Why Can't The Pandora Emulate The Ps2?

CokeCanNinja

Still Fresh
I was looking at the hardware of the PS2 and it seems like it has enough processing power. Or am I missing something?

It does not. Emulation usually takes 7x more CPU power than the original system(Not a 100% true rule, but when wondering if it will work, think 7x more powerful), especially for one as complex as the PS2. I'll let the experts take it from here :)

For example, the Pandora is just barely handling N64, it takes a high quality PC to emulate PS2.

I just think that as soon as the Pandora CAN emulate the pS2 well, it will get way more popular because of the sheer number of PS2 games.

It's *just* possible that you may be overestimating the amounts of people who care about PS2 games. :p

Do you really think that there'll be people queueing up to play the likes of this and this? After all, it's stuff like this that helps make up those sheer numbers. :)

Hell's gonads, are you serious?? I have a moderately stonking PC at work that can't handle PS2 emulation very well.

CokeCanNinja said:
I just think that as soon as the Pandora CAN emulate the pS2 well, it will get way more popular because of the sheer number of PS2 games.

Well it won't EVER emulate PS2. Heck there isn't even a real good PS2 emulator out there, Well there is one that is decent. And the one out there that is any good needs a top of the line PC to run it decently.

So pS2 on the Pandora playable ..... never gonna happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason that emulation takes so much more power is that you're not simply running PS2 (or whatever console) games on the hardware. You have to have a software which imitates the actual console. Technically speaking, hardware-wise, you have fallen for the clock speed myth. There is much more to a processor than its speed. The architecture means a lot, and in emulation so does the firmware. You're not just playing a PS2 game in an emulator, you're recreating the whole PS2 including CPU, GPU, memory card, and disc system. It's difficult to code and optimize a PS2 emulator, requires 1 gb of memory (last time I checked), and the Pandora simply doesn't have the horsepower.

jonjandran said:
Well it won't EVER emulate PS2.

Oh, well that's a disappointment. I was mainly going to buy a Pandora so the guys who make it would be able to kept making better versions until in a few years there would be one that could emulate PS2. Oh well, it still has Wi-Fi.

Alerino said:
in five years, you will buy Pandora 3 that will emulate PS3 and XBOX 360

If that happens, I will be so happy. But it won't. So I'm sad.

Xian Long said:
i consider a few frames per minute playable. so the answer is yes!

I dunno, Nintendo DS can run BSNES at just under 1fps, maybe > 1fps for PCSX2 on Pandora isn't impossible?

(you know, like 2fps)

CokeCanNinja said:
Gruso said:
Will you be ok?

Maybe, I don't know. I think I need a hug.
I'd hug you, but I may or may not be a registered sex offender in all of the continental United States (and Canada - but don't ask me about Canada).

in about 5-10 years i don't see why it couldn't. the newest ARM A9 cores run at 1Ghz and the site says that they can be put in a configuration of up to 4. i will admit to not knowing much of anything about emulation but if it was highly optimized and was running on a 1.5Ghz quad core it may run. (again i'm talking 5-10 years)

my laptop is running a 2.4Ghz Intel core 2 duo and most games (that can run on the emu) run at near full speed

Back