Wifi Adapter Rt2870

Viranimus

Still Fresh
Ok I am about at my wits end with trying to get the wifi connectivity to work on the caanoo.

I just got my RMAd Buffalo Nfinity WLI-UC-GN adapter in. Out of the box it is doing the same thing the first one did. When I try to connect to wifi it says Network not available. Wifi ended.

I do not get an icon on the caanoo identifying that there is something plugged into the USB host like I would if It were a flash drive. But, I do get a LED light indicating that it is being powered on the adapter itself.

On the first one I ran 1.0.1 firmware. I upgraded to 1.5.0 firmware in anticipation of the new adapter.

I have also reconfirmed with Buffalo tech support that this exact adapter is indeed the RAlink RT2870 chipset.

So.. I have taken more drastic measures. I located the Linux driver for the RT2870 and attempted to attach the driver software in the hope that having the contingent driver files might make it pick up. I also tried to access from the caanoo the driver files, to no avail. Ive killed the passwords on my router. Ive had the caanoo sitting on top of my router. Ive tried force port identify on the router. Ive read every document I have been able to find regarding Caanoo & wifi between here, FunGP FAQs, Dingooitys forums regarding the caanoo, Ive even tried scouring Youtube videos related to Caanoo and wifi in the hopes I might see something that will give me an idea on what im doing wrong. Everything ive done thus far has failed, and I have not the slightest clue what else to try from here. I get the feeling that this is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees on my part, and that what im missing is likely so tiny it would be embarrasing.

Is there a driver I should be downloading? Are there WiZ dependencies Im not aware of? Is there a program I should have already installed? Has anyone else actually gotten this specific adapter to work? I admit I am new to this scene, So I have to humbly ask for any ideas on where I should go from here with this. ANY input rendered would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you can telnet via usbnet into the caanoo and then see what happens when you plug the wifi adapter in? From there you can try and understand what is happening and not happening, maybe look at kernel messages (dmesg) etc.

I wouldn't know myself what is suppose to happen, so i'm not much help. My Caanoo gets internet access by me first removing the usb_storage kernel module and inserting the g_ether module (i don't have an adapter). I then manually set up the network interface, routing and DNS and whatnot like this:

# Internet access
/sbin/ifconfig usb0 inet 192.168.2.202 netmask 255.255.255.0 network 192.168.2.0
route add default gw 192.168.2.200
echo "nameserver 208.67.222.222" > /etc/resolv.conf
/usr/sbin/telnetd -l /bin/sh &

But i'm sure this stuff should be happening automatically somehow. Good luck with your continued hunt :)

/Uni

Thank you for the idea Uni. Actually since I posted this, Setting up the USBnet has what ive been working on most the morning. Unfortunately, I seemingly cannot get that to function likely in part because I am running on Win7. I am learning as I go, but truth me told the Caanoo is my first experience with anything remotely linux. I got it in October and in a month and a half ive learned alot, but no where near enough to handle this on my own yet.

I did try to set up the USBnet plus the demo driver that the forum suggested, but I got roadblocks because I could not seemingly locate the .inf file in order to modify it to make it work and Windows 7 ALMOST got it, but it failed in the end.

So, I am likely going to call it a night and try to approach it again with fresh eyes in the next day or so (Stupid finals getting in my way) So USBnet is on my drawing board. I am open to any other ideas out there as well to investigate in the meantime.

Thank you for the input, its greatly appreciated.

There is also some info in this thread if it helps:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57578-driver-for-realtek-wifi-dongle/

I don't know how to get usbnet to work on windows. Notaz' usb thread is here, but you probably already found it:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56634-usb-ethernet-with-stock-usb-cable/

If you reach a brick wall, one option is to install ubuntu in a Viratual Box (or some other virtualization software) inside windows. But it needs to have access to the usb ports, so it can see when you connect the caanoo :) Or run ubuntu from a usb pen. If you do, i think you only need to add this to /etc/network/interfaces and your Caanoo should get connected:

auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.2.200
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.2.0
broadcast 192.168.2.255
route default gw 192.168.0.1

(I'm not sure the route default gw is needed though). I also added this to my /etc/hosts file so i can refer to my caanoo by name:

192.168.2.202 caanoo

Which will allow you to:

telnet caanoo

and wauala, you're at a terminal on the caanoo, where you can type commands directly and manipulate, look at dmesg|tail etc.

Good luck :)

P.s. I am no linux expert either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my BUFFALO Wirles N150 ultra compact WLI-UC-GNM through the post and it has the right chipset but its not working on the Caanoo this thing is tiny man love it my firmware is 1.5.0

BUFFILO.jpg

Looks like we have the same problem dude :(

ruffnutts said:
I just got my BUFFALO Wirles N150 ultra compact WLI-UC-GNM through the post and it has the right chipset but its not working on the Caanoo this thing is tiny man love it my firmware is 1.5.0

BUFFILO.jpg

Looks like we have the same problem dude :(

Oh yeah... btw just as fair warning. Dont ever bother to contact buffalos customer service number. Sure it was nice to call a call center and actually get someone in the US Not in india or the phillipenes for a change of pace, but they REALLY hate when you wake them from their naps. Between 3 calls ive NEVER encountered such hateful CSRs in my life (and I used to be one, so ive seen them all) and all i wanted to do is get an actual confirmation that this chip does in fact utilize the RT2870 chipset.((honestly, with CSR like that, it wouldnt surprise me if they just claim its the RT2870 chipset.. cause no one seemed to know 100% for sure.. and one CSRs answer was " I dunno.. lets see what google has to say about it")

Yeah its a cruel joke. Im inches away from breaking down and dropping 22$ on buying a friggen Lincoln log sized official dongle.

But I think its a point of principle now that Ive GOT to figure this out.. even if I do get the official dongle, Ive already RMAd this adapter twice now, im not prepared to do it again.

Anyway.. In the mean time, Uni, Again I think you might be pushing me in the right direction. Ive downloaded and installed Virtual box as well as downloaded Ubuntu. Ive always intended to learn linux, I have just been putting it off for years, so now seems as good a time as any to get my feet wet. The caanoo just works as solid motivation to do so.

Im going to crash out from taking some of my finals today, but When I get up Ill try to install it and See if I can get the USBnet method working so I can get a better feel for whats going on. Ill update as I go along and perhaps we can work this issue out for both me and Ruff

According to this forum it is a Ralink chipset

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/wireless/447246-buffalo-wli-uc-gnm-wireless-n-driver-opensuse11-3-x86_64-a.html

ruffnutts

Did either of you make any progress? Probably a silly question, as you'd have updated as if so.

I'm reluctant to buy the official adapter due to its insane size, but haven't actually seen any evidence of anyone getting one of the smaller dongles to work.

So sitting on the fence and doing nothing for a while - perhaps should get both a small one and official as thats probably a good way of debugging the problem with non official ones...

andyB911 said:
Did either of you make any progress? Probably a silly question, as you'd have updated as if so.

I'm reluctant to buy the official adapter due to its insane size, but haven't actually seen any evidence of anyone getting one of the smaller dongles to work.

So sitting on the fence and doing nothing for a while - perhaps should get both a small one and official as thats probably a good way of debugging the problem with non official ones...

Well it turns out my adapter is a Ralink RT2870v chipset which is newer than Viranimus Invictus`s.. Rikku was helping me to sort it out
But I havn`t as of yet - Im not giving up hope yet maybe some clever dev will make a driver that wil work with loads of dongles in the future

ruffnutts ;)

Are there any nano adapters like this one that are verified and working? I'll drop the cash on one if there is. I'd never invest in the Caanoo one, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Back