Where to buy a SD card with preinstalled Debian for the Pandora?

patrick295767

Hello,

For Sheeva plugs, you can order with the machine Debian on SD. It is about 300 mb, and it eases the installation of Debian.

I would be pleased that DragonBox could ship with the Pandora an SD with Debian preinstalled either

1) with a server install (300mb)

or

2) with a xorg omap fbdev preinstalled (without any WM) (500-600mb max) so that afterswards you can apt-get whatever wm you like.

Where could I buy such an SD?

Looking forward to reading ideas...

Thank you and may the pan be with you, always.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no pre-installed SD cards for sale.The Pandora as it requires a custom kernel and such, so it's generally difficult for a 3rd party source to do this.. Sheeva must offer that service for their own products.. but very few companies offer this service.. most of the time with odd ball embedded devices you would need to compile the kernel yourself.. get the rootfs image from debian and copy the data to the SD card.. It's can be painful. 

However, you have a couple Debian methods on the Pandora that are fairly simple to deal with..

- Pandebian, has a simple PND installer.. This runs within angstrom, but allows you to run anything in debian, can apt-get install anything on the armel repository... This can be updated to current debian releases fairly easy with a config file change. 
- Pandian, basically just download and extract to the SD card.. step by step instructions are in the wiki that I linked. 

There is no pre-installed SD cards for sale.The Pandora as it requires a custom kernel and such, so it's generally difficult for a 3rd party source to do this.. Sheeva must offer that service for their own products.. but very few companies offer this service.. most of the time with odd ball embedded devices you would need to compile the kernel yourself.. get the rootfs image from debian and copy the data to the SD card.. It's can be painful. 

However, you have a couple Debian methods on the Pandora that are fairly simple to deal with..

- Pandebian, has a simple PND installer.. This runs within angstrom, but allows you to run anything in debian, can apt-get install anything on the armel repository... This can be updated to current debian releases fairly easy with a config file change. 

- Pandian, basically just download and extract to the SD card.. step by step instructions are in the wiki that I linked. 
Thank you.

There is a fantastic kernel support today on openpandora site.

On your pandora, you can run:

wget http://openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/omap3-pandora/omap3-pandora-kernel2_3.2-pandora-r18.5_omap3-pandora.ipk
 ar x omap3-pandora-kernel2_3.2-pandora-r18.5_omap3-pandora.ipk
 tar xvpfz data.tar.gz
Then you copy the kernel & module files to your SD (/boot and the lib). You then link it to the autoboot.txt.

This kernel is fairly enough for Stable Debian and Testing Debian. It has mostly all what you need (OTG, USB,...)

I do not see so much the problem regarding the kernel. I saw much more difficult problems with Kernels on older Linux PDA's.

Because of the excellent kernels that we have for the pandora, I believe that it is possible to provide a reliable SD preinstalled Debian for the Pandora.

Well there is a lot more than just the kernel to get an OS working properly on the Pandora.. But that's beside the point.. I doubt there is the demand or need to sell pre-installed images when you can just host an image to download so that the user can extract it to their own SD card. 

Back