WiFi connections on the move

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I've started using my Pandora as my sound system in my car, which means it's on more between various places I visit, and that's indicated a quite annoying "bug".

If I have WiFi on whilst at home, then get in the car and drive to my parents, or the missus' place, a box pops up asking for confirmation to my home WiFi password. Whilst this box is present, it will not connect to any other known networks that I visit.

Are there any settings I can change so that if it loses it's connection, it just retries with the known password if the network is still in the available list, or just reverts back to an idle state whilst waiting for a network it can connect to?

Cheers

did you unlock the keyring? I did and now it auto connects to home wifi without me having to type a password, or if i'm out it shows me available networks (both locked and unlocked networks)

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, I always have to unlock the keyring to get my first connection after enabling WiFi

Sorry, I think you've misunderstood the problem - probably my description.

The keyring works fine, it remembers my WiFi passwords for all the places I go, however, when I physically leave the area of one WiFi, rather than just disconnecting quietly, it pops up a box as though it's trying to reconnect and struggling (which it will do, because I'm no longer in the vacinity of the connection). This prevents the Pandora from trying to connect to any other WiFi signals whilst it's open - and I would like to just arrive at my parents house (for example) and it just connect to their WiFi now that I'm there

The passwords themselves aren't actually a problem

Edit: I also find it quite interesting that you linked my own release to me as a possible solution. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ah ok, i know it sounds simple but if thats the case perhaps you should simply untoggle wifi as you leave and reactivate it when you arrive at a new location instead of leaving it activated (maybe this would make a saving on battery usage too)

This might just work for you. I haven't checked to see if our NM has that option. I found it on a quick search before heading off to work. :)

This might just work for you. I haven't checked to see if our NM has that option. I found it on a quick search before heading off to work. :)
Hmm, that checkbox is there, but it is disabled.

However, on editing the connection it says

The application 'nm-connection-editor' wants to access the password for .....
and I can Always Allow, wonder if that'll help? Although technically nm-applet and nm-connection-editor are different applications

Ah, I know what you're talking about. Since I use my Pandora between home and office, I have to close the window twice a day. I've gotten so used to it I literally don't even think about it anymore.

Would be nice to figure out the root cause though. This particular feature is outside my realm of expertise.

I assume that it thinks if it's been disconnected from the network that the password is wrong - which is why it'll pop up the password box again. I guess it's hard to test without a  different "mobile" linux device

In Windows, you can find desktop windows by title or a "class" name. Can you do the same in XFCE/X11? If so, could look at writing an app/daemon to see if the window has been open for more than 30 seconds, and if so, closes it.

The problem seems to be some dev wanted to be helpful and detect when your AP's password changed.  The problem is, their logic for detecting this is broken, and it can be triggered by a weak Wifi connection.

But they then made it *stay* broken, because once they mis-guess, they push up a box and valiantly refuse to look at the fact that the AP has gone away, or improved in signal strength.  So you stay off the net until you open up your Pandora, unlock the screen, and push the "cancel" button.  Maybe you were hoping to hear a notification for a text message or something?  Too bad.

To put it another way, most mobile devices will move out of range of an AP thousands of times more often than the AP changes password.  But this software will take down your networking in the belief that it's a 50-50 proposition.  Sigh.

Back