 3800 were pre-ordered, 4000 will be produced.

ED mentioned that they produce in 400 units batches, so all these numbers aren't really that important, I think. If mass production works, they will supposedly just continue with taking orders. I wouldn't be surprised if they take orders for the second batch while the last orders from the first batch are still being processed, if the supply chain is well established by then. Remember: Their profit will come with future batches, so they will want to get black figures fastest possible.

Hmmm. How do you get a hand of those first batch-leftovers? Is it just a matter of ordering fast from the second batch, or do you need to do something special? (I'm so regretting not ordering the first time!)

I geuss they're going to open ordering again. If you want to find out when, I suggest the newsletter. Sign up on openpandora.org

if they go in a matter of hours after being available i will probably miss it..

Btw, does anyone know what the system can actually be clocked to stably? because if it can go higher than 900mhz it will help hugely with dreamcast emulation.

Back