Which Pyra model do you plan to get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? (Poll)

Do you plan to get the 3G model or WiFi only model?

• 3G model

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • WiFi model (no 3G/4G)

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Stick to WiFi unless a 4G model is announced

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Wait for a possible 4G model

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Wait for possible Pyra upgrades

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • No Pyra for me

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

Majin Wamu

Powered by Pixels
Hello everyone! I am just curious to see how many people plan to get their Pyra with built in 3G and how many plan to just get their with Wi-Fi only. I like statistics a lot and I enjoy watching numbers fluctuate over time. So give a honest vote and together let's see which model is more preferable at the moment. 

Real quick just to explain a couple of the choices (though it maybe common sense I just want to make sure of something). The "waiting" options, except for the one that says sticking to Wi-Fi, means you don't plan to buy your Pyra as soon as it is out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as the 3G isn't compatible with my carrier I have no choice. Or rather, I have the choice of wifi or paying-way-too-much-for-3g. I'm better off sticking to wifi and tethering to my phone.

If the 4G module shows up sooner rather I'm jumping on that, however.

Seeing as the 3G isn't compatible with my carrier I have no choice. Or rather, I have the choice of wifi or paying-way-too-much-for-3g. I'm better off sticking to wifi and tethering to my phone.

If the 4G module shows up sooner rather I'm jumping on that, however.
oh good point. Should I add "or wait for the possible 4G model" ? That might be a good idea. What do you think?

Wi-Fi only model here, the reason is I wouldn't use the 3G connection enough to justify spending the extra money on a 3G Pyra.

oh good point. Should I add "or wait for the possible 4G model" ? That might be a good idea. What do you think?
Changed my vote :) To get really accurate you'd need things like "buy wifi unless it looks like the 4G is coming soon" or "wait unless there's a good upgrade path to 4G", but if you include all the possible things people might want to do you'd have a lot of entries and not a lot of useful information.

Just put the things that you think would be most useful and trust people to pick the one that is closest. It's all for fun anyway, right? :)

Changed my vote :)
To get really accurate you'd need things like "buy wifi unless it looks like the 4G is coming soon" or "wait unless there's a good upgrade path to 4G", but if you include all the possible things people might want to do you'd have a lot of entries and not a lot of useful information.

Just put the things that you think would be most useful and trust people to pick the one that is closest. It's all for fun anyway, right? :)
Yes it is all for good fun and because I like numbers I guess haha. alright I will add those too. This is my first poll so it is a learning experience. Those are some good ideas. Good thing I am getting these suggestions early on so that we have some more accurate votes. I bet I make the mods go crazy with all my editing haha.

To get really accurate you'd need things like "buy wifi unless it looks like the 4G is coming soon" or "wait unless there's a good upgrade path to 4G", but if you include all the possible things people might want to do you'd have a lot of entries and not a lot of useful information. Just put the things that you think would be most useful and trust people to pick the one that is closest. It's all for fun anyway, right? :)
I added "I'm going to wait after Pyra gets some upgrades" do you think that sounds like a appropriate addition? I couldn't make up my mind.

Wi-Fi only model here, the reason is I wouldn't use the 3G connection enough to justify spending the extra money on a 3G Pyra.
Are you interested in waiting for a 4G model?

I think I'll go with the Wizard. Wifi until 4G is good. In the mean time, I hope more busses and trains get Wifi. 

No, because by the time that the town where I live gets 4G I will more than likely be dead so i'll never get to use it. :)
haha aww that is somewhat sad and yet somewhat funny too. Sorry I don't mean to laugh but yeah wifi is probably the best way to go. Even though I will get a 3G/4G model I plan to never really use it. I just plan to get it just to have it I guess. Also mainly because it has 3G/4G and WiFi so if I do plan to pay for a data plan one day, I can access the internet at anytime. I absolutely can't stand going online on a phone, it's just too small and sometime it can be really annoying to navigate.

3G would be handy for those crazy Ptitseb ports that come out when i'm on the road haha.

Implying Ptitseb gets a Pyra

Personally, If there was a choice (not considering price) between plain WiFi connectivity and 3G/4G, I would choose 3G/4G if only for the wider spectrum of use cases.  However, price counts.  If the WiFi version (assuming there is such a thing) is cheaper, I'll take that. 

I do have one question though; weren't we just having the '3G' model, or were there always plans for multiple versions?

-Glyph Reader

Personally, If there was a choice (not considering price) between plain WiFi connectivity and 3G/4G, I would choose 3G/4G if only for the wider spectrum of use cases.  However, price counts.  If the WiFi version (assuming there is such a thing) is cheaper, I'll take that. 

I do have one question though; weren't we just having the '3G' model, or were there always plans for multiple versions?

-Glyph Reader
It was mentioned in the future it may be possible. But from what I remember we don't have a 4G model because of size (it wouldn't fit on the board) and price. Then again, this is what I remember. Someone may be able to give a more complete answer :)

4G has a larger antenna and the chip costs twice as much. The 4G chip is 100% pin compatible with the 3G chip and they've apparently left enough space for the larger antenna so it should just be a matter of dropping the new chip and antenna in place, but there are minimum volumes to be considered and ED probably doesn't want to take the chance of having 500 4G chips he can't use. (or however many it actually is)

Are you positive of the reason for no 4G being that it does not fit? I don't remember hearing that. If so I am very disheartened since I think 4G is the only one I would be able to use in my area :(

I guess this is a hypothetical question because we don't even know when the Pyra will come out nor do we know the final specs yet. 

Anyway: Wifi, because if I need 4G anyway I use my phone to tether to the Pandora/Pyra. There's really no point for me to get a SECOND 3g/4g subscription just for the Pyra, it would be wasting so much money on a monthly basis. 

I guess this is a hypothetical question because we don't even know when the Pyra will come out nor do we know the final specs yet.
Yep :) just for fun. Well it is basically asking if you do plan to get a Pyra which version would you get. Maybe I should had made that more clear. It seems like most people are leaning towards WiFi. That might be the smarter choice because the Pyra alone is going to be pretty pricy.

If a 4G option is available that is what I will go with, even if I have to save a little first.  I will get 3G if I can use it here.  Do we even know if carriers will let us use a Pyra on their networks?  I don't usually use mobile fones for talking, so a Pyra with the ability for me to get text messages and such would be great, with the added benefit of not waiting until I have wifi if I need to check something quickly.

If a 4G option is available that is what I will go with, even if I have to save a little first. I will get 3G if I can use it here. Do we even know if carriers will let us use a Pyra on their networks? I don't usually use mobile fones for talking, so a Pyra with the ability for me to get text messages and such would be great, with the added benefit of not waiting until I have wifi if I need to check something quickly.
I'm pretty sure ED has that figured out. I was told most likely AT&T.

Note that the PS Vita also had the two offerings and only the Wifi model sold well.
I'm one of the only idiots who got the 3G model. I don't know why I did it because my Vita just sits in its original box and has been untouched for over a year now. Uncharted was cool and the few PS1 games that America got were fun but that's were the fun stopped for me. I got a PSN account so I can get free games but none of them really stuck out to me and I never finished them :( I might sell it real soon with the box and everything.

Back