Which D-pad To Use For Mod?

Ranma13

Hello all, I'm trying my hand at modifying my GP2X with a D-pad, but I need some advice. Which D-pad from which game controller should I use? It needs to be something that has points to which I can solder wires to and can also fit in the GP2X. I saw that someone modified their console with a N64 D-pad, but are there any other viable options? I was looking at the Retrocon but I don't want to buy it and find out that it uses a sheet-like membrane for inputs, like the official PS2 controllers do.

I heard the NES one fits well..

and this one:

02.jpg

N-GAGE QD

Hello all, I'm trying my hand at modifying my GP2X with a D-pad, but I need some advice. Which D-pad from which game controller should I use? It needs to be something that has points to which I can solder wires to and can also fit in the GP2X. I saw that someone modified their console with a N64 D-pad, but are there any other viable options? I was looking at the Retrocon but I don't want to buy it and find out that it uses a sheet-like membrane for inputs, like the official PS2 controllers do.

I think EvilDragon has my d-pad mod kit that is already set up for modding. Just remove old stick and solder in the pad module and then cut the hole to size using the included template.

I don't know if he has any left or if they are all sold yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF EvilDragon still might have the kit, I'll hold off buying anything until I get a reply from him.

I think EvilDragon has my d-pad mod kit that is already set up for modding. Just remove old stick and solder in the pad module and then cut the hole to size using the included template.

I don't know if he has any left or if they are all sold yet.

would you or anyone you know be willing to perform the mod yourself? I would obviously supply the gp2x, pay for the mod and labour and I wouldn't hold you responsible should anything go wrong! Interested?

He got some in 2 days ago as I sent them there. Maybe those are gone already?
Ah.. I sent him a pm last week, so they must be the ones he was on about :)

EDIT: Cheers DaveC, looks like a great mod & I'm looking forward to trying it out :D

Damn, I might need to get this aswell. Freaking CPS2 VS games are absolutely destroying my stock joystick. And of course, a d-pad would be awesome

DaveC's joypad mod is sweet! It gets the Reesy seal of approval ;)

EDIT: I'll take a picture later if I get a chance.

EDIT: Here you go, apologies for the quality, I can never seem to do closeups with my camera. But at least this gives you an idea of what the mod looks like.

gp2x.jpg

gp2x_close.jpg

DaveC's joypad mod is sweet! It gets the Reesy seal of approval ;)

EDIT: I'll take a picture later if I get a chance.
Rawr! Stop making me jealous :E. Guess I'll hold off until EvilDragon can mass produce them then. For now though, my GP2X will just have to sit in pieces on my table...it's too much of a pain to put it back together just to take it apart again.

Damn.. that looks proffessional.
Cheers for the pics Reesy :)

Yeah I'd like to take credit for the workmanship but I actually swapped my MK2 for DaveC's modded MK1. So the mod was done by DaveC and he did a bloody great job. You simply wouldn't know that the joypad was not an original feature.

The mod itself is very robust, I've been hammering my GP2X playing Battle Squadron for many (MANY) hours now and I've not had a single problem where a key press was missed (unlike the original joystick). And of course since its a joypad there is no delay in registering a press, so I now feel in total control when playing games whereas using the original joystick I often felt like I was waiting for the GP2X to keep up with me.

The only problem with the mod is the lack of a stick push function, which some software requires. I believe DaveC's mod can be added to by using a logic board which translates a push of all 4 directions at the same time as a stick push. Not sure if these logic boards are being produced though. All of the software I use is unaffected by this problem so it doesn't bother me at all, but it could be a issue for other people.

Later
Reesy ( a satisfied DaveC customer :) )

could you not add an extra button above / or below the d-pad ,so that it would function as the click stick button?...its the only thing stopping me getting a d-pad fitted..

i cant spell lol

Actually a stick click button could be added just by getting a momentary spst button and soldering 2 wires to the board. If you got the mod you could always add the separate button where you like.

You wouldn't need the logic chip that way, if the button was separate.

Think it would be possible to do a joypad mod with the Sega Saturn joypad? cos in my mind that has the greatest d-pad ever!

How can I get a couple of those DaveC modded D-pads?? Should I contact EvilDragon?

I'm from Spain :)

Back