Where To Buy A Cheap 32Gb Sd Card?

Vitel

Website
vminko.org
I'm looking for a ~20Mbps r/w SDHC card.
I found this one ($84):
http://cgi.ebay.com/150X-32GB-HIGH-SPEED-SECURE-DIGITAL-SD-CARD-SDHC-32-GB_W0QQitemZ120527073146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Memory_Cards?hash=item1c0ff92f7a

Is there something cheaper?

Vitel said:
I'm looking for a ~20Mb r/w SDHC card.
I found this one ($84):
http://cgi.ebay.com/150X-32GB-HIGH-SPEED-SECURE-DIGITAL-SD-CARD-SDHC-32-GB_W0QQitemZ120527073146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Memory_Cards?hash=item1c0ff92f7a

microcenter has REALLy cheap sd cards and flash drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pardon me for dropping into your thread to say this Vitel, but it cannot be repeated enough: Do not buy flash media on eBay.

Almost all flash media on eBay is fake, and a number of fakes are starting to be sold for prices resembling genuine retail prices, so as not to set off people's "Too good to be true" alarms.

Note that I'm *not* saying this seller is selling fakes - just that it's wise to avoid flash media on eBay.

More on-topic, it's difficult to recommend good deals without knowing what country you're from. :p Good bets if you're European would be Play.com or the various regional Amazon sites (though be sure to avoid third-parties selling via Amazon - some fakes have cropped up there, too, from time to time), and I understand that Newegg is a popular choice in the US. 7DayShop is also good, if you're from the UK.

notyu said:
Vitel said:
I'm looking for a ~20Mb r/w SDHC card.
I found this one ($84):

microcenter has REALLy cheap sd cards and flash drives.
Looks like they don't ship worldwide :-(

Prometheus said:
Pardon me for dropping into your thread to say this Vitel, but it cannot be repeated enough: Do not buy flash media on eBay.

Almost all flash media on eBay is fake, and a number of fakes are starting to be sold for prices resembling genuine retail prices, so as not to set off people's "Too good to be true" alarms.

Note that I'm *not* saying this seller is selling fakes - just that it's wise to avoid flash media on eBay.
Thanks a lot for the note.

Vitel said:
Thanks a lot for the note.
Provantage is reputable and has the Sandisk and Patriot SDHC cards in stock plus they ship internationally. It would cost more than buying from ebay but at least you get what you are buying and not a fake capacity card. You could also go through this list of retailers and find one that ships to where you live.

Hope this helps. :)

I found an ebay seller who was selling 32 gig cards for like 30-40 bucks, the funny thing was they had like 100% positive and a lot of feedback. Have to wonder if people are just dumb and don't try to fill the card or if they are really legit.

cbox said:
I found an ebay seller who was selling 32 gig cards for like 30-40 bucks, the funny thing was they had like 100% positive and a lot of feedback. Have to wonder if people are just dumb and don't try to fill the card or if they are really legit.
30-40 bucks is ok for 6Mbps write speed.

You could wait until the Pandora is released. Who knows how long it will take to get to you, especially if you're not in the first run. SD card prices are falling all the time.

Here is a good example, http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51425-selling-sandisk-32gb-ultra-ii-sd-cards-x2/

i would wait as long as possible for 32mb Sd cards. ebay is no go area after i got an unbranded unusable microsd card from there.
hopefully amazon and play etc have great deals waiting to be had once the pandora gets in our hands :) 512mb card will surfice when i find it :p

Sadly, SD card prices aren't falling all the time, AFAIK. There was a time when flash memory prices were dropping like a rock. But now, there's so much demand for flash memory that the price is stable or even increases for periods of time. These days, good deals on SD cards come up very infrequently, and those deals that do exist are almost never 32GB in capacity.

So it's actually kind of hard to get an unusually discounted price on SD cards these days. Definitely don't fall for something that looks too good to be true on eBay, because it's probably a rip-off. If you look at the offerings of 32GB SD cards now, and add in shipping costs, there is a very limited range between the lowest and the highest price, if the cards are the same class. There are flash cards that are unusually expensive, usually sold by specialty camera and video equipment sites (probably looking for a convenience purchase by someone on an expense account), which should also be avoided.

I've got 2 of these from newegg.com in California USA! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220359&cm_re=sdhc_32gb-_-20-220-359-_-Product I actually bought the first one close to a year ago, and it was actually a few dollars cheaper than it is now. I belive it was 89.00 and with the 10 dollar rebate, it was 79.00 US! Then I bought another one last november in anticipation for the Pandora during Christmas. It was about the same price then! Both of these Patriot cards are black, with a blue sticker on the face. So they won't clash with the pandoras black color. Although I can't say for sure you will get the same color as me. You can wait if you want, but I've been looking at 32GB prices for the last year, and they have been about the same for the last 12 months. Some times lower, some times higher! But a good 32GB sdhc card is around $80-90 dollors US!

Chris

with the higher capacities on the horizon with the super sd cards xdSD (i think its called) i would expect a sharp decline in prices tbh. anything 1gb plus was hugely expensive a few years ago. hope for new tech soon to drive the prices right down :)
2x16GB is always a safer and cheaper option for now.

It's SDXC (Secure Digital whateverXstandsfor Capacity
and I got 3 16gb class 4's for $11 USD per at newegg. It was like $130 then you got a $90 cash card.
That's one for my wii, my 2gig sd card from my wii will now cover ubuntu and some basic apps and one 16GB card for games and media, respectively.

I find it interesting that this ebay seller didn't even bother to post a pic with a manufacturer on the card... it *looks* fake just from the pic... what a lack of effort.

cbox said:

Not everybody has the intention of filling a card up as soon as they get it. Most people are probably buying these cards for high end AV equipment and are doing so in order to AVOID filling it up quickly! It therefore probably takes weeks or months for them to find out that the card is illegit. Far too late to leave negative feedback.

never understood the whole american rebate thing... do you pay more for something initially and get that back by surrendering your address? or is this a genunine money saving way for getting bargins?
if i can get a pair of 16gb cards class 4 or above i shall be more than happy.

ration myself to 8gb of music.
films i watch on my widescreen at home anyway so prolly 0gb
games will be tricky i will need to be very selective :/ i guess the showy off stuff first then just bundle alot of fun games gradually sifting out the rubbish as i go to make room for os and pandora specific apps
got 3 psx games i backed up
scummvm has to be on there
snes over nes as they look prettier
only need one mastersystem game rainbow islands :eek:
mame games are my new experiment... still not sure what the pandora is capable of and what restrictions on games like street fighter alpha 3 with higher graphics are.

Back