Which Desktop Environment / Window Manager Do You Use ?

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

I'm using Gnome 2.22.3 (with Metacity) at the moment, but with the next Debian stable version "Lenny" coming out soon, I'd like to try something different for a change :)

I'm hesitating between GNOME 2.30, LXDE or maybe some minimalist WM...

What do you guys use ?

Bye and thanks !

Magic Sam

I'm using Windows 7 on my Desktop, and Ubuntu Netbook Launcher on my Netbook, though I'll porbably swap that to XP when I can be bothered.

Hi,

I should have specified this thread is mainly for *nix users, who can decide on which DE / WM they use, if any...

What's the name of the Ubuntu Netbook Launcher DE / WM btw ?

Thanks for your input anyway :)

Bye, Magic Sam

I'm just using the standard Gnome/Ubuntu 10.10 setup on desktop and netbook. I would switch to LXDE but rabbitVCS only works for Thunar and nautilus and only shows the SVN status symbols in nautilus.

klikklak said:
KDE4.5 on Archlinux here. And it's sweeeeettt :D
How heavy is KDE 4.5 on the system ? I have bad memories from KDE, but it was a long time ago (in the 90's-early 2000's), maybe I should try it again... I really didn't like the Windows-like look, and the programs all starting by a K :p

Bye, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a decent computer, with 2gb+ of memory you should be fine. It's definitely not meant to be mean and lean, but I prefer to actually use all that fancy computer equipment I've got under the table, if you understand :) This is a e5200 OC'
d at 3.3ghz (it's a bit snappier this way then at stock 2.5ghz) with 6gb of memory. Earlier versions of KDE4 had some issues, but 4.5 in particular has been really fast and responsive. I haven't tried with anything more limited, like a laptop or an old box, but I'll be getting a Pandaboard sometime in the future and I plan to run kde on it. Well, I'm hoping I'll be able to do it. :)

klikklak said:
If you have a decent computer, with 2gb+ of memory you should be fine. It's definitely not meant to be mean and lean, but I prefer to actually use all that fancy computer equipment I've got under the table, if you understand :) This is a e5200 OC'
d at 3.3ghz (it's a bit snappier this way then at stock 2.5ghz) with 6gb of memory. Earlier versions of KDE4 had some issues, but 4.5 in particular has been really fast and responsive. I haven't tried with anything more limited, like a laptop or an old box, but I'll be getting a Pandaboard sometime in the future and I plan to run kde on it. Well, I'm hoping I'll be able to do it. :)
I have a laptop with a T9300 @ 2,5GHz, 4gb of RAM, and an NVidia 8800M GTX, so I think it could cope with KDE, though I think it's a bit "overkill", isn't it ? IIRC, the computer onboard the Apollo missions to the Moon clocked under ~10MHz :eek: Now look at the hardware requirements for a "simple" Desktop Environment ! It's just too much IMHO...

gp32x.de being a geeks' nest, I thought there would have been more posts about obscure, unknown, minimalist WMs like awesome and the like...

Don't disappoint me guys ;)

Bye, Magic Sam

I'm using Gentoo with XFCE on a P4 2.0GHz with 1GB RAM and nVidia 6200. It's a little underkill, but not too bad. Every once in a while, I think about emerging Gnome, but that would probably be a whole bunch more packages to maintain.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit at home and in the office. On my old laptop i got some windows xp running.

I've used ion3 and xmonad extensively of the tiled WM's. Both are pretty good, go ahead and try xmonad, it's DE compatible too. (you can run gnome/kde/xfce while you manage windows with xmonad)

As for overkill, sure, maybe gigahertz range demands for a desktop environment is too much. But generally I don't see the point in complaining about things like this, unless you're travelling backwards in time. :p

Archlinux with XFCE (=XFWM4)... Back when I had time to mess with things I used to run Gentoo & fluxbox...

At the moment, XFCE on a minimal Debian Squeeze install with a Liquorix kernel.

As soon as my (more Linux friendly) wifi card arrives from the land of Chinese food, it'll be a fresh install using LXDE.

@ crow_riot:
Magic Sam said:
Hi,

I should have specified this thread is mainly for *nix users, who can decide on which DE / WM they use, if any...

Thanks for your input anyway :)
Gerix said:
I'm using Gentoo with XFCE on a P4 2.0GHz with 1GB RAM and nVidia 6200. It's a little underkill, but not too bad. Every once in a while, I think about emerging Gnome, but that would probably be a whole bunch more packages to maintain.
How is XFCE nowadays ? Last time I tried it (years ago on Ubuntu), I've been surprised by how little the speed improvements were compared to Gnome :( Is it any different now ?

klikklak said:
I've used ion3 and xmonad extensively of the tiled WM's. Both are pretty good, go ahead and try xmonad, it's DE compatible too. (you can run gnome/kde/xfce while you manage windows with xmonad)
Thanks, I'll try these WM's :)
urjaman said:
Archlinux with XFCE (=XFWM4)... Back when I had time to mess with things I used to run Gentoo & fluxbox...
Thanks, I'll give fluxbox a go :)
Bye, Magic Sam

Gnome Ubuntu 10.04 on my PC, Dual boot with Windows 7 Ultimate and Kubuntu 10.04 on my netbook. Once my Laptop gets fixed I think I'll dual boot Kubuntu and Windows 7

Magic Sam said:
Hi,

I am a Windows & Linux user. And I the DE / WM I choose is Windows 7. Sorry

What's the name of the Ubuntu Netbook Launcher DE / WM btw ?

No idea, sorry.

I use gnome. Lots of people run KDE but it's not for me. When I started out with linux I first ran SUSE 6 and I hated KDE as it was cluttered and slow. It's gotten better now and you can tweak it to start faster if you don't want any of the fancy crap anyway. Fluxbox is awesome. I never got into it that much because you need time to set everything up. But that is my second choice right after gnome.

Pleng said:
I am a Windows & Linux user. And I the DE / WM I choose is Windows 7. Sorry
If you insist on telling us about Windows 7, a valid, on topic answer would have been: "I'm using DWM / Aero" with Windows 7, or something like that...
Do Windows users have any choice when it comes to DE / WM anyway ? It's a true question, maybe they have the choice, I really don't know...
The goal of this thread is to speak about available DE / WMs, it's not about the OS you use...
On topic: as a Linux user, what's your favourite DE / WM ?
Bye, Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
Do Windows users have any choice when it comes to DE / WM anyway ? It's a true question, maybe they have the choice, I really don't know...
Absolutely. They're called "shells". Do a search for "alternate shells for Vista" and you'll get a few. Used to be fairly common for Win3.1, less so for Win95 and 98 and onward as the standard interface got more advanced.

Blackbox (Fluxbox is fork of Blackbox for *nix) for windows comes to mind: http://www.bb4win.org
(Note: There are several different blackbox for windows shells there, I've tested only BBLean a "long" time ago, so I was running w2k or XP back then.)

Back