Where''s The Keyboard?

danboid

Crikey Nora!

I don't check Pandora for a couple of days, I get back and I see half-speed DC emulation and a video of a nearly fully assembled Pandora! Well, without a keyboard at least. OK, so ED was missing a cable to connect the screen properly but I was so disappointed that there was no warning nor even a mention in the videos blurb that the keyboard was missing too. Where is the keyboard, or when is it expected to arrive?

Is the wiki down too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael has the only keyboard prototype.

The final version, ie mass production keyboard is coming soon.

Rubber is a very difficult material to make prototypes with.

Confirmed: Mass production keyboards expected tomorrow.

;)

'craigix' said:
Michael has the only keyboard prototype.

The final version, ie mass production keyboard is coming soon.

Rubber is a very difficult material to make prototypes with.
How come it grows on (in) trees

;)

Nice to hear everything is really comming together, is end of april still a safe estimation for the first mass produced units ?

It really depends on how we roll out the MP units, we might ask for volunteers, say 200, to take delivery and use them intensely for a couple of weeks to try to find any faults.

It's all in the interests of making this as solid a product as possible.

'craigix' said:
It really depends on how we roll out the MP units, we might ask for volunteers, say 200, to take delivery and use them intensely for a couple of weeks to try to find any faults.

Where are you guys based in the UK/do you have offices?

Thanks for the update Craig! All updates are much appreciated, the more the merrier!

I'm sure you'll make a happy 200. Any idea on how you're gonna do it yet? (i.e. if 1 out of every 10 fails...)

If one in every 10 failed then we would address whatever the issue was before rolling out any more.

Something like that would be similar I guess to the F100 headphone issue, and it's better we deal with 200 rather than 4000.

'Butterman' said:
'craigix' said:

Where are you guys based in the UK/do you have offices?

Newcastle.

'craigix' said:

So are you guys are going to keep fixing up hardware issues on the boards for newer shipments (like the 360 boards) as issues come along or are you going to just fix any/all issues at once later on in the lifespan and release an updated version of the Pandora like the new PSP models. Maybe it'll be a combination?

Maybe I'm just thinking too far ahead and you guys haven't gotten that far and are just working on the issues at hand.

Those keyboards should be FREE for openpandora! Free energy! Global conspiracy! NWO!!!!! RON PAUL 09!

'bustaballs' said:
'craigix' said:

So are you guys are going to keep fixing up hardware issues on the boards for newer shipments (like the 360 boards) as issues come along or are you going to just fix any/all issues at once later on in the lifespan and release an updated version of the Pandora like the new PSP models. Maybe it'll be a combination?

Maybe I'm just thinking too far ahead and you guys haven't gotten that far and are just working on the issues at hand.

Well the idea is that those ~200 would show up any issues which may exist, we fix those, then we churn out the next 3800 which should then be as error free as possible.

This is just the safest route I think, for the sake of 2 weeks with 200 in the field we can stop a llot of potential headaches later on.

It would be a lot faster to send out 200 units to 200 people then testing 200 on a small group. I'm all for that, I'm holding out for batch 2 anyway so you can fix additional problems :)

'craigix' said:
I hope I'm understanding this right... Would the volunteers be taking early delivery of their own units (as opposed to some sort of "demo model" that would have to be sent back), to try to find issues? Assuming I've read that right, would I also be right in guessing that if any (non-software) problems arose, fixed units would be sent out to replace the problematic ones?

If so, and if you do go ahead with this volunteer scheme, I'd like to put my name forward also. :p

My question is, if we partake in the 200 testing batch, will you give us updated and fixed pandoras when we're done? (assuming we paid of course, no freebees!)

I've not preordered (waiting for batch 2 as I've said) but if I had a Pandora right now I'd be writing and drawing stuff on it and learn how to program C++ (already started on that) and use SDL to develop a puzzle game. While working I'd be listening to MP3s as well. I'd be watching anime a lot and playing both PSX and SNES games. I wouldn't be surprised if I was charging it at least 5 times a week, I'm not working full time so I got plenty of time over. I'd use it as a replacement for my laptop and I barely use my stationary computer these days. If that would be useful for stress testing I'd be happy to help, I could pay for one right now.

Back