Which Should I Get While Waiting For The Pandora

Personally, I'd get a player that has SDHC support, the 2 gig limit is a killer, I don't know why they don't spring for the extra few cents to make it HC compatible. I recently got a 4 gig Insignia mp3 player that supports SDHC so I can build a good 16 gig card and have it ready for when I have the Pandora. I also picked up a smaller SanDisk player, and while it's more compact and easier to carry it does not support SDHC unless I use RockBox.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the question that needs to be asked is what are your requirements?

Neither one is going to be perfect for play videos without re-encoding them, to solar powered on clearly plays more games and probably has a better grip being larger. while the other one is almost a 3rd the price. but only has one emulator.

Chinavasion. That thing looks like you are getting ripped off at 30 EUR.

Maybe 20$ USD is a fair price for that junk. On second thought, I don't think that junk is worth anything. That place has the junkiest junk that ever junked.

I'd check out this site: mp4nation.net

They have some of the newer players with better CPU's, some of their players support as many as 4 or so different retro systems. For example, the Gemei x760 supports: EMULATION: GBA, GBC, GC, Neo Geo, CPS1, 3D Games by Gemei and also has SDHC support

Actually looking at it now, they only have the x760+ which uses a different chipset than the x760. The SmartQ looks like the only one using that Blackfin chipset that they carry right now, the SmartQ supports NES, SNES, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advanced and Neo Geo Emulator and also SDHC

The cheap MP3 players are just that, they are cheap.

You can get the smartq t5-ii le for £100. It's canny, very comftable to hold for a long time. Snes, nes and gba are all pretty solid. I'd say it was worth £50 if you can get one second hand.

'cbox' said:
SmartQ supports NES, SNES, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advanced and Neo Geo Emulator and also SDHC
No gameboy classic or colour, the megadrive emulator has no sound or is unplayable with sound, can't remember which :D The neo geo emulator is pretty much useless, it requires you to convert your roms to it's own special format with a piece of software and very few work.

I almost bought the gamei 760+ but the controlls are total ass for gaming. there are only the four face buttons and you have to combo press for a shoulder button frankly the dingoo player is probably better than the gamei despite it's tiny size.

to be honest you're probably better off saving your money for SDHC cards. I'm not sure about MP4 nation but I tryied buying from MP4 global which looks suspciously like the same company and I ended up waiting for a month for them to send me my MP4 player which by the time it actually reached me had dropped in price by like 20 bucks.

'clippa' said:
'cbox' said:
SmartQ supports NES, SNES, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advanced and Neo Geo Emulator and also SDHC
No gameboy classic or colour, the megadrive emulator has no sound or is unplayable with sound, can't remember which :D The neo geo emulator is pretty much useless, it requires you to convert your roms to it's own special format with a piece of software and very few work.

I always wondered about the neogeo file format that the mp4 players use. I heard that most of the mp4 players that support emulators use ports of open source emulators that are compiled for that mp4 player. SO what emulator are they using and why do they use that format? Does it use that format for memory management purposes? NeoGeo games are unnecessarily large, does the format allow for a type of streaming or banking in levels as needed or something along those lines? And it also seems weird that they can play neo geo games at full speed, but not Genesis which is similar to the neo geo and not as powerful.

Chris

I hope those questions weren't aimed at me chris :blink:

Both look like a total waste of money, something that would maybe briefly entertain an 8 year old.

Also, this topic has nothing to do with the Pandora. Reported.

What would you like to talk about instead, fishbong? I'm easy.

get a gizmondo or dingo a320 i got both well i just got a gizmondo for £50 waiting for it now..................

Most low-cost chinese mp4 players have interesting hardware (though low build quality) but really bad software...

You could get a Zipit Z2 and hack it. At least you'll have decent software. It runs linux, has WiFi, and a MiniSD slot.
Now they cost only 50$ 'cause they're supposed to be locked so you have to use their 10$/month service plan; so you'll have to check if the new ones aren't locked against installing home-brewn firmware. actually hacking is officially encouraged, and they have some things hosted on a half-hidden part of their website: linux.zipitwireless.com

Back