Which Version Of Another World Will You Run?

QBJECT

Still Fresh
Website
identi.ca
I managed to miss Another World/Out of This World completely the first time around, and I don't have the hardware to run the remaster. Does anyone have thoughts on which release will run best on the Pandora in its respective emulator?

Edit: Completely?

ports of the original pc version of the game have popped up (i have it on my xbox) hopefully on the OP eventually. it has a longer opening cut scene and a higher frame rate, but only uses one button. the super nintendo version comes in second, it has all the cut scenes but with less frames, and more buttons to do the different actions. the sega version omitted some cut scenes, stay away from it. all play essentially the same.

Amiga!
(IIRC it was developed on it first, then ported on the other platforms)

WhiteFalcon said:
Definitely Sega CD (if emulated) as it was bundled with a sequel called Heart of the Alien.
Included a cool atmospherical soundtrack too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_the_Alien

Or a port of that. If you like Another World, you will not want to miss the sequel :)

Seems like there is an open source rewrite of the engine available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sources for the "Heart of the Alien" (sequel) player are available here:

http://hota.sourceforge.net/

Already ported to GP32, so maybe its just a matter of doing a quick port for Pandora, and finding the data files somewhere ..

torpor said:
Sources for the "Heart of the Alien" (sequel) player are available here:

http://hota.sourceforge.net/

Already ported to GP32, so maybe its just a matter of doing a quick port for Pandora, and finding the data files somewhere ..

True, I thought I had played it on the GP32 or GP2X natively.
The rewrite seemed pretty good.

WhiteFalcon said:
Definitely Sega CD (if emulated) as it was bundled with a sequel called Heart of the Alien.
Included a cool atmospherical soundtrack too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_the_Alien

Or a port of that. If you like Another World, you will not want to miss the sequel :)

Thank you very much for this mate! Out of this world/Another world is one of my all time favourite games!

Never even new this existed just downloaded it and am definitely playing this weekend!

I got the CD32 Version as couldn't see a port for GP2X

Amiga is the best version (I've played them all, even that atari 8 bit version). The sequal is worth playing, but it's a bit hard, unlike Another World, which I completed in an allnight sitting when I got it. I fell asleep next day in my history class and the boring teacher banned from her class telling me I was useless, I got an A+ in the Higher exam just to spite the bitch.

mvickers03 said:
Thank you very much for this mate! Out of this world/Another world is one of my all time favourite games!

Never even new this existed just downloaded it and am definitely playing this weekend!

I got the CD32 Version as couldn't see a port for GP2X

I was quite eager to play it too when I found out about the sequel :)

A bit off-topic:

Actually what similar 2D games (platform/adventure) do you all know and recommend? And which of them will probably be playable on Pandora?

These come to my mind now:

Abe's Oddysee (and Exoddus) - my favorite, my hopes rise to the PSX version
Flashback - bet this one will work even in more emulators (SNES, Genesis, Amiga, maybe even DosBox..)
Blackthorne - SNES, DOS...
Heart of Darkness - DOS, a rewrite is in progress so it might get ported when finished (I tried porting the unfinished rewrite to the GP2X with no luck :( Maybe someone more experienced at porting...)
Metal Mutant - Amiga, DOS, Atari ST so mostly probable
Prince of Persia - yes, this can be counted but then there are so many

Bermuda Syndrome - Windows so no chance

The segacd version was my fav ,it also has the rare sequel heart of the alien ! great sound quality as well.

The best version is the most recent one for the PC: "Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition". It's basically a mix of all the good things from all different versions, added with high-resolution textures and some fine-tuning here and there in all other departments.

However, you can't play this on an emulator, and there is no stand-alone version for the GP2X yet.

This game is one of my all-time favorites and it just blows my mind how ONE single person could have coded all this stuff.

http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/index.htm

WhiteFalcon said:
I was quite eager to play it too when I found out about the sequel :)

A bit off-topic:

Actually what similar 2D games (platform/adventure) do you all know and recommend? And which of them will probably be playable on Pandora?

These come to my mind now:

Abe's Oddysee (and Exoddus) - my favorite, my hopes rise to the PSX version
Flashback - bet this one will work even in more emulators (SNES, Genesis, Amiga, maybe even DosBox..)
Blackthorne - SNES, DOS...
Heart of Darkness - DOS, a rewrite is in progress so it might get ported when finished (I tried porting the unfinished rewrite to the GP2X with no luck :( Maybe someone more experienced at porting...)
Metal Mutant - Amiga, DOS, Atari ST so mostly probable
Prince of Persia - yes, this can be counted but then there are so many

Bermuda Syndrome - Windows so no chance
CastleVania Symphony of the Night - my favorite, PSX
Mario All Stars - SNES
Most of SCUMMVM games (not platform, but point & click adventures)
Dune - Amiga (adventure/strategy)
Zool - Amiga

About flashback, I think someone will port REminiscence (if that's not already done) on pandora.

KodeIn said:
CastleVania Symphony of the Night - my favorite, PSX
Mario All Stars - SNES
Most of SCUMMVM games (not platform, but point & click adventures)
Dune - Amiga (adventure/strategy)
Zool - Amiga

About flashback, I think someone will port REminiscence (if that's not already done) on pandora.

Well these are all nice, but except for Castlevania there is not much adventuring.
As I am thinking about it, the sort of games I had in mind had one common trait: you move in defined steps, not smoothly by pixels.

Try onEsacpee, it's a complete rip off of another world, but it's reasonable. Then Benefactor, and Impossible Mission 2025. All on the amiga

@White falcon, The PSX version of heart of darkness is identical to the PC version AFAIK I played both but enjoyed it more on the PSX, Probably because of the controls.

Flashback should run on Residual to run native

Blackthorne was a great game! I played it in DOS and didn't know there was a SNES version.. I'll try that out too

Abe is also very good

I never got round to finish Prince of persia 2 but will do on the SNES one day, I never heard of Metal mutant.. I will be sure to check that one out

:)

Back