Why is it not allowed to post copyrighted stuff?

Mali has split this from another topic, in which somebody wanted to post magazine scans of a Pandora article from a German magazine.

Our highly respectable moderator edited out the links.

I guess the question Mali wants to raise here, is should this be allowed?

I originally posted this picture as a joke:

police_brutality.jpg

^ I see where you are heading with that. Sometimes you err when you think someone is a nice guy.

mali said:
^ I see where you are heading with that. Sometimes you err when you think someone is a nice guy.

Why did you remove the magazine scans?

That seems massively heavy handed when you put it in context (it was a piece promoting our handheld and this community).

Context is pretty key to these things, and you need a little sensitivity... or else you become this guy:

ed_209.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not allowed because someone could sue the owner of the forum and shut the community down, that's why.

mali said:
It's not allowed because someone could sue the owner of the forum and shut the community down, that's why.

Is that really true?

Why haven't I seen any other forums sued out of existance for magazine scans? Now obviously I don't want this place to go, or Ed get screwed over, but is this just paranoia?

As far as I knew, it works like this: Company X says 'Please remove copyrighted stuff and you say 'Okay, our apologies'. Nobody sues?

IIRC Hando was always pretty tight on this kind of thing. We all want to respect the founder's feelings, kay?

I don't think it is true. There are dozens of scans posted in to this forum all over the place.

I think the worst that could happen would be the magazine asking for the scan to be removed. But since this is an English forum and the magazine was not English I can't see them having an issue.

You know people can't just whip you in to court on a whim, they have to make reasonable efforts to solve the situation first.

Warez are copyrighted software, scans are copyrighted magazines. Just a different kind of media format. We can discuss why movie links are not allowed and whatever else. It's copyrighted and if you don't have the permission from the author it gets removed.

Our Admin can say something and if he decides it's ok I'll approve the post.
Btw, as a forum junkie I know that scans have been removed before.

Again though Mali, think of the context.

Doesn't Ed run these boards? So these boards and the Pandora project are part of the same thing.

It just seemed way too much force for the situation Rookie. Even when I posted links to a gp2x torrent site on here, Chip was nice enough to send me a PM before editing my post. In it he wrote (pretty much exactly):

"We know that site exists. We all use it, just that nobody ever talks about it. Sorry I have to edit your post."

So Chip had a fair hand after all, even though he wore his badass persona in public. :)

We might as well stop youtube links... or even screen shots? Where do you want this to end? I think we should be told.

SomeGuy99 said:
It just seemed way too much force for the situation Rookie. Even when I posted links to a gp2x torrent site on here, Chip was nice enough to send me a PM before editing my post. In it he wrote (pretty much exactly):

"We know that site exists. We all use it, just that nobody ever talks about it. Sorry I have to edit your post."

So Chip had a fair hand after all, even though he wore his badass persona in public. :)
Now you're talking about something else. Is it the censorship of the scans that you're worried about, or mali's conduct?

quote said:
Now you're talking about something else. Is it the censorship of the scans that you're worried about, or mali's conduct?

Both. They are the same thing!

But the censorship bothered me without knowing it was Mali.

Let's just stick with calling Hando our founder :) . He hardly runs the boards anymore really.

Edit: Bye, mali. You deserve the break. Thanks for all you've done for the community.

craig : you had your iphonegame being pirated in 30 min ? and now you post something like this : let them post the scans , they can't do anything against it ..........

chaosfx said:
craig : you had your iphonegame being pirated in 30 min ? and now you post something like this : let them post the scans , they can't do anything against it ..........
I like that.

It's not only about whether or not you can get away with it; it's about simple respect for the creator. Craig, I could have pirated your iPhone game in a flash but I didn't. Not because I was scared of getting caught (that's impossible), but because I respect the effort and time that went into making it. And yes, I know magazines aren't quite the same.
So maybe it's best not to think about how easily they could take us to court or catch us. Think about the other reason instead. We need to draw the line somewhere, and mali did just that.

craigix said:
We might as well stop youtube links... or even screen shots? Where do you want this to end? I think we should be told.
Craig, come on. He set the limits to copyright. Adding a link to a youtube video don't infringe any copyright (else google will handle this anyway)
Screenshot are not copyright material too (if it's yours at the very least.
Scanning a magazine and distribute it is warez (as in not legal). I would agree that it could enter the "fair use rule". But this would stand in court only if the scan was bad enough.
This is in the grey-zone.
Mali as the only forum mod active around decided that this wasn't legal enough for him. Is he right or wrong ? I don't know.
Knowing how large is the ED's backlog, ensuring he don't have to handle a take down notice isn't a bad choice either....
At the very least he has done the best he though, so there is no need to sound rude.
So what do we have here :
SomeGuy wasn't the fair guy he was before.
Mali is unhappy with the moderation and sound like in a bad mood
You are way more harsh than you were once.
So 3 guys with a bad mood. Anyone else ? this is therapy day :D

chaosfx said:
I lolled hard on this one :)
But this could explain why I feel that craig is in no good mood since a few weeks.

The way that I see most forums handle this is that they wont allow the direct posting of images in the forum but they will allow posting links to the pages being hosted elsewhere. This way the copyrighted material isnt directly attributed to the forum just the person that posted them should a publisher choose to take action.

One or two instances isnt a horrible thing by any forum standards, it's when it later becomes an established practice and happens every day that it becomes a fear.

Back