Will It Ba Able To Run Media Apps Like Vlc/amorak?

bob vansteel

Still Fresh
Sorry if this has already been asked before, but will the pandora be capable of running media apps like VLC player and amorak. I plan on selling my ipod touch for a pandora, but i want to make sure it will be able to do these same basic functions.

I have also heard the pandora will include firefox 3 as it's browser is this true?

I am guessing this all is possible seeing as it will be running a custom debian distro i just wanted to clear things up.

bob vansteel said:
Sorry if this has already been asked before, but will the pandora be capable of running media apps like VLC player and amorak. I plan on selling my ipod touch for a pandora, but i want to make sure it will be able to do these same basic functions.

I have also heard the pandora will include firefox 3 as it's browser is this true?

I am guessing this all is possible seeing as it will be running a custom debian distro i just wanted to clear things up.
There is no guarantee that it will include FireFox 3, although I have a promise from a dev here that if no one else ports it that he sure would. ;)

Also, there will be good media players for the Pandora, but because of licensing issues and such, they probably won't come packaged with it and you'll have to get them off of the repository.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
bob vansteel said:

There is no guarantee that it will include FireFox 3, although I have a promise from a dev here that if no one else ports it that he sure would. ;)

Also, there will be good media players for the Pandora, but because of licensing issues and such, they probably won't come packaged with it and you'll have to get them off of the repository.

-God Ginrai

Great!!! idk if they come packaged, as long as I have the option i'm good to go! lol I lughed at the recent articles talking about how "the iphone is better than the psp and ds for gaming"...ROFL if only they knew...this pandora is seeming to be everything I dreamed a good protable console would be :D

One of the first videos made was of Squidge's OMAP dev board running MPlayer. Much like VLC, Mplayer will run just about every codec and container you can throw at it. Squidge's first quick and dirty port could play everything except h.264 right off the bat, and the devs expect to have an optimized codec for that ready at or near launch time. So yes, you're covered on the media player front.

As for Firefox, we know the OMAP3530 can handle it without breaking a sweat, so it's only a matter of time before somebody does a Pandora port.

Firefox 3 already runs on OMAP3, but it's really slow compared to Epiphany-webkit.

CyruzDraxs said:
Firefox 3 already runs on OMAP3, but it's really slow compared to Epiphany-webkit.
Awesome! LOL forget the dang restrictive appstore(ya i know jailbreak...i do, just playing ps1 with touchscreen controls is really annoying and difficult)...i'm sellin my ipod touch(s...getting a free one with iMac :) ) the pandora is perfect!

Wow, the Pandora is going to be amazing. The media playback on the gp2x was kinda depressing. And firefox3? Wow, it's what I use on my computer right now. I'm thinking I'll only do things on my Pandora for a few weeks, maybe end up doing 90% of everything on it in the future.

I was under the impression that Pandora would ship with a VLC port (or something similar) for media handling, as well as a web browser of some sort (I assumed Firefox). Was this ever official, or just ramblings of some madman here on the boards? :lol:

CronoTriggerfan said:
I was under the impression that Pandora would ship with a VLC port (or something similar) for media handling, as well as a web browser of some sort (I assumed Firefox). Was this ever official, or just ramblings of some madman here on the boards? :lol:
I seem to recall Craig talking about Firefox, although I don't know if he confirmed it officially.

However, neither VLC nor mplayer will ship with the Pandora due to the patent issues involved.

bob vansteel said:
Awesome! LOL forget the dang restrictive appstore(ya i know jailbreak...i do, just playing ps1 with touchscreen controls is really annoying and difficult)...i'm sellin my ipod touch(s...getting a free one with iMac :) ) the pandora is perfect!
chad78 said:
How much?
Just don't tell him about the control pad for the iPod Touch ;) http://www.icontrolpad.com/

CyruzDraxs said:
Dissapointing. Would it run better if it was adapted/spun off for the Pandora?

CronoTriggerfan said:
Totally the ravings of some madman. A "media player" will probably be included, but because of the patent infringing code and such in mplayer and VLC, it won't be very useful. (It'll probably be about as useful as one of the base install media players in Fedora)

As for web browser, there has been no announcement that one will be packaged with the system, however, they could always come around and make that announcement. You never know.

Tom` said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
I seem to recall Craig talking about Firefox, although I don't know if he confirmed it officially.

Craig only mentioned that he saw FireFox 3 running on OMAP3 hardware at TIDC.

-God Ginrai

nubie said:
bob vansteel said:
chad78 said:
How much?
Just don't tell him about the control pad for the iPod Touch ;) http://www.icontrolpad.com/

Haha...i've known about that scince they started that project...it's just kinda hard to play psx games with one d-pad and 4 buttons...

anyways, I sent chad78 a pm about it, but if any one esle is interested in buying my ipod touch don't hesittate to pm me about it.

bob vansteel said:
Haha...i've known about that scince they started that project...it's just kinda hard to play psx games with one d-pad and 4 buttons...

anyways, I sent chad78 a pm about it, but if any one esle is interested in buying my ipod touch don't hesittate to pm me about it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like 8 buttons. 6 face buttons and two shoulder triggers?

I realize it might be kind of difficult to play some games with 2 buttons missing, but surely most will play fine?

It must have SNES in mind more than PSX. Their could have been 4 trigger buttons, the extra pair to the inside of the corner triggers.

nubie said:
bob vansteel said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like 8 buttons. 6 face buttons and two shoulder triggers?

I realize it might be kind of difficult to play some games with 2 buttons missing, but surely most will play fine?

It must have SNES in mind more than PSX. Their could have been 4 trigger buttons, the extra pair to the inside of the corner triggers.

I don't think iControlPad has shoulder buttons. Although I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

-God Ginrai

Get ready to be glad. :p
ipad_final1.jpg

You can see them right there on the final build, plus they're also on all the renders. They're kinda tough to make out on the low-res pictures, but you can definitely see them.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Get ready to be glad. :p
ipad_final1.jpg

You can see them right there on the final build, plus they're also on all the renders. They're kinda tough to make out on the low-res pictures, but you can definitely see them.
LOL, check the bright chrome ones in the renders :p (although they are a bit hard to make out.)

http://www.icontrolpad.com/new_case2.jpg

I find it surprising that nobody put up the specs or a list of how the buttons interface in apps, or even how many buttons there are!

If PSX is really fullspeed then maybe 2 more buttons should have been added. (if there are traces for them and you can add tact switches yourself then it isn't a total loss.) Maybe they wanted to keep it as simple as possible so as not to ruin the looks of the unit compared to a sleek iPone (iPhod??).

Back