Wikipandora Project

rmm2131

I remember the Wikipandora project that Atomicthumbs was working on where you could use Wikipedia offline on your Pandora through Firefox so I thought i'd ask if it's still a go here. How big is the file we'd have to download onto an SDHC card BTW? I use a Tomeraider TR3 Wikipedia file on my PC and it really is convenient so this would be nice to have.

http://download.wikimedia.org/

I'm certain that all you would need is a web browser to view the html dumps. But a frontend designed for the pandora would be nice too.

atomicthumbs said:
~2.5-5 gb of files

That's wonderful and you're wonderful Atomicthumbs. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A27X4GXWBxM

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunatic said:
I'm certain that all you would need is a web browser to view the html dumps.  But a frontend designed for the pandora would be nice too.

Yes, but the static HTML dumps are old, and you can't search them.

The Pandora is an upcoming handheld game console, due to be released to the public in July or August of 2008.

The wikipedia backups arent html, theyre a specially coded xml file. (~25GB). Youd probably want to look into porting encyclopedia for ipod or wikitaxi, if its opensource. WikiTaxi's database is 5GB though, vs ipods 2GB(latest backup). Ive been working on trying to get a port of encyclopedia for ipod working for the past few weeks, cooincidentally, for exactly this purpose.

zacaj said:
The wikipedia backups arent html, theyre a specially coded xml file. (~25GB). Youd probably want to look into porting encyclopedia for ipod or wikitaxi, if its opensource. WikiTaxi's database is 5GB though, vs ipods 2GB(latest backup). Ive been working on trying to get a port of encyclopedia for ipod working for the past few weeks, cooincidentally, for exactly this purpose.
The backups come in two flavours: the database backups, which requires a backend in order to display them, but are nearly as functional as Wikipedia itself; and the static HTML dumps, which require nothing more than a web browser to view them, though they are lacking in features and are horrendously out of date.
Someone was working on a backend for the Pandora, but if nothing else, we can use the static HTML dumps.

AFAIK Atomicthumbs is writing a custom (searchable) backend to the XML files himself. The idea being that you access it from Firefox or any other browser.

Looks like yet another way to subvert the utility of the WikiReader (OpenMoko's "plan B" when they gave up the ghost of making a fully open phone).

problem is, none of them include pictures I believe, as wikipedia doesnt allow crawling of their media.

Back