When Did A Game First...

Skop

AutoBots.....Transform!!
Website
Visit site
My moment was when I saw Mario 64 round a mate's house (back when N64's cost £250).

Completely staggering. He made me wash my hands first before I could hold the controller, mind.

I bought one soon after and sold all my precious snes games for the first game I could find, Extreme G <_< .

I'd be surprised if a game visually astounded me like that one did.

aahhhhh.......

Eww, when I saw Mario64 for the first time I was disgusted. (its a fun game however).

When did a game first blew me away? Well thats kind of an odd mix of english....

When did a game first blow me away? I dont think any, to date, have. I think FF1 came really close though..., maybe, just maybe, Super Metriod.

Mario RPG for SNES. It was so friggin' amazing at the time. I was surprised the SNES could handle it. I also remember being amazed at the ending, where that Johnathan the Blue shark/fish guy is at the cliff looking into the sunset. I remember thinking that it was so realistic, I couldn't believe that the SNES could do that.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 16 2004 at 10:32 PM said:
When did a game first blew me away? Well thats kind of an odd mix of english....
Point taken. I was hoping that it is correct because I was referring to the past. Oh well..

It disgusted you?

hmm, well I was quite young at the time. 7 maybe. 16 now, can't accurately calculate how long ago it was. It was like witnessing a bearded bloke walk on water in my small minded little way.

**do you think my signature is too large? I'm a little concerned, for politeness sake really**

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing Virtua Fighter in a bar was pretty amazing at the time. I hadn't seen anything that used real 3d vectors since Elite, so seeing Virtua Fighter seemed like a glimpse into the future - you could tell at the time that it wouldn't be long before all games were like this and the pointy face features would go away.

the first console i had was the saturn, the first game i put in was sega rally after 2 days of finding the right lead!!! i was totally stunned, id only ever played a sms in a friends house before. then i loaded virtua fighter and was like, WOW! i was only about 5 or 6 though.

The first game was Leisure Suit Larry. I played it when I was about 6 and loved the fact I could type English in and the guy would do what I told him to, however lewd.

Last game was Far Cry. Emerge from a claustrophoic, Doom 3-quality interior to a luscious forest, packed with dense fog and treetop platforms connected with bridges. All around you soldiers are shooting loose research specimens, jeeps are driving in and unpacking with gunners, and in the distance you can see dense forests and cliff-top research-buildings. It was just an awe-inspiring sight. Similarly when you play the Fort (demo) level and look up to the satellite and release that it's not part of the background, but rather where you'll end up at the end. Get up there, look down over the entire island and see where you started. Amazing.

Seeing Aeris walk down that street in the amazing opening FMV of FFVII.

And Rico, I totally agree, I haven't been so impressed with a game in years. Despite the dodgy storyline and narrative it's incredibly immersive.

Shame I've almost finished it :(

Believe it or not the first game to blow me away was FF8, BEFORE I PLAYED IT. My cousin had it and showed me the ending..fantastic. Then I played the game and when I beat and saw the part with Laguna and Raine, i almost busted a tear.

If a game ever blew me away, I don't remember it. :(

... scratch that, after sitting here for ten minutes I remember. :p

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I must have been 6 when I played it. I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Pandemonium on PS1, first 3D I every saw... begged my mum to get me a PSX after that and she promised to that night (she was drunk) she kept to her word and it cost like 250 quid :)

When i fifrst completed ocarina of time it was a truly great moment as i remembered all that had come before the end, umm other than that possibly when i got all 120 stars on mario64, completin gmetal gear solid 2 and 1 was good but the effect quickly wore off, i was amazed when i first played splinter because i though thow much better it was at stealth than metal gear (no annoying interuptions from bloody cutscenes either) i cudn't believe how metal gear had phobbed me off and make me think that it was really good at stealth!!!

Recently Farcry... to put it simply its lush... but ya need a beast of machine to run it properly !
No one lives for ever 2....
Wipe out and tekken on my mates psone..ent out and bought on the next day..that did totally blow me away at the time :D !
F Zero on the SNES had to go and buy one...
Defender of the Crown and Sword of Sodan on the Amiga...forced me to pester my parents buy one .. Sword of sodan gameply is proper shit :rolleyes: but gfx at the time were amazing, like having an arcade game on yer telly :D

thebluenewt posted on Apr 17 2004 at 02:17 PM said:
Seeing Xenon 2 on my mate's Amiga, I only had a BBC Micro at the time and the graphics and sound seemed amazing, especially the music.

All together now:

doo, doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo...
The Bitmap Bros. always had the best music!

http://www.retrogaming.it/music/music.htm

Bomb the Bass...classic.

The first game that blew me away...shit, I can't remember! I have vivid memories of being wowed by FFVII, though, so I guess I'll have to settle for that. But it would more likely be something from my Amiga days.

Wait...Yoshi's Island floored me when I first set eyes on its pastel hues and crayon lines, as it still does today. Give me time and I'll remember further back in to the depths of time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back