Wifi Problem

DrCJBoduma

Website
Visit site
Hi,
hoping this is not a repeat topic.

my wifi seems to be playing up (and has been since day 1) I can occasionally get a decent connection, but all too often the connection seems temperamental, the browser (chromium, fennec etc) just hang while loading pages, downloads seem to get a load of data downloaded initially and then grind to a halt and slow to a stop. Sometime pausing and unpausing will eventually get the download to fall over the line, but it makes for a less than pleasing web experience.

Is it just me??

Thanks for any advice

CJ

It's a known issue, it works well with some routers, not so well with others. There's not much you can do except try running this in a terminal:
Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M auto
It might help, or it might not, it'll revert back to normal when you reboot though.
Hopefully they'll figure out a fix soon.

This didn't work for me.
Your symptoms are identical to mine.
The wifi fixes which came in with Hotfix 4 dramatically improved wifi connection reliability, but speed still needs fixing.

j.pickens said:
This didn't work for me.
The wifi fixes which came in with Hotfix 4 dramatically improved wifi connection reliability, but speed still needs fixing.

Doesn't seem to be working for me either. I've not noticed any improvement with HF4 either. In some ways I'm glad it's not just me :)

CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
DrCJBoduma said:
j.pickens said:
This didn't work for me.

Doesn't seem to be working for me either. I've not noticed any improvement with HF4 either. In some ways I'm glad it's not just me :)

CJ

No, wifi problems does not exist!

j/k, I imagine you've spent time playing with your router settings etc?

I've tried changing router settings and channels.
Still strange wifi behavior.
For instance, when running Minitube, it will stream the first 10 or 15 seconds of a video very well, then stutters to unusability.
And when using Chromium or Fennec to download a file, it will download the first 0.5 to 1 MB nearly instantaneously, then
slow to a crawl, and settle at around 60kB/sec.

Not sure if this is OS, memory, or wifi, actually, but many others have reported similar behavior.

Well I don't have my unit at the moment, but mine worked on WEP encryption for a while, then stopped working, then started working again when I changed to WPA2.

j.pickens said:
I've tried changing router settings and channels.
Still strange wifi behavior.
For instance, when running Minitube, it will stream the first 10 or 15 seconds of a video very well, then stutters to unusability.
And when using Chromium or Fennec to download a file, it will download the first 0.5 to 1 MB nearly instantaneously, then slow to a crawl, and settle at around 60kB/sec.

Not sure if this is OS, memory, or wifi, actually, but many others have reported similar behavior.

Yeah this is exactly it. I have tried changing the channel (?) of the router, but this seems to have little effect.

This would be the one thing that would improve the panda experience the most. Am VERY happy with everything else, was playing broken sword last night and loving it.

CJ

yup same wifi issues here, its been reported many times and raised as a bug already.

also see here.

EvilDragon said:
Well, we're thinking about sending a Pandora to the developer of the Nokia N900 WiFi driver. Maybe he wants to pickup and can help us a bit :)

The biggest problem is it's difficult to test. The problem is either with the Pandora or with the router (or more specifically, how the Pandora interacts with the router). The best way to diagnose the problem is to get one person who's Pandora works perfectly, one person who's Pandora works terribly, and maybe a person with mid range success, bring them together, and attempt to mix and match routers to Pandoras to see if it makes any difference at all. Without that data, it's mostly guess work as to what the real cause is. Trouble is finding such people in a close enough proximity that are willing to do so.

WizardStan said:
The biggest problem is it's difficult to test. The problem is either with the Pandora or with the router (or more specifically, how the Pandora interacts with the router). The best way to diagnose the problem is to get one person who's Pandora works perfectly, one person who's Pandora works terribly, and maybe a person with mid range success, bring them together, and attempt to mix and match routers to Pandoras to see if it makes any difference at all. Without that data, it's mostly guess work as to what the real cause is. Trouble is finding such people in a close enough proximity that are willing to do so.

It is deffinatley a driver/software issue not a router/hardware issue it is true that the pandora works fine with some routers but not others, its the driver that's responsible for this.

milkshake said:
It is deffinatley a driver/software issue not a router/hardware issue it is true that the pandora works fine with some routers but not others, its the driver that's responsible for this.
It's both. It is a router issue in that some routers work better than others for some reason. It is a driver issue in that, as soon as you figure out what the difference between two routers is, you can start implementing a way around it. Having trouble figuring out what exactly is the difference between a router that works and one that doesn't though.

Back