Which Device(S) Do You Use And How Often?

How often do you use your GP2X series handheld?

• Total voters

HamishTPB

Hi all

I am keen to work out which devices on the GP2X (and Pandora) platform are still being used by people. I know the Pandora is not GPH but it is relevant as well to me as I use GLBasic as my development system.

The reason I ask is that I finally find myself with the time to start writing games and since I am a keen user of these devices I would like to make stuff that is aimed at the GP2X series. I don't want to bother with features that no-one would use or that only apply to specific devices but I don't want to assume that people only use the same device(s) and software as me.

I hope that all makes sense and please let me know what sort of thing you would play if it was available. This doesn't mean I am taking requests :p though!

I already have a couple of plans and one game underway, but it would be good to know what people like. :)

Thank you!

HOW OFTEN... I voted weekly here, which is more or less right.
A better answer is that it depends, if I´m travelling, or if there is a new game, then I sure spend more time with it. 

Yeah - this poll was never going to be 100% scientific but I wanted to get some feel for what people were doing with their GPH/Pandora kit. I use my GP2X every day at the moment but it is likely to take a back door once I get my caanoo working again :wub:
I have loads of game ideas (including the RPG one you know about from GLB forum already, Erico) but there is no point in working on stuff that no-one wants :p

The poll asks specifically about GP2X series usage and that's very limited for me nowadays despite owning F100,F200,Wiz and Caanoo, however I use my Pandora every single day.

I don't have as much time to dev as I used to so I'm having to think carefully about the machines I code for. Seeing as the userbase and number of downloads for the GP2X series (etc.) are fairly low, my priority is no longer for them. It's a shame, as I really enjoy all those machines - especially the Caanoo. I haven't totally given up supporting them, but my releases will be fewer and further between. :(

I voted weekly as well, although I'm using my Caanoo more like two or three times a week.
I don't want to demotivate you, but if you expect more than 20-30 downloads of a game for a GPH device, you are probably 3 or 4 years too late. :(
I don't have any statistics, but I guess even very polished games like SQRXZ 4 didn't get much attention here.

The Pandora might be a different story, as the scene is still much more active.

OK - thanks for that information. It pays to ask! :) Looks like despite the love I still give my GP2X series that the Pandora and upcoming Pyra are more fertile grounds for getting players. I suppose I should have added - do you play GP2X stuff via ginge on your Pandora (I think this exists!?).

I imagine that android, although I consider it inferior as a gaming platform, is still a good target too but more hassle than the completely open platforms :mellow:

Thanks again chaps for your input!

Edit: It seems rather strange to me when I think about it - this platform is open so there is no reason for an "end of life" except when the hardware dies but I suppose a lot of people want the latest thing no matter how functional and useable the existing gear.

Unfortunately the existing gear (ie GP2X et al) are actually dying or not as practical to use as the more modern tech. Breakdowns and battery performance of the early machines is a real big issue. Production values of the F100 were very poor. F200 improved this somewhat, but battery life issues still dog the GP2X machines. Wiz and Caanoo batteries are much better as are theit build quality, but the number of machines out there is limited. The Wiz is still quite fragile screenwise and pixel creep (death of the OLED) is affecting more and more of them.

At least the Caanoo should have a longer life-span :)

Yes, I still think the Caanoo is has enough power and quality to last a while yet and there is the Pandora and the upcoming Pyra. I have no direct experience of the Wiz though. The GP2X does eat power, that's true, I am charging a couple of sets of batteries every day.

The more platforms you support the more people will play your games :) The GPH handhelds all have the same screen resolution and controls, and 320x240 doubled to 640x480 looks good on Pandora's screen, too.

It seems rather strange to me when I think about it - this platform is open so there is no reason for an "end of life" except when the hardware dies but I suppose a lot of people want the latest thing no matter how functional and useable the existing gear.

I guess a lot of those people (if they are still into handheld gaming) are using an android device like the JXD S7800B, Nvidia Shield, etc. nowadays. The emulators run faster and you get zillions of games for them, even famous brands or Humble Bundles. Android might be inferior to GPH devices for a dev, but it has its advantages for a user.

As I said, I still use my Caanoo quite often and I'm very happy with it.

alxm said:
The more platforms you support the more people will play your games :) The GPH handhelds all have the same screen resolution and controls, and 320x240 doubled to 640x480 looks good on Pandora's screen, too.
Yes this is true, I am using GLBasic and plan to at least cater to Android as well as the GP2X series and Pandora.

Akabei said:

I guess a lot of those people (if they are still into handheld gaming) are using an android device like the JXD S7800B, Nvidia Shield, etc. nowadays. The emulators run faster and you get zillions of games for them, even famous brands or Humble Bundles. Android might be inferior to GPH devices for a dev, but it has its advantages for a user.

As I said, I still use my Caanoo quite often and I'm very happy with it.
Yes, I suppose users also feel more comfortable with what they think is more mainstream and their friends have (Android, on the face of it at least, does look like a single platform to the end-user). Do the android devices with physical controls have a consistent setup and layout?

The best idea is to take into account as many platforms as possible and support whichever ones generate feedback. :)

EDIT: Took a look at the JXD consoles and I can see their appeal to users but the controls don't look as nice the GPH/Pandora ones. Maybe they feel better than they look though :p P.S. I have big hands, and I am one of the minority who liked the Jaguar controllers. ;)

Between this topic and a rather gloomy chat on IRC about GLB and GLB desktop linux issues I am not sure what I am going to do now. I started out looking at PyGame then found GLB and jumped on it because of the wide platform support including the GP2X series but then ended up not having the time to work on my game ideas. Now I have the time but I am not sure there is really an easy cross-platform solution. Perhaps I will have to just learn each platform's preferred dev kit in a realistic world.

EDIT: Back on topic a bit - what are the preferred dev kits for Android, GP2X and Pandora?
EDIT2: A quick look at the Pandora site seems to indicate C/C++ for that.

What I can tell you is from my own experience.

Use GLB to dev for gp2x/caanoo, is a single click with attention to a few limitations, specially alpha fades, which I don´t much care (too old school for transparencies on my pixels).
They work greatly just out of the box and make those consoles gold worth.

If it works on the likes of a Caanoo, it works on Android and Ios. That is good, but those have crap controls and you have to deal with resolution fit and on screen controls.
Of course it is all working mac/linux/pc to boot.

To support open platform is not about reaching quantities but maybe quality? Lots of great people use them, people your are more kin to get quality feedbak maybe?
Hard to tell, I like those gadgets, and will do my best to hold to them (since I own one :D

I am not sure there is really an easy cross-platform solution.
GLB is THE perfect solution for cross-compatibility. It offers more formats than pretty much any other BASIC (and other) style coding language.

If you want to hit the masses then consider Android or iOS development. If you want to hit the few but passionate users then head for open consoles like GP2X, Wiz, Caanoo and Pandora. Don't forget there's also OUYA and GameStick if you want really niche products!

Just develop your game first for pc, get used to the language then think about other formats.

Thanks guys, as I said on the GLB forum I was led astray somewhat from my original intentions. That and being a grumpy old PolarBear. I *want* to make stuff for the handhelds so why not?

EDIT: Not having a computer shop any more means not having virtually unlimited upgrades and spare parts. Back after computer breakdowns and salvage and rebuild operations.

Right now I have:
- GP32 FLU and BLU
- GP2X F100
- GP2X F200
- GP2X F300 voca master (Ha Ha)
- Dingoo A320
- GPH Wiz (faulty screen)
- GPH Caanoo
- Open Pandora Rebirth
- GCW Zero
Also
- Gizmondo
- Zodiac Tapwave
- Other weird stuff I haven't got the time to use (Ben Nanonote, Raspberry Pi, Game Gadget, Ouya)

I actually play with the GCW0 most of the time, and recently I was playing with the F300 voca master, but that's why it came with a lot of roms I didn't have for CPS2 and Mame and I didn't took the effort to just transfer them to the GCW0 yet.
Before the GCW0, I was playing a lot with the Caanoo (I really love it). And at some point recently I played a little with GP32 just because of nostalgia. Gizmondo and Tapwave just tried them once but left them, I just wanted them for collection and out of curiosity becasue I had never seen these systems on their times. Surprisingly I don't play with Pandora a lot only the few first times the very good PS1 emulator. It's just that what I wanted to play (emuls of 16bits) were already there in Caanoo (only better SNES emulator on GCW0) and I had these things for collection and also in case I want to port something I did for GP2X, or if I code something new on GCW0 and decide it's a good idea to port it to Pandora.

I am planning to code at least for GCW0 and GP32 at some point. GCW0 because it's the latest good machine with a community and I want to see it doing well. And I miss seeing some new homeberw, besides ports of already existing ones. GP32 because I am still nostalgic about this, remember how I had to optimize the code and especially fit things for 8MBs, that really felt like a fast 486 without FPU (but with much faster integer MUL) where you have to still be careful with memory. And that weird vertical videoram. At least this was unique. Column rendering for wolfenstein engine or voxel landscape would match nicely this.
I am also thinking whether I should try coding something new on my Caanoo. What I've missed is using the GPU. Most of the stuff released didn't and this machine had a GPU but almost nobody used it. It feels like something has not been tested enough, I would like to see what is capable to do.

Back