Who's into Racing Games?

traylorpark

Very Active Member
I think this forum needs a specific section to talk about games that we play on the Pandora. For sure, many of us are playing some of these older games for the first time.

ANYWAYS...

Wondering who among you all are into racing games? Racing is my dirty secret genre that I never realized I actually really liked. So I'm thinking, with this little Panda baby in the palm of my hands (running at 1000 Panda Power), with access to a jungle of titles, what might be some fun racing games you all could recommend?

Anything, really. I'm a secret racing junky, but I tell everyone I'm into platformers.

I love Cannonball and could play that for hours at a time.

Cruising USA for the N64 is also a fav of mine.

I will never tire of F-Zero on any format.

I don't know if you are including Kart racing games?? My obvious choices would be Mario Kart--all Mario Karts and Diddy Kong Racing.

Last but not least Gran Turismo for PS1, a true masterpiece racing sim.

Thankfully,  these games play extremely well on the Pandora. :D

Last edited:
Games I enjoy on the Pandora, the Mario Kart games on SNES / N64, PS1 Colin Mcrae Rally.. My all time favorite is Stunts for DOS, I still have maps I made back in 1990..

Some LAN party favorites from a while back was Midtown Madness 2 ( Bank and Robber Mode) and Powerslide. 

When I think racing, I think only of three games. Outrun, Super Hang-On and Need for Speed. In the 80s I first bumped into the sit-down version of Outrun and my parents had to tear me out of the shopping mall every time we went there. I spent my whole allowance every time I went there. Then came my Sega Megadrive, and I got hold of Super Hang-On. Which I never got good at, but I played it a lot. Need for Speed. What can I say? The first realistic, fully 3D game I played. Sure, I had played Destruction Derby before that, however it was nothing like the thrill of going down a fast road in Need for Speed.

Of course, games like "Test Drive: Unlimited" are awesome too, but not Pandora Friendly =P

I love lots of racing games on the Pandora: Super Hang-On (Megadrive) Super Mario Kart (snes) Wip3out SE, Roadrash 3D, Gran Turismo 2, ToCA 2 and Colin McRae 2 on (Playstation) [i like racing games with 2's]

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep meaning to try Apogee's Death Rally via DosBox...  That would be amazing.

Oh, and for clarity, I mean the real original Death Rally, not that pile of sh*t they are selling on Steam. I was so disappointed with that, pity you can't refund it :(

For sure, the Playstation has a lot of great stuff! Wip3Out is freaking awesome still. The graphics might not be super flashy, but they are very well designed, so they still look good.

That was the first game I tried on my Panda. I very impressed how well the emulator handles these games.

That's a good idea to check out the mother of console racing sims, GT2. Like a racing rpg in my pocket! Colin McRae looks good, never thought of checking that out.

So the N64 emulator works pretty well then? I've never tried F-zero, I think I'm missing something.

Yeah, Stunts ... what a game ... dumbest tracks were made there.

Death Rally? that looks cool!

I'm also finding that playing racing games with headphones on, on the Pandora is very good, the audio on this little system is amazing.

Racing Games are my favourite genre as well!

My top-list of games would be:

AMIGA:

Lotus II & III

Road Rash

Test Drive II

DOS:

Stunts

Bleifuss (a.k.a. Screamer) <- always crashes on one track for me (on my favourite track of course), but otherwise quite playable

PS1:

Colin McRae Rally 2.0  <- must have!!!

Need For Speed (all of them)

Gran Toursimo I & II

Driver

Le Mans

There are a lot more, like Nascar, Indy Car and so on ... I'm a PC gamer and mainly use the PS1 emulator for those mid-90ies racing games that won't run under DosBox or Qemu. Unfortunately Sierra's PS1-version of Nascar Racing was unplayable for me ... don't remember exactly what the issue was, but the controls were more or less unusable ...

Pandora:

Cannonball

Skunks ... still needs a lot of improvement, but it's a nice start for a Stunts-like game.

We need something like Gene Rally on the Pandora :)

We need more racing games on the Pandora, no matter what it is ;)

Gene Rally was ace... always reminded me a bit of Skidmarks from the Amiga.

Skidmarks too! I loved that game, I must remember to try that too soon.

I love racing games too. Beside emulated one on the PS1 mainly (and Mario Kart on SNES), there are not a lot available on the Pandora. Canonball, SuperTuxKart and Skunks mainly. But that's a good start. RidgeRacer2 on PPSSPP is not far from playable, but not yet...

Some OpenRoad games, like Midtown Madness or Test Drive, or the NFS Underground serie, are missing :(

Generally is cool. It's a Windows+SDL, if the sources were available I would try to port it (using Wine and with SDL, it could work well).

Top Gear snes,

Lotus 1 Amiga

Sled Storm ps1

Chase Hq Amiga

Turbo Charge C64

Italian Job ps1

Stunt Car Racer c64/amiga

There are hardly any OpenSource Racing games and almost none that would run on the Pandora ... maybe TORCS (?) but I'd expect this to be a hell to port and it is probably not so much fun playing with the nubs?

Ultimate Stunts would also involve a lot of work I guess (think it is OpenGL based) http://www.ultimatestunts.nl/

If I had time and knew where to start I'd try to make a Lotus+RoadRash-Clone. Not great, but at least something. Unfortunately I don't have any time and wouldn't even know where to start (probably at the Pygame webpage, because Python is the only language I know good enough).

Oooh, oldie but goodie - Pitstop 2 on the C64 ^_^

I would suggest Porsche Challenge on PSX.
I tried that once, but somehow decided that NFS Porsche is better ... it has great graphics and nice physics though. Probably the fact that you can only drive the Boxter put me off(?)
Vanishing Point (has nothing to do with the movie unfortunately) is interesting but difficult. Max Power Racing seems to be one of the better racers on the PS1 as well.

There's also Road Rash on the PS1 ... there are several, but I'm thinking of the one that's like a remake of the classic RoadRash with enhanced graphics. There was also a PC version available.

Another racing game that is very enjoyable on PSX is NASCAR Rumble (tested on my CC pandora @ 600Mhz and work really good).

PS1:

Colin McRae Rally 2.0  <- must have!!!

Need For Speed (all of them)

Gran Toursimo I & II

Driver

Le Mans
have you got this to run on Pandora, if so how? my disk image always seems to crash no matter what i do

I bought a PS1 racing game package from ebay after I got my pandora.

- Need for Speed - Porsche

- Gran Tourismo

- Colin McRae Rally 1 & 2

All of the are quite cool!

I like GT and CMR2 best... B)

(I'm looking forward to DraStic beeing able to run TrackMania at a decent speed ^_^ )

Back