wifi

gibberish

So I read yesterday that the wifi problem has actually been acknowledged as a fault with the hardware. When I first got my Pandora in May 2010 I spent weeks trying to get help with this but was just repeatedly told that my router was probably at fault. Wifi problems, along with the very selective charging on my unit, the left analog pad that sometimes goes clunk for no reason and the hinge that barely holds the LCD in place meant that I've very rarely used my Pandora. Which hurts, because it was all I thought about for over a year whilst waiting for it to arrive.

I'm assuming that for production going forwards the wifi issue is resolved? And I'm willing to guess that some of these other issues have been resolved as well? Is there any chance I can swap my slightly dodgy Pandora for a new one with fully working WIFI?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I read yesterday that the wifi problem has actually been acknowledged as a fault with the hardware.
Do you have a link to that discussion? This is the first I've heard of it being a proven hardware problem.

WiFi itself hasn't changed, where did you read it is a fault with the hardware (unless your unit is broken).

What exactly is your issue with WiFi?

Have you tried different access points?

Abbout the analog pad: It goes clunk if the case around it is a bit too high. Push it down a bit.

About charging: What is wrong with it?

Are you using the latest firmware release?

I got a newer German made Pandora, compared to my early Batch 1 Pandora, the Bandwidth is much better, no disconnect problems.. I can Stream videos from my samba file server without issues, where my original Pandora couldn't even stream a 320x240 divx file due to the low speed.

I was lucky both my Pandora units seemed to avoid having any case issues.

I got a newer German made Pandora, compared to my early Batch 1 Pandora, the Bandwidth is much better, no disconnect problems.. I can Stream videos from my samba file server without issues, where my original Pandora couldn't even stream a 320x240 divx file due to the low speed.

I was lucky both my Pandora units seemed to avoid having any case issues.

Well, nothing has changed regarding WiFi, so maybe your old unit has some issues?

Or it's the updated memory... did you try the new kernel on the old unit?

I've got my old and new unit, and both of them have the same WiFi speed.

Well, nothing has changed regarding WiFi, so maybe your old unit has some issues?

I wouldn't doubt it, I never had any disconnect issues, but the wifi speed was a bit slow.. For me the new unit is much better speed wise. I think it's because GC is doing a better job populating the boards compared to CC.

How is the USB dongle "better"?

its better because most people are lucky to get 100kb/sec out of the circuit co internal wifi with constant dropped connections

OK so it's not an acknowledgement from the team so much, but to learn that this problem is widespread with CC manufactured boards answers some questions I was asking 2 years ago. 100KB/s would be a dream for me, I am lucky to get 20KB/s. I never managed to download anything from the appstore using my Pandora because it either drops connection before it completes the download or I decide it'd be quicker to just pull the bloody SD out and do it from my desktop.

WiFi itself hasn't changed, where did you read it is a fault with the hardware (unless your unit is broken).

What exactly is your issue with WiFi? - extremely slow as outlined above. dropped connections sometimes as well.

Have you tried different access points? - i bought a new router on the advice given to me last time and it made not a jot of difference. same issues at gfs house as well.

Abbout the analog pad: It goes clunk if the case around it is a bit too high. Push it down a bit. - push the analog pad down a bit? it'll stop it clunking forever?

About charging: What is wrong with it? - either the charger or the connection is dodgy, a lot of the time making the pandora actually take a charge is a 20 minute task of rebooting and cable waggling. worse, if i put my pandora on to charge overnight, most the time when i wake up in the morning it's somehow drained back to 10% again

Are you using the latest firmware release? - last time i tried to resolve these issues i updated, maybe 6 months ago.

OK so it's not an acknowledgement from the team so much, but to learn that this problem is widespread with CC manufactured boards answers some questions I was asking 2 years ago. 100KB/s would be a dream for me, I am lucky to get 20KB/s. I never managed to download anything from the appstore using my Pandora because it either drops connection before it completes the download or I decide it'd be quicker to just pull the bloody SD out and do it from my desktop.

Most of the first CC Pandoras are working fine, only the ones produced after the boards started to corrode had weird issues.

But those were the later ones

What exactly is your issue with WiFi? - extremely slow as outlined above. dropped connections sometimes as well.

Have you tried different access points? - i bought a new router on the advice given to me last time and it made not a jot of difference. same issues at gfs house as well.

Are you using the latest firmware release? - last time i tried to resolve these issues i updated, maybe 6 months ago.

Try upgrading to the latest firmware (SuperZaxxon Beta 4).

There have been A LOT of WiFi fixes and for some users it did miracles.

Abbout the analog pad: It goes clunk if the case around it is a bit too high. Push it down a bit. - push the analog pad down a bit? it'll stop it clunking forever?

Not the pad, the housing around the pad.

About charging: What is wrong with it? - either the charger or the connection is dodgy, a lot of the time making the pandora actually take a charge is a 20 minute task of rebooting and cable waggling. worse, if i put my pandora on to charge overnight, most the time when i wake up in the morning it's somehow drained back to 10% again

Do you have a PSP charger to check?

Try upgrading to the latest firmware (SuperZaxxon Beta 4).

There have been A LOT of WiFi fixes and for some users it did miracles.
That is true. The new Betas did indeed improve the stability immensly but only under the old kernel.

Using the 3.2 Kernel I have even worse behaviour than before and can call myself lucky to get one or even two pings through to google.

Back